all posts post new thread

Kettlebell kettlebell cardio vs treadmill?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
achieve similar heartrate and oxygen levels with swings as you can with traditional stairmasters etc???

Today I kept my heart rate between 110 & 132 over a period of 36 minutes doing swings & getups using a light kb (16 kg). Using a heavier bell and/or less rest between sets will get your HR as high as you need. O2 ... I don't know.

Today I read an article , a test with 20 people or so ... It showed the KB test had slightly higher HR and same o2 but doing the test back to back seemed to me kinda compromised. Hoping to do some light weight swings to replace the traditional cardio . Not a fan of walking in place haha.

What means better shape?
Most of my life so far I have worked in roofing , I was extremely fit .Now the last 4 years I've been driving a semi and now when I exercise I seem to get winded pretty quickly. Just trying to get back the endurance so to speak. I bought s&s and pttp . the s&s I think I will find an instructor to help with get ups first. So the last two weeks I am following pttp .I can do the exercises just would like to have more wind while doing them . thanks buddy!

Do you have to choose? I do S&S 2-3 times/week and running 2-3 times/week. So far I think the S&S has helped me somewhat as I feel much stronger while running. This has lead to better posture and more economical running.

There is nothing better than a run in the woods. It does so much for you .. great scenery, fresh air, health benefits, better recovery, clear thoughts .. do I need to go on? :)

Most of my life so far I have worked in roofing , I was extremely fit .Now the last 4 years I've been driving a semi and now when I exercise I seem to get winded pretty quickly. Just trying to get back the endurance so to speak. I bought s&s and pttp . the s&s I think I will find an instructor to help with get ups first. So the last two weeks I am following pttp .I can do the exercises just would like to have more wind while doing them . thanks buddy!
S&S would work, swings, running you could vary things, but what get's you winded now that you feel you lack endurance? Play some sports also :) if its for health doing some basic cardio would be good, with some higher intensity from time to time - :)

Try to retain nose-only breathing as much as you can during the exercises *, and for sure as you recover between sets, exercises, and at the end of your session. Please report back on if you find this helpful.

* - if your technique dictates a grunt or similar, do what you need, just revert to nose-only breathing at all other times.

-S-

Your heart rate is a reflection of how much energy your body is expending, not the movement. You can maintain any heart rate with any movement by adjusting the intensity of the movement itself (how fast you're running, adding or decreasing incline, how much weight you're swinging, how fast you're swinging, etc), or the amount of time you spend resting between efforts/sets (10 sec sprints with as much rest as needed to return to the target heart rate, fartlek runs, time between sets of swings, etc).

Try to retain nose-only breathing as much as you can during the exercises *, and for sure as you recover between sets, exercises, and at the end of your session. Please report back on if you find this helpful.

* - if your technique dictates a grunt or similar, do what you need, just revert to nose-only breathing at all other times.

-S-
Immediate help in keeping wind Steve ! As always your insight is very helpful!! It makes me think about practicing Pavel's straw breathing exercises from s&s thanks again!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom