all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell, Bodyweight and Rings based workouts for BUD/S

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jaime Sanabria

Level 2 Valued Member
What would be the best fitness plan/movements to consider to meet the physical demands of Navy SEAL training (BUD/S) given that it consists of thousands of reps of pushups, situps, pullups, dips, etc (other calisthenic movements) daily, hours of log and boat pt, obstacle course runs, as well as timed runs and swims (to include serious treading skills). I have available to me the following:
-gymnastic rings
-1x 16 kg kettlebell
-1x 24kg kettlebell
-1x 32kg kettlebell
-a lap pool

I can buy more kettlebells if need be. I appreciate the help in advance. Thank you!

What would be the best fitness plan/movements to consider to meet the physical demands of Navy SEAL training (BUD/S) given that it consists of thousands of reps of pushups, situps, pullups, dips, etc (other calisthenic movements) daily, hours of log and boat pt, obstacle course runs, as well as timed runs and swims (to include serious treading skills). I have available to me the following:
-gymnastic rings
-1x 16 kg kettlebell
-1x 24kg kettlebell
-1x 32kg kettlebell
-a lap pool

I can buy more kettlebells if need be. I appreciate the help in advance. Thank you!

Those things will serve you well. I would add some deadlifts in there. You can never be too stronger and you should get as strong as possible without the pursuit of strength detracting from conditioning.

What are your run times like?

Those things will serve you well. I would add some deadlifts in there. You can never be too stronger and you should get as strong as possible without the pursuit of strength detracting from conditioning.

What are your run times like?
For the PST they're just about at a 9:00 for the 1.5 mile run

The more comfortable you can get with running as well, the better. Having a high work capacity will serve you immensely well.

You can't really mimic hell week in your training because it would be massively catabolic. Which would be counter to long term performance development.

When are you going into BUDS? What's your time frame you have to work with?

The more comfortable you can get with running as well, the better. Having a high work capacity will serve you immensely well.

You can't really mimic hell week in your training because it would be massively catabolic. Which would be counter to long term performance development.

When are you going into BUDS? What's your time frame you have to work with?
Thank you for the response. I am about 6 months out from BUDS at the moment

Thank you for the response. I am about 6 months out from BUDS at the moment

So you've got a good time length to prepare.

Before we go any further I need to add a disclaimer. I am not in the US military, I serve in the British military so take my advice for what it's worth. Al Ciampa I I beleive has served in the US military if I remember correctly.

Monday.
AM - 20-60min easy run
PM - 20min A+A KB Snatches

Tuesday.
AM - ring training
PM - 30min A+A KB Snatches

Wednesday.
AM - Deadlifts
PM - Hill Sprints

Thursday.
AM - 20-60min easy run
PM - 40min A+A KB Snatches

Friday.
AM - 20-30min easy run/swim
PM - 60min A+A KB Snatches

Saturday.
AM - 90-120min run (with hills and preferably over trails)
PM - rest

Sunday.
REST

My thinking? Aerobic capacity, work capacity, muscular endurance, running and swimming. You will have ample opportunity to work on all of these points. That's why there is a lot of sessions a day and that is before we get into GtG push ups and pull ups. Start off lighter and allow progress to feel organic.

2 months before that's when you will make your runs and swims more intense but ut will still be in a very slow and methodical manner.

Additional disclaimer. You will want to feel very confident in the water. However I don't know the pool situation where you live. If you are confident in your running then swap some of the shorter run sessions for a swim sessions.

Progressively overload your run durations and distances too. Don't go hard. Just get the miles in. The sprints are there for you to go hard on and you will be doing them later in the day after deadlifts so your posterior chain is fatigued. You will be tired in BUDS and the DS will keep applying the pressure regardless.

Hello,

@Jaime Sanabria
Stew Smith is a former SEAL and has plenty of books dedicated to this.
He also has a very interesting YT channel with plenty of information.

Craig Weller is a former SWCC and wrote an excellent book called "Building the Elite" which goes very deep in the topic of selection. It covers both physical and mental aspects.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
So you've got a good time length to prepare.

Before we go any further I need to add a disclaimer. I am not in the US military, I serve in the British military so take my advice for what it's worth. Al Ciampa I I beleive has served in the US military if I remember correctly.

Monday.
AM - 20-60min easy run
PM - 20min A+A KB Snatches

Tuesday.
AM - ring training
PM - 30min A+A KB Snatches

Wednesday.
AM - Deadlifts
PM - Hill Sprints

Thursday.
AM - 20-60min easy run
PM - 40min A+A KB Snatches

Friday.
AM - 20-30min easy run/swim
PM - 60min A+A KB Snatches

Saturday.
AM - 90-120min run (with hills and preferably over trails)
PM - rest

Sunday.
REST

My thinking? Aerobic capacity, work capacity, muscular endurance, running and swimming. You will have ample opportunity to work on all of these points. That's why there is a lot of sessions a day and that is before we get into GtG push ups and pull ups. Start off lighter and allow progress to feel organic.

2 months before that's when you will make your runs and swims more intense but ut will still be in a very slow and methodical manner.

Additional disclaimer. You will want to feel very confident in the water. However I don't know the pool situation where you live. If you are confident in your running then swap some of the shorter run sessions for a swim sessions.

Progressively overload your run durations and distances too. Don't go hard. Just get the miles in. The sprints are there for you to go hard on and you will be doing them later in the day after deadlifts so your posterior chain is fatigued. You will be tired in BUDS and the DS will keep applying the pressure regardless.
Thank you! Would the GTG pushups and pullups be everyday once they begin? For the record, here is the plan that I drew up based off of what I gathered from DragonDoor archives searching for how Pavel trained a former SEAL by the name of John Faas:

Mon-
-GTG/Ladders Pushups and Pullups
-USDOE for Snatches, Hindu Squats and Push Press
-Heavy Abs: Full Contact Twists, Janda Situps, Spider Lifts, Full splits
-Swings

Tues-
-Run (near max relaxation)
-Swim (near max relaxation)
-Swings

Wed-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm

Thurs-
-Swings

Fri-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm
-Swings

Sat-

Sun-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm

Here is the referenced "USDOE" workout: 50 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, then 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats, 1 minute rest. 40 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats. Continue down to 10 snatches with each arm, and keep up the squat sequence. You may break the number of snatches up as 50 snatches 25 reps right, 25 reps left and repeat to 50 reps; do not let KB's touch the ground. Once snatches are done I'll do 3 to 5 sets of either the simultaneous or the see-saw press for 10 to 15 reps. I prefer the simultaneous press you can get more leg action. Keep doing one legged squats or Hindu squats between sets. I finish with 3 sets of the ab routine mentioned.

^It takes me about 45 min-1 hour to complete with a 16kg kettlebell at the moment.

Hello,

@Jaime Sanabria
Stew Smith is a former SEAL and has plenty of books dedicated to this.
He also has a very interesting YT channel with plenty of information.

Craig Weller is a former SWCC and wrote an excellent book called "Building the Elite" which goes very deep in the topic of selection. It covers both physical and mental aspects.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Awesome! I have seen the Stew Smith stuff, but he doesn't seem to have too much kettlebell work integrated into his routines. Also I prefer ladders over Smith's pyramids for calisthenics, however I will definitely take some of his running and swimming advice, he seems to know a lot. Thank you for the resources.

Thank you! Would the GTG pushups and pullups be everyday once they begin? For the record, here is the plan that I drew up based off of what I gathered from DragonDoor archives searching for how Pavel trained a former SEAL by the name of John Faas:

Mon-
-Swings

Tues-
-Swings

Wed-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm

Thurs-
-Swings

Fri-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm
-Swings

Sat-

Sun-
-1x5 TGU e/a arm

Here is the referenced "USDOE" workout: 50 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, then 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats, 1 minute rest. 40 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats. Continue down to 10 snatches with each arm, and keep up the squat sequence. You may break the number of snatches up as 50 snatches 25 reps right, 25 reps left and repeat to 50 reps; do not let KB's touch the ground. Once snatches are done I'll do 3 to 5 sets of either the simultaneous or the see-saw press for 10 to 15 reps. I prefer the simultaneous press you can get more leg action. Keep doing one legged squats or Hindu squats between sets. I finish with 3 sets of the ab routine mentioned.

^It takes me about 45 min-1 hour to complete with a 16kg kettlebell at the moment.

I wouldn't even go that far mate.

In regards to grease the groove, something a little less structured. For example everytime you walk through your bedroom and kitchen door you do 5 pull ups and 10 push ups. Nothing intense but it quickly builds up.

I wouldn't even go that far mate.

In regards to grease the groove, something a little less structured. For example everytime you walk through your bedroom and kitchen door you do 5 pull ups and 10 push ups. Nothing intense but it quickly builds up.
Oh okay, I will scale it down a bit. I'm also experimenting with die rolls and more random tactical style periodization with my workouts. Something like having days where its just "Snatches" but roll a die to determine if its 10-60 min of A+A, or 10-60 min of running/swimming, same thing for sets/reps. Thoughts?

I think that might help with the GTG because I always forget to do the sets and I let hours go by without having done pushups or pullups, etc.

Hello,

From this link, there are other to go through which may be interesting.

I agree with @Starlord Doing something each time you go to the kitchen is something which will bring incertainty and which usually builds a lot of resiliency.

I really appreciate some of StrongFirst principles, so do not misunderstand me, but I'd like to underline a few points:
- Low rep training (for instance one arm push training) will transfer very well to high rep training of regular push ups, however, it will not build tendon strength. This is something you will need when performing hundreds of repetitions per day
- I remember an article where a former SEAL mentioned that in average, they ran 10km a day. Some days it went way more. Assuming this, you have to build tendon strength and leg stamina in the leg. So, A+A with snatches or swings may give you the cardiac output and may give you the "engine" (so the raw endurance). Nonetheless, running is a skill. You have to know how to breathe and pace during it. Performing snatches will not help you with the running technique (gait, feeling, etc...).
- The same goes for swimming. CSS is something fairly special. S. Smith have different video to properly drill it.
- You'll have to carry a log or a boat overhead for extented period of time. Then I'd focus on OVH resistance (kb press, HSPU) and core endurance. For a while, I did nothing but low rep core training. But as soons as I started to add higher rep (or higher intensity) for core training, my core endurance just went through the roof.

Not so long ago, I did a bootcamp with a former French Commando Marine, whose selection and training is similar to English SAS. I asked him, out of curiosity, how guys prepped. He answered something as simple as:
- run, do push ups, pull ups, rope climb, core, everyday. Gradually build up the volume
- put yourself in "discomfort": train outside in t-shirt regardless the weather, no hot showers, etc... Basically be "rustic".
- learn how to think under stress (stress can be physical or mental fatigue): for example, solving small math problem while tired, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

From this link, there are other to go through which may be interesting.

I agree with @Starlord Doing something each time you go to the kitchen is something which will bring incertainty and which usually builds a lot of resiliency.

I really appreciate some of StrongFirst principles, so do not misunderstand me, but I'd like to underline a few points:
- Low rep training (for instance one arm push training) will transfer very well to high rep training of regular push ups, however, it will not build tendon strength. This is something you will need when performing hundreds of repetitions per day
- I remember an article where a former SEAL mentioned that in average, they ran 10km a day. Some days it went way more. Assuming this, you have to build tendon strength and leg stamina in the leg. So, A+A with snatches or swings may give you the cardiac output and may give you the "engine" (so the raw endurance). Nonetheless, running is a skill. You have to know how to breathe and pace during it. Performing snatches will not help you with the running technique (gait, feeling, etc...).
- The same goes for swimming. CSS is something fairly special. S. Smith have different video to properly drill it.
- You'll have to carry a log or a boat overhead for extented period of time. Then I'd focus on OVH resistance (kb press, HSPU) and core endurance. For a while, I did nothing but low rep core training. But as soons as I started to add higher rep (or higher intensity) for core training, my core endurance just went through the roof.

Not so long ago, I did a bootcamp with a former French Commando Marine, whose selection and training is similar to English SAS. I asked him, out of curiosity, how guys prepped. He answered something as simple as:
- run, do push ups, pull ups, rope climb, core, everyday. Gradually build up the volume
- put yourself in "discomfort": train outside in t-shirt regardless the weather, no hot showers, etc... Basically be "rustic".
- learn how to think under stress (stress can be physical or mental fatigue): for example, solving small math problem while tired, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'
Pet,

Thank you for the lengthy response. I appreciate it. Just a few questions:
-so for GTG I should stick with regular pushups and the 50% of max rule?
-was the essence of the Marine's advice that you should do all of the things that you would encounter during training everyday? And how much is too much for pushups, pullups, etc to avoid overtraining?

Hello,

@Jaime Sanabria
You are welcome.

Yes, GTG as Pavel states it, is 50% of the max.

You can not train for everything everyday, for schedule reasons, if you have a full time job for instance.

I would stick to exercices which have carryover, such as core, presses, running and pull ups. It can be possible to do circuits, to get a lot of work done in a minimal amount of time. For instance, 1 pull up, 2 push ups, 3 abs, 4 squat, during x amount of time.

Overtraining is when you :
- do not progress anymore
- get injured or feel an unusual pain
- get trouble to sleep

As long as you do not get that, you can build volume

Here is a great documentary

Most of the physical training is based on the endurance and the ability to repeat a drill (push ups, boat carry, etc...) until and through exhaustion.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

@Jaime Sanabria
You are welcome.

Yes, GTG as Pavel states it, is 50% of the max.

You can not train for everything everyday, for schedule reasons, if you have a full time job for instance.

I would stick to exercices which have carryover, such as core, presses, running and pull ups. It can be possible to do circuits, to get a lot of work done in a minimal amount of time. For instance, 1 pull up, 2 push ups, 3 abs, 4 squat, during x amount of time.

Overtraining is when you :
- do not progress anymore
- get injured or feel an unusual pain
- get trouble to sleep

As long as you do not get that, you can build volume

Here is a great documentary

Most of the physical training is based on the endurance and the ability to repeat a drill (push ups, boat carry, etc...) until and through exhaustion.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Gotcha, that helps with the overtraining note. I think I can stick to the GTG principle better if I limit the number of reps I do to 10 pushups and 5 pullups, because I seem to push myself too hard on the pushups and end up getting sweaty. Maybe I'll try 10 explosive (jumping) pushups and 5 pullups GTG style...

Pavel was asked how he trained a SEAL a several years ago, and his response was this:

"a lot of high rep snatched. Pullup ladders and GTG. Pushups (because the PT test required them). Running and swimming nearly daily with near max relaxation. Some sparring. Heaby abs: FCTs, Jandas, spider lifts. Full splits"

Based off of this, I think the most logical course of action is high rep snatches 2x/week with squats between sets, GTG style pushups and pullups 6x/week, heavy abs 2x/week, kb presses 2x/week and daily runs and swims. Trying to keep it simple...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom