all posts post new thread

Barbell Kettlebell carryover to PTTP deadlift & press?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

freeflowme

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey all,

I'm going to be traveling for 3 weeks this summer, and I really want to stay consistent with my PTTP workouts. In some of the places we'll be, getting to a gym isn't going to be feasible. I'm considering lugging my barbell and bumper plates along with us, but my wife's not such a big fan of that idea ROFL. If push comes to shove, is it possible that I could experience some WTH! effects from doing kettlebell swings and either TGUs or presses while traveling? Or would I likely see my barbell lifts drop off a little bit and need to cycle back up due to lack of handling the same actual weight each day?

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd take a kettlebell and do 3-4 days a week of alternating days of S&S style goblet squats, swings, and get-ups, and a day of either "strength aerobics" (clean-press-snatch-squat x 1-2 EMOM x 20-30 minutes) or something like the Moving Target Complex (clean-press-squat, laddering the press 2-3-5 and then a squat series 2-3-5 and end with a clean series of 4-6-10 for a conditioning finisher). Don't worry about barbell training when you get back. Start back a day or two from where you ended, if the bar is flying up that first day back, increase the weight jump on day 2, and by day 3 you're back on track.

If it were me, I'd take a kettlebell and do 3-4 days a week of alternating days of S&S style goblet squats, swings, and get-ups, and a day of either "strength aerobics" (clean-press-snatch-squat x 1-2 EMOM x 20-30 minutes) or something like the Moving Target Complex (clean-press-squat, laddering the press 2-3-5 and then a squat series 2-3-5 and end with a clean series of 4-6-10 for a conditioning finisher). Don't worry about barbell training when you get back. Start back a day or two from where you ended, if the bar is flying up that first day back, increase the weight jump on day 2, and by day 3 you're back on track.

I'm admittedly a little behind in the kettlebell game. My last experience was years ago following the EtK Program Minimum & Rite of Passage, and I haven't had a chance to check out Simple & Sinister and the revised program(s) yet. Would it be a bad idea to do something PTTP-like with a kettlebell - i.e. 5 days/week of light-medium swings + presses, the same workout each day but up-cycling the volume a bit each day?

I'm admittedly a little behind in the kettlebell game. My last experience was years ago following the EtK Program Minimum & Rite of Passage, and I haven't had a chance to check out Simple & Sinister and the revised program(s) yet. Would it be a bad idea to do something PTTP-like with a kettlebell - i.e. 5 days/week of light-medium swings + presses, the same workout each day but up-cycling the volume a bit each day?
You could. That’s basically the PM. S&S “systematizes” the PM into 100 swings (10x10) and 10 getups (5 per side) after a warm-up of 3x5 goblet squats. You can start with 20 sets of 5 swings and 3 get-ups per side if you want. For training, rest intervals are by feel.

It’s a vacation - just get some good movement in. I bet if you didn’t do anything at all you’d actually not decline after you get back and might even do better (resting allows accumulated stress to dissipate, allowing a greater performance peak than if you are held back by accumulated stress).

Work on your one arm pushup and one leg squat aka pistol squat.

You won't lose any strength in 3 weeks alone. That's too short a time.

I stopped in our local Dick's Sporting Goods and got the feel for a few kettlebells before ordering a 24kg with a better powder coating on it today. Looking forward to a bit of kettlebell work whilst on the road - I think I've about run my current course with PTTP (after ~4.5 months of it, I'm not noticing the same progress that I was, in fact I think it's stalling). I'm contemplating doing something like the 40 Day Program but with kettlebells. I was thinking:

1) Posterior chain movement: Goblet Squats or One-Legged Kettlebell Deadlifts (goblet squats don't really hit the posterior chain the same way LBBSs do)

2) Upper body press: press ladders getting about the 10 recommended reps/day.

3) Upper body pull: one-arm kettlebell rows (unless I can find a pull-up bar handy at a local park)

4) Full-body explosive movement: swings

5) Anterior chain movement: Janda sit-ups

Thoughts on this plan appreciated (y)

Looks like a nice set of exercises. If you're pressed for time and want to get some upper-body pulling work in along with grip and explosiveness you can always swap your swings for KB high pulls/snatch pulls.

Also, can you do pistol squats (loaded or unloaded)? I'd substitute them for the goblet squats/KB deadlifts if possible. Maybe keep the goblet squats as part of your warm-up/mobility. Just a thought.

Looks like a nice set of exercises. If you're pressed for time and want to get some upper-body pulling work in along with grip and explosiveness you can always swap your swings for KB high pulls/snatch pulls.

Also, can you do pistol squats (loaded or unloaded)? I'd substitute them for the goblet squats/KB deadlifts if possible. Maybe keep the goblet squats as part of your warm-up/mobility. Just a thought.

I've never more than casually tried a pistol, but I can definitively say that I don't currently possess either the quad strength, the flexibility, or the knowledge (or all 3 in some combination) to get more than ~1/3 of the way down.

Interestingly, I've noticed that when I do lunges as part of a dynamic warm up, my quads feel extremely weak (keep in mind I've just been PTTP-ing deadlifts and presses for training thus far, with no type of squatting at all). So much so that it's sometimes hard for me to thrust myself back up to a standing position with one leg if I do stationary lunges where you step out and then back to the starting position. I don't know if that indicates that my leg strength is far too low to be able to pistol, but I'd guess it does.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom