all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell/ combining max effort days with dynamic effort days. LOU SIMMONS METHOD WESTSIDE

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This isn't exactly what I remember, but I think is similar or maybe references it. Olympic Lifts Don’t Optimize Explosive Power — JACKED ATHLETE

Jake Tuura Article

Very interesting, well written article. Thanks for finding it an posted it.

Tuura's article is definitely going in to my research archive's.

I agree with some of the information in the article.

With in said, ...

I Didn't Read The Whole Article

One of the thing I learned years ago, is that you have not read the whole article until you have read the reference, as well. It's a bit of pain in the butt. However, it is necessary.

I once spent an afternoon at the Fullerton Cal State Library finding article references on the importance of Depth Landing (not Depth Jumps) in the development of "Ballistic Eccentric Strength"; important for High Jumpers and Sprinters.

Two of the Depth Landing Training reference articles that I found provided crucial, in depth information that the original article did not go into.

With that said, some of the source that Tuura provides are research articles that I have read and have in my archives.

Many of his reverences are from the National Strength and Conditioning Research Journals. I am a member and can access them.

I just need some time to wade through them.

Let me provide some of my thought on what I can.

"Olympic lifts produce peak power at loads of 70-80%, not at 100% (such as those studied by Garhammer)."

Yes, the greatest Power Output in the Olympic Movements occurs in 70 - 80% of a 1 Repetition Max. I have provide that information in multiple post on this site.

Yes, Garhammer's research was based on the Power Outputs of a 1 Repetition Max in the Olympic Movements. The Power Outputs were some of the highest record in sports.

As we know, there is a sweet spot when it comes to Power Output. Decreasing the load of an Olympic Movement to 70 - 80% of 1 Repetition Max is the sweet spot for Power Output.

We know, dropping the Training Percentage down can dramatically increase Power Output.

Garhammer's research indicated dropping the Training Percentage down (Speed/Power Training) in the Powerlifts enabled lifter to dramatically increase Power Output.

My question is how much more Power Output is achieved, in watts, when an Olympic Movement Training Percentage is decreased to 70 - 80%? It is definitely going to be more.

"The power or hang versions of the lifts are more popular among athletes as they are easier to perform and produce more power. (Garhammer studied full cleans and snatches)."

Garhammer's research did measured the Power Output in the Second Pull, where Hang Pulls are performed.

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

As Tuura states, greater Power Output is produce in the Second Pull.

One of the reason is that the First Pull is more of a Deadlift. The movement is much slower coming off the floor. That in part due to the importance of correctly positioning the bar for the most important part, The Second Pull.

Another reason as to why so much more power is produced in the Second Pull (approximately 50% more in the Second Pull) is you are biomechanically in a much stronger position, able to generate more force.

The Hang Clean, a Tuura states, it much easier to perform. However, my perspective is that in many sports, athletes are usually in a "Hang Position" rather than a Deadlift Position. Thus, it is a more sports specific movement.

"Olympic Weightlifters have greater technical proficiency in the lifts than the typical athlete, meaning they produce more power."

Absolutely.

I am a huge advocate of Olympic Movements as a means of increasing Power. However, they require more technique; require more time to learn.

"As for training power directly, pick up a trap bar and jump with it."

Trap Bar Jumps are an Olympic Pull performed with a Trap Bar. Essentially, you are performing part of an Olympic Movement.

As I noted in post #6, ...

"Research has demonstrated that Trap Bar Power Jumps produce Power Output that is comparable to Olympic Movements. Source: Optimal Loading Range for the Development of Peak Power... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research . 29(6):1627-1632, June 2015."

"The Trap Bar Jumps is simple. compared to Olympic Movements. This allows coaches and lifters who lack the knowledge on Olympic Lifting Technique less of a learning curve; they can immediately begin Power Training."

"...Changing exercises and changing load can increase or decrease power."

Yes, I addressed this in Post #13; some movements fall into Limit Strength Training, while others are Power Training Movements.

I've posted the Power Training Percentages that are somewhat effective for Traditional Strength Movements (Squat, etc) and for Olympic Movements.

"In one study, the barbell squat jump produced 4,091 Watts and bodyweight vertical jumps produced 4,324 W. ...In that same study, the trap bar jump beat out both exercises with 4,606 Watts."

One of the take home points is a loaded movement, with the right Training Percentages, performed with the right "Power Movement/Exercise", produces and develops more Power Output.

Trap Bar Jumps demonstrated that.

If you don't have a Trap Bar, Dumbbell Jumps are essentially the same.

The Clean High Pull | T Nation

Hedrick is one of the best Strength Coaches in the game. The Olympic Clean High Pull is simpler is a simpler movement, requiring a shorter learning curve.

High Pull Clean Pull Demo

The Olympic High Pull Clean Pull demonstrated is very similar to the Trap Bar Jump.

It can also be performed from as a Hang High Pull. Part of my training program revolves around Dumbbell Hang High Pulls with a swing.

Essentially, like a Kettlebell Swing, only with Dumbbells held at your side from the hang position.

Vertical and Horizontal Jump Training

Let me add Trap Bar Jumps are more specific for vertical jumps in sports. There is some carryover to sports movement requiring horizontal jumps.

However, a much more effective movement for increase your horizontal jump is the Kettlebell Swing.

The Kettlebell Swing is a quazi-ballistic movement. A Ballistic Movement is defined as a body or objecting becoming airborne.

To fully develop power in the full range of a Kettlebell Swing, you need to drive the weight up with so much force that your feet come off the floor.

One of the main issue with many individual is at some point in the swing they stop pulling, allowing the Kettlebell to float to the top.

"This improves sprinting [24, 29] and jumping [29] performance. Do both vertical jumps and trap bar jumps to cover different velocities [9], sprint, sprint with weight, and throw heavy and light med balls."

Yes, to maximize Power, various loaded jump need to be part of your training program.

"As for my paradigm, I’m back where I started:
Sprints and jumps optimize explosive power."

Sprints and Jumps can improve Power Output. However, various other type of loaded Jumps need to be included in your training to for optimal training results.

Overview of Tuura's Article

This is a great article. I have some question that require me to do some homework.

I have some minor difference with some of the information.

Again, thanks for posting it.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom