all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Burn Extreme by Geoff Neupert

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I just finished KBE on sunday and wanted to share my experience/results with you.
Quick background to KBE:

-you train 6x/week of which 3 sessions are ballistics and 3 are grinds

-for ballistics you set the timer to 20 mins for grinds to 25 mins (I did 30 mins because I have an obsession with even numbers)

-for grinds you do double military presses (DMP) and double front squats (DFSQ)

-for ballistics: double cleans (DCL) and double swings (DSW)

-you vary your sets/reps for every session

-the program is 4 weeks long and it builds up over that time. Week 4 is a deload week in that sense that it has only 4 sessions

My results/experience:
I really enjoyed this program!
I thought I could lose a little bit of fat but I think I chose the wrong time of year. Too many christmas parties, christmas markets and the like.
Furthermore since this program was so intense it made me extremely hungry most of the time.
However, my main focus was to accumulate a lot of volume for the DMP and the program def delivered.
For the grinds I used 2x24kg and for the ballistics 2x28kg.
I followed the program as it is written. The only modification I made was to do the grind session for 30 mins because I do not like odd numbers.

The results were fantastic:

-DMP and DFSQ went up from 40 reps to 65 reps in 30mins (with 2x24kg)

-DCL and DSW went up from 60 reps to 100 reps in 20mins (with 2x28kg)

KBE is an excellent program that deliveres very fast and I can def recommend! Whether you want to use it for fat loss or hypertrophy you will probably like this routine. Sinply adjust your nutrition to your goals.
However, since this routine is so intense it will make you hungry and therefore is probably better suited for a clean bulk/hypertrophy without much fat gain (if any at all).
For fat loss I would rather prefere something less taxing which does not make me too hungry. Also it might be harder to recover from a routine like this when in a caloric deficit. But this is just my humble opinion.
Attached are 2 pics. The first one is before the program the second one after. Not too much change, maybe a bit of hypertrophy but no fat loss. Note that I ate pretty much! Far from being ripped but not too fat either and a lot stronger!
I will def return to this program in the future.

Attachments

• 20171026_195619.jpg
    20171026_195619.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20171221_001841.jpg
    20171221_001841.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 281
-for ballistics you set the timer to 20 mins for grinds to 25 mins (I did 30 mins because I have an obsession with even numbers)
Last time i checked 24 and 26 were even as well ;)

You look good in both pictures, you can enjoy your christmas dinner. Everybody has their own goals, but for me, you are at the point where becoming leaner is not very good, not even for looks

Great work. It's a great program, though it has the same effect on appetite. I wanted eat all the time.
Have a look at Mike Mahler's rounds program. Similar but different. Great for fat loss. EDT with double bells.

Hello,

@Marc
First off, good job ! You did a strong work !

You were already ripped hehe. Even if in your opinion, you did not get ripped even more, at least you did not gain weight (meaning fat) with all the meals and Christmas parties. I guess it proves that the program works for fat loss !

Regarding strength, when I see your reps before / after, sure you progressed a lot, and fast ! Did you try you 1RM with the press for instance ?

I currently run a high volume routine (GTG base, which is a "side routine"). I confirm. High volume makes hungry !

Related to rest, how was it ? Were you "sore" or tired sometimes" ? Is is some kind of "all out" from a session to the next one, or do you always have something in the tank to be fresh for the day (such as S&S for instance) ?

Again, good job !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great job @Marc !

@Steve Freides is there a possibillity to create a "review" section or thread where we can post our reviews of certain training programs? If one is doing for example this and has questions, @Marc could chime in on his experience of it and other can see it. And since its in its own section it wont "Litter" the rest of the forum. What do you think?

@Steve Freides is there a possibillity to create a "review" section or thread where we can post our reviews of certain training programs? If one is doing for example this and has questions, @Marc could chime in on his experience of it and other can see it. And since its in its own section it wont "Litter" the rest of the forum. What do you think?
I like that. It doesn't have to be a whole section, but maybe a sticky where all the reviews go into.

Thanks a lot everybody!
Well, I was a bit leaner in the past but I am stronget now and feel better. Best of all ZERO pain and good mobility. I am actually glad I am able to do all that overhead work and pressing because I diclocated my shoulder in may.

Hello,

@Marc
Could it be considered as a kind of "hybrid" between ROP and SS ?

It seems to prepare very well for any kind of program, even if this is a stand alone program. How do you "cycle" it ? (for instance, what do you plan to do next)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Marc
First off, good job ! You did a strong work !

You were already ripped hehe. Even if in your opinion, you did not get ripped even more, at least you did not gain weight (meaning fat) with all the meals and Christmas parties. I guess it proves that the program works for fat loss !

Regarding strength, when I see your reps before / after, sure you progressed a lot, and fast ! Did you try you 1RM with the press for instance ?

I currently run a high volume routine (GTG base, which is a "side routine"). I confirm. High volume makes hungry !

Related to rest, how was it ? Were you "sore" or tired sometimes" ? Is is some kind of "all out" from a session to the next one, or do you always have something in the tank to be fresh for the day (such as S&S for instance) ?

Again, good job !

Kind regards,

Pet'

This program is really powerful and it def prevented fat gain.
I would even say it makes for a better hypertrophy program because I would imagine it would be very hard not to eat a lot while on KBE.
For me, when I want to lose a little fat I rather follow a lower volume program with low reps and only little conditioning if any at all. That way I can better stick to lower calories. But that's just me!

Regarding your questions:

I did not try for a max press because I am still a bit afraid of heavy weights overhead although I feel zero shoulder pain but it is still a mental thing.
Furthermore after those 4 weeks I feel really toast in regards to presses and heavy ballistics.
I now focus on muscle ups on rings and kb front squats (fsq in the new year once I return to my appartment again, I am staying at my parent's over the holidays).

Regarding rest:
I think this program is very doable. Geoff gives some advice on how hard to go every week and the intensity accumulates. I was not sore very often and if so only minimaly. Also, I rarley did a set to failure and if so only on presses because these are my weakest. Also I had a pretty stressfull work/study schedule while on this program. Again, very doable, enjoyable and great fun to do!

I can only recommend this routine!

Hello,

@Marc
Could it be considered as a kind of "hybrid" between ROP and SS ?

It seems to prepare very well for any kind of program, even if this is a stand alone program. How do you "cycle" it ? (for instance, what do you plan to do next)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Your comparison is pretty acurate but I would say KBE is a rather short term program in that sense that you probably could not keep this intensity for more than 4 weeks. S&S and RoP are rather "long lived" (in fact I think S&S is one of the few programs that you could do for the rest of your life).

As for programming:
I am giving myself 3 months to achieve ring muscle ups (until easter). I am planning to do muscle up work 3x/week (upper body) and double front squats 2-3x/week (legs) following Geoff Neupert's STRONG template.

After that I don't know right now...but I will probably run another phase of KBE once I can use 28kg for DMP in order to "own"/"drive home" the 2x28 for presses.

@Marc , thanks for the helpful review. I'm actually on KettleBell Burn 2.0, which is quite a different program: 16 weeks of 3/weekly
I may do a review when I'm done, inspired by you.....

Did Kettlebell Burn Extreme about 4 years ago. It works. Lost 12 lbs in 4 weeks. If you do it right, it's not easy. You become obsessed as a matter of fact.

The purpose is to lose fat in 28 days.

Workouts are very doable, almost easy. They're over in 20-25 minutes.

Recovery methods, i.e cold showers are terrible. Really awful.

The diet is tough. Especially on the 2 no carb days and fast day. I hated the no carb days. Basically it was about 1200 calories a day on those days, 2000 on the carb days. I don't do 36 hour fasts anymore.

I would also say, you need to eat when he says to for optimal hormone performance. I find it tough to eat before working out, and two meals within 3 hours after working out. But you'll have long 17 hour fasts between your last meal and the next day's first meal.

I found it easier to lose fat by not drinking alcohol and limiting meat to one meal a day and using Geoff's More Kettlebell Muscle workouts.

Regarding nutrition I have to say that I did not follow the advice given in the book.
I have my own system if nutrition which involves fasting/undereating (only sone fruit) fir 16-20h/day.
I know that when I eat ~3000 kcal per day I lose fat while still having enough energy. I do not have scheduled cheat days but rather cheat days by opportunity. Also I never eat below 2800 kcal since life gets miserable for me then quickly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom