Kettlebell Flows

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by conor78, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:32 PM.

1. conor78

conor78 Strong Member of the Forum

Kettlebell Flows: Yay or Nay??
    Never tried them but using IG more lately a d they ate very prominent...

2. NoahMarek

NoahMarek Helping Make Others Stronger

If you are more goal oriented, it is probably not best since it isn’t likely to yield substantial measurable progress. If you enjoy doing them because they are fun and work your body in different ways, then do them and enjoy!

Arryn Grogan, Baker and conor78 like this.
  3. Snowman

Snowman Strong Member of the Forum

They look like a good way to touch on a lot of movements and have fun. But neither of those is a primary reason I train, so I do not do them...

Probably not a bad way to warm up or cool down, assuming you use a light enough weight to maintain good movement quality.

conor78 likes this.
  4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Director of Community Engagement and Forum Admin Staff Member Senior Instructor

What is a Kettlebell Flow?

-S-

Baker and Shawn90 like this.
  5. Tjerr

Tjerr Double-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

From our friend Geoff Neupert:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 1:11 AM
    Shawn90 and Glen like this.
  6. Oscar

Oscar Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

So the clean and press and the long cycle are actually kettlebell flows/chains, right? Everybody here loves the ROP.

Flows sounds like a lot of fun.

7. ali

ali Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

I think of flow as defined by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, a state of full immersion and being in the zone.
    Is that what it means in this sense?

Shahaf Levin likes this.
  8. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

These two have a fair number of them on YT, good stuff for GPP but not anything I'd want to do as a steady diet:

Anna C likes this.
  9. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Double-Digit Post Count

I follow this person on Instagram, but no longer do his stuff anymore since starting a modified S&S and having great results. His flows were a totally different concept than the complex I feel a complex and flow are different. I like his complex theory much better and seems like good idea for off days using a lighter weight.

10. Joeyboy

Just to clarify, the person I follow on Instagram was not the same as in the reply. I did not want to mention him.

11. conor78

Same here I follow a few guys on IG who post vidoes of flow workouts. They were tough as I had to keep shifting my footwork to keep balance. Even with a 24kg it was very challenging. They take in a lot of unilateral work which I found useful. My only problem was the randomness of the workouts, very hard to judge if you are making any progress as the workouts constantly change.

Joeyboy likes this.
  12. kenaces

kenaces Double-Digit Post Count

Do I have to buy camo-clothing and listen to new age music to do this workout?

Shawn90 and Antti like this.
  13. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Director of Community Engagement and Forum Admin Staff Member Senior Instructor

Yes.

-S-

Antti and Joeyboy like this.
  14. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

Nah, after a hundred or so hours of doing flows you naturally gravitate to a certain lifestyle...:D

Joking aside, coach Tara is in seriously good condition based a lot of her bodyweight stuff.

15. Joeyboy

I agree. I need more structure and was not getting it. I will say it did help with my strength, the unilateral work, but I was first starting so I had to go somewhere. I quickly realized I was no longer making headway and found this forum.

conor78 likes this.
  16. Bauer

Bauer Triple-Digit Post Count

Well, people like to do animal flow, yoga flows and other movement flows. It sure feels nice. I could imagine doing flows with a single light KB for a warmup, for fun or for cardio. I think the best would be to go freestyle and just improvise.

I can't find the source, but a russian boxer was supposed to train his stamina by using a 16 or 24 kg KB and not putting it down for like an hour. You just need to vary the movement and get some strength endurance benefits. A bit like working in the garden non stop.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 2:39 AM
  17. Oscar

Oscar Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum

18. Stefan Olsson

Stefan Olsson Helping Make Others Stronger

For f*#@ sake Steve! 2018 much? :D

19. Baker

Baker Triple-Digit Post Count

With any workout you have to ask - is it about getting stronger or about getting tired.

A lot of what i see on Instagram seems to be more "showing off" than a viable training protocol.

Joeyboy, kofdog, Shahaf Levin and 4 others like this.
  20. conor78