all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Flows

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't disagree with any of the negative sentiment. I agree it's not the best stuff for instruction or training.

But on the positive side...

I like seeing the show-off-y stuff on social media because it's inspiring and interesting. I think of these more as "performance" than "training."

And I love the kettlebell flows such as the video linked above -- it's creative and beautiful, like a dance. Do dancers "train"? Probably not in the sense that we're used to, but they certainly practice, and we can relate to that. Flows, chains, and complexes really focus the mind and body. So I would think of these more of "practice" than "training." And maybe more toward performance there as well, like with this synchronized routine, like synchonized swimming. Neat stuff.

To add to @Anna C comment above, is possible to build a flow that is challenging in a number of ways, placing different movements to give other parts a break.

I've never trained enough with them to say how far this can be taken beyond conditioning, but in reality is just a longish circuit. I could probably come up with something I liked, but it would have to be a lot shorter than many of the ones on YT, and use a heavier bell.

Anna C : could you define "practice" and "training"?

I suppose both words are very context-sensitive, so this definition is specifically how I'm using them in the above post:
  • Training - Physical activity that is programmed to progressively increase some physical capacity (strength, endurance, etc.)
  • Practice - Physical activity that is designed to increase skill and proficiency at some specific task or ability
I think kettlebell work has both, and that's why I was drawn to it, and still love it!

Do dancers "train"?

Anna,
Given your definitions above, I would say dancers train and practice as well, especially the top dancers. They follow a well defined strength and endurance program, in order to be able to compete at the top level. Without an adequate aerobic base, there is no way you can make five dances (in the case of Ballroom dancing) look like a strole in the park :)
They also practice the movements as such, in order to perfect them and make them look beautiful on the dancefloor. Many hours a day.

Ah, good points @Jan, I suppose they would, as it certianly requires a lot of physical ability! So dancers do train, outside of dancing. But when they are "practicing" (dancing), are they "training" (increasing physical capacity)? I suppose they are, but I see is as mainly practicing skill, while using the phyical capacity they have built through training, and years of consistency.

With regard to the kettlebell flows, it seems similar to that -- practice, while using phyical capacity, not so much training to increase it. So the practice of the flows, just as the practice of dance, isn't as direct a route to increase physical capacity as targeted training would be, but in both cases there is some training effect from the practice.

Good discusion.... Sometimes we (speaking for myself, anyway) get too caught up in training, and forget to explore the wonderful ways the developed capacity can be expressed. Practice can be a great thing for mind, body, and spirit.

Wow, fascinating article! Thanks @ali

You're welcome. I love watching top level dancers, movement and strength with elegance and smiles but can only dad dance under the influence.
I don't follow dancing related stuff usually but came across that article in an actual newspaper and remembered it.
And just the other day on the radio an interview with the choreographer from mamma Mia. He compared the dancers doing live shows to Olympic level athletes.
All sorts of interesting stuff on the wireless and newspapers!

I call a kettlebell flow a combination of chain and complexes using the same bell or bells normally done hanging without sitting the bell down. :) That is how I commonly see it used also.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom