all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Farmer's Walks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

spawn

Level 2 Valued Member
I've started doing these recently, albeit very carefully - what are your thoughts?
I grab a pair of 32-kg kettlebells and walk up two floors. Rest and repeat two more times. Try it, but be VERY careful!

@spawn we teach farmer's carries to all beginners, and alternate it with crawling. Easy to learn, multiple benefits.

Hello,

This is a very good exercise which work balance, grip and core. In function of your carry time, it can also build good cardio. This is a very functional move.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I only have a 16, a 24, and will soon have a 32. Is it risky to do two-handed farmer's walks with different weights per hand? Assuming alternating hands throughout the routine?

I only have a 16, a 24, and will soon have a 32. Is it risky to do two-handed farmer's walks with different weights per hand? Assuming alternating hands throughout the routine?

It's fine.

A common farmer's walk variation is suitcase style (one KB held at the side like a suitcase, with nothing on the other side), which is a more extreme imbalance. When the weight is not symmetrical, you will feel it in your obliques (a good thing).

Here is a loaded carries Dan John got from Gray Cook;

CookED variation

Left hand waiter walk until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Left hand rack walk until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Left hand suitcase carry until nearing loss of integrity
10 swings
Repeat with the right hand

If you feel your arm start to wobble or your core starts to shift, then you’ve lost integrity. When that happens, bring the weight back to the rack position. Hold the kettlebell in the rack position and continue to walk until you feel yourself losing integrity again. At that point, release the weight to your side so you’re holding it like a suitcase. Once you can’t hold the kettlebell in that position, switch hands and start from the beginning.

Tried it once and loved it!

Is it risky - yes; is it a good thing to do - yes.

To add to what @Steve W. said, I would suggest to really focus on getting tight, before you pick up the weights and the whole time you're carrying them. The goal is to have your spine, pelvis, shoulders perfectly aligned, as if the weight were equal. If you can't maintain that, the imbalance is too much and you're going to be doing a bit of microdamage as you move and walk, which you might feel later; or worse, pull something which you'll know right away. You want to challenge your stability, but not compromise it.

It's fine.

A common farmer's walk variation is suitcase style (one KB held at the side like a suitcase, with nothing on the other side), which is a more extreme imbalance. When the weight is not symmetrical, you will feel it in your obliques (a good thing).

+1 on the suitcase carry, in part because I do not own doubles

I like the added stairs element in the original post. However the risk/benefit ratio may not work out for me. What is the downside if you trip on the stairs? Do you save the 'bells to prevent them from rolling down the stairs and possibly maiming someone or do you save your face and let one or more 'bell go?

Hello,

Differents weights in your right and your left hand are risky but it is usefull. Indeed, in the "real life", you will not have and equal weight in your hands.

Then it will work your core with intensity.

Kind regards,

Pet'

About @Stefan Olsson's suggestion - be mindful to change from overhead to rack and from rack to suitcase in plenty of time - better to do this a little too early than a little too late. Also good to do this outside or in a place where you can easily dump the kettlebell if you hang onto one position too long.

-S-

I almost always have my trainees use different weights in each hand, usually up to 4kg difference, for the reason pet' stated. When carrying loads outside of training you will likely not ensure that each hand is carrying the same amount.

About @Stefan Olsson's suggestion - be mindful to change from overhead to rack and from rack to suitcase in plenty of time - better to do this a little too early than a little too late. Also good to do this outside or in a place where you can easily dump the kettlebell if you hang onto one position too long.

-S-

I agree and can't stress the "until nearing loss of integrity", thats not about breaking records but let your body decide when near loss of integrity occurs.

Good point @Steve Freides

Generally, any carry that is loaded in such a way that you can still stand up straight is safe, and I'm a big fan of loaded carries in general. I don't have any double bells, but I have singles up to 40K, and do a lot of asymmetrical farmers, rack, and over head carries. As far as the stairs go, just be cautious going down them. I would probably take the elevator down if I was in a building that had one.

@Sean M Assymetrical farmers carries are my favorite. Once farmers carries with the 16kg and 24kg become easy try different hold positions like racked and overhead carries. Then try 16 overhead+ 24 hang, 16 overhead +24 rack, and 16 rack+24 hang, or any combination you can think of.

@spawn Carries up and down stairs are good for a change. Sometimes, when my wife is not at home, I do farmers carries up, and down stairs, and around my basement as one lap. I have three flights of five stairs from the main floor to the basement. I do it when she is not at home because she thinks I am crazy, and I am going to damage something.

I've been wondering about a few minutes of overhead carries after some of my S&S sessions to strengthen the TGU lockout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom