all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Deadlift form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Haddad

First Post
I've been working through the online Strongfirst kettlebell course and I would be very grateful if I could get some feedback on my form in the deadlift.

@Paul Haddad Looks good. You might want to make a conscious effort to draw your shoulders back and stick your chest out more (think 'proud chest') and squeeze your glutes to drive your hips through a little further at the top of the lift.

You're keeping your shins vertical, your heels are staying put and your back is flat so those points are all good.

@Paul Haddad, a good first effort. I will offer a few pointers:

Lower yourself to the bell more slowly and with more control. If you watch your video at a slower speed, you'll see times when your hips aren't moving back but your back is getting closer to the ground. It's best to avoid this.

At the bottom, your back is close to parallel to the ground. Think about your hips moving backwards at a 45-degree angle. As your hips go back, you're making a deeper and deeper bend at your hips but you're trying to keep your back, from tailbone up, just as straight as it was when you were standing fully upright before starting your descent. Try using a stick - a broom handle will do - touching your sacrum (bottom of spine, just above butt cheeks), between your shoulder blades, and the back of your head. Hold it there as you lower - that's the feeling you're going for.

I don't think you have the hip and hamstring flexibility right now to get all the way down to the bell with the above-described form, and that's no bother - just raise the bell on something and focus on keeping the feeling of hinging at the hips while keeping the shins and knees as vertical as possible, and stop when you can't get any lower in good form.

At the top, your lockout could be more complete. Your hips need to be turned under a bit more, and your arms should be closer to vertical.

Again, a good start on your part, so now focus on perfect form and don't go deeper than you're able. A good sequence is to increase the weight at your best depth, then lighten up the weight with the bell slightly lower and work up the weight there, and so on.

You're doing a very good job of keeping your shins vertical - giving yourself a little bit of forward knee movement will help you do all the other things better.

-S-

Looks great. Now go pick up something heavy. ;)

Lower hips before lifting bell off the floor. Think pull feet through the floor not lift bell of the ground. This will create a wedge and keep the chest proud

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom