all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kitsu

Level 3 Valued Member
Anyone have this ebook? I've been getting email blasts from Geoff about Cuban training in KB Hard! It appears to be a book of complexes, and maybe be the new volume 3 of the KB Muscle series or maybe just a rebranding of More KB Muscle? I've seen some familiar names of complexes in the notes, such as The Wolf and The Olympic 3.0. I have The Giant and Strong! and like Geoffs programs, just wondering if this is something new or just targeted marketing.

I've gotten similar email blasts as well. From what I read it appears to be the updated and rebranded version of More KB Muscle. Someone who has already purchased it may be able to say better, though. I'd kind of like to get it, but from what I can tell the MKM complexes seem pretty intense. I've only got double bells in 24kg. That's a 10RM for me in the Clean & Press. There's no way I'd be able to complete The Wolf with double 24s. I don't particularly want to buy a set of programs that I can't really do without buying another set of double bells.

Does anyone know if The Wolf is on the harder end of the spectrum, and there are other complexes that could be run with my limited strength/equipment?

I've gotten similar email blasts as well. From what I read it appears to be the updated and rebranded version of More KB Muscle. Someone who has already purchased it may be able to say better, though. I'd kind of like to get it, but from what I can tell the MKM complexes seem pretty intense. I've only got double bells in 24kg. That's a 10RM for me in the Clean & Press. There's no way I'd be able to complete The Wolf with double 24s. I don't particularly want to buy a set of programs that I can't really do without buying another set of double bells.

Does anyone know if The Wolf is on the harder end of the spectrum, and there are other complexes that could be run with my limited strength/equipment?
Yeah that is what it appears to be to me as well. I thought about giving it a try in-between rounds of The Giant. I was in the same boat as you, only having 16s and 24s. I tried to do The Wolf once, 16s were way too light, but 24s were too heavy to do day 3 without setting the kbs down. I have a pair of 20s now, I think this will be the optimal pair for me with most complexes.

You can always follow the work to rest periods as written, pause in the rack between reps for presses and squats. Those usually make things more challenging if a bell or pair of bells seems too light :)

I'm pretty enthused about "Kettlebell Hard" for sure. I especially like the addition of autoregulation to Geoff's complexes. I haven't done them in quite a while and as such I'd consider doing a few with some autoregulation....maybe even the original Kettlebell Muscle with autoregulation...good stuff.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to read over all the emails yet, so does this follow the Giant or comes before? Who is it aimed at? One bell or just two?

Anyone have this ebook? I've been getting email blasts from Geoff about Cuban training in KB Hard! It appears to be a book of complexes, and maybe be the new volume 3 of the KB Muscle series or maybe just a rebranding of More KB Muscle? I've seen some familiar names of complexes in the notes, such as The Wolf and The Olympic 3.0. I have The Giant and Strong! and like Geoffs programs, just wondering if this is something new or just targeted marketing.
Kitsu sounds very interesting! Can you please provide a link?
Also you can tag Geoff so that he can answer your question directly.

Sorry but how is this different from More KB muscle? I don't understand. I think the names of the programs are exactly the same... Do you guys have any idea? (I am interested in buying it because Geoff always offers top programs)

Sorry but how is this different from More KB muscle? I don't understand. I think the names of the programs are exactly the same... Do you guys have any idea? (I am interested in buying it because Geoff always offers top programs)
I went ahead and bought the program. In the intro he states that HARD! is an updated and revised version of More KB Muscle. I don't have the original version of MKM, so I am pleased. I had listened to an interview of Geoff on a podcast, and they wore joking around about coming out with a "Most KB Muscle". I was looking forward to that. Anyways, all of the complexes now have a weight selection and 3 levels of difficulty: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. When comparing The Wolf in HARD! vs free version from MKM, MKM's version is the advanced difficulty in the HARD! version. Overall I am happy with my purchase since I didn't have the original MKM. It also reminds me a lot of the writings in Wendler's 5/3/1 Forever, in which I am a huge fan of.

I went ahead and bought the program. In the intro he states that HARD! is an updated and revised version of More KB Muscle. I don't have the original version of MKM, so I am pleased. I had listened to an interview of Geoff on a podcast, and they wore joking around about coming out with a "Most KB Muscle". I was looking forward to that. Anyways, all of the complexes now have a weight selection and 3 levels of difficulty: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. When comparing The Wolf in HARD! vs free version from MKM, MKM's version is the advanced difficulty in the HARD! version. Overall I am happy with my purchase since I didn't have the original MKM. It also reminds me a lot of the writings in Wendler's 5/3/1 Forever, in which I am a huge fan of.
Really detailed analysis! Thanks ??

One of the times I got to talk to Geoff offline, based on what he indirectly told me is simply adding a few details to his old programs definitely make them more suitable for even more people.. just shows how his material is top notch

I'm pretty enthused about "Kettlebell Hard" for sure. I especially like the addition of autoregulation to Geoff's complexes. I haven't done them in quite a while and as such I'd consider doing a few with some autoregulation....maybe even the original Kettlebell Muscle without autoregulation...good stuff.
I really look forward to applying barbell work with Bolt On principles to my training, once I get my power rack. Some of my best training back in my CrossFit days was doing 5/3/1 power lifts and doing simple 10-15 min couplets and triplets. Should be fun!

I've run or tried to run all these workouts over the past 7 years using 45 lb. bells (shade over 20 kg) The only one I had to bail out on was the A+P. Can't finish the ballistic heavy day due to grip issues. Far and away the hardest complex in the book, and I'm not purchasing a another 16/35. I don't think I could finish Clean 'Em Up anymore. 14 presses for 5 rounds on heavy day isn't going to happen.

From my experience, some of these you can run simultaneously 6 days a week. For example, you could run Shoulder Smoker on MWF, and Oh Row You Don't, TTS. Sunday off. The timed ones: Basic, Long Haul, Oh Row 2.0 you're going to need the off days. If you run two simultaneously, and can handle it, run one program as a complex, the other as a chain. Don't run the timed programs as a chain.

Get used to being comfortable holding bells in the rack, because these can get really fatiguing, especially on the rear delts and the presses are at the end of the set.

From my notes:
Unfinishable: A + P (Yellow Bell Blues)
Nasty: The Long Haul, Up and Over (day 3), The Wolf (run it as a chain) Clean 'em Up,

Challenging : Shoulder Smoker, Basic, Clean 'Em up 2.0, Lucky 13 heavy day (med and easy are good), Oh Row 2.0 (long sets), Ballistic Beatdown, Herky Jerky as a chain, Jerk Work (short rest periods due to ladders)

Good place to start: The Olympic, Oh Row You Don't (can run heavier weight on easy and medium), You Don't Know Squat (do this before the Wolf to get your legs ready. The Universe (do before Ballistic Beatdown)

Sir Snatch a lot is okay, just make sure you're good with double snatches. Upper Back Attack, I'm not a fan of double high pulls at all, but a decent program.

More Core is a throwaway for me.

My two favorite are the last two with the jerks. They look innocent but really pack a punch. Herky Jerky and Jerk Work.

I've run or tried to run all these workouts over the past 7 years using 45 lb. bells (shade over 20 kg) The only one I had to bail out on was the A+P. Can't finish the ballistic heavy day due to grip issues. Far and away the hardest complex in the book, and I'm not purchasing a another 16/35. I don't think I could finish Clean 'Em Up anymore. 14 presses for 5 rounds on heavy day isn't going to happen.

From my experience, some of these you can run simultaneously 6 days a week. For example, you could run Shoulder Smoker on MWF, and Oh Row You Don't, TTS. Sunday off. The timed ones: Basic, Long Haul, Oh Row 2.0 you're going to need the off days. If you run two simultaneously, and can handle it, run one program as a complex, the other as a chain. Don't run the timed programs as a chain.

Get used to being comfortable holding bells in the rack, because these can get really fatiguing, especially on the rear delts and the presses are at the end of the set.

From my notes:
Unfinishable: A + P (Yellow Bell Blues)
Nasty: The Long Haul, Up and Over (day 3), The Wolf (run it as a chain) Clean 'em Up,

Challenging : Shoulder Smoker, Basic, Clean 'Em up 2.0, Lucky 13 heavy day (med and easy are good), Oh Row 2.0 (long sets), Ballistic Beatdown, Herky Jerky as a chain, Jerk Work (short rest periods due to ladders)

Good place to start: The Olympic, Oh Row You Don't (can run heavier weight on easy and medium), You Don't Know Squat (do this before the Wolf to get your legs ready. The Universe (do before Ballistic Beatdown)

Sir Snatch a lot is okay, just make sure you're good with double snatches. Upper Back Attack, I'm not a fan of double high pulls at all, but a decent program.

More Core is a throwaway for me.

My two favorite are the last two with the jerks. They look innocent but really pack a punch. Herky Jerky and Jerk Work.
Would it be too much to ask if you also list the ones done as a chain in the same fashion?

Toying around with up an over and thinking of how ydks2.0 feels as a chain

Would it be too much to ask if you also list the ones done as a chain in the same fashion?

Toying around with up an over and thinking of how ydks2.0 feels as a chain
YDKS 2.0 will be the perfect introduction to chains, as it's only 3x around the sequence. A GREAT place to start.

The list contains both complexes and chains.
One's I ran as complexes were the timed sets. Basic, The Long Haul, Oh Row You Don't 2.0. A+ P (God I hate that one). I'm running Ballistic Beatdown as a complex.
If they have a rep count, 5, 6, 7, they can be run as a chain.
I ran Lucky 13, Wolf, The non-ladder Jerk workout, Olympic as chains.
Chains are just as painful but in a different way.

For example, you bang out 5 snatches, 5 presses, 5 cleans 5 squats. You fatigue the muscle sooner it's hard, but then it's over.
For chains, the first 2 or 3 times round the sequence, the reps feel crisper, but then because you're spreading the fatigue across the entire body as you get to the 4th and 5th time through.

Chains are really good when you have the 6 rep programs. Pressing or jerking doubles 6 times after holding them in the rack doing squats before hand is hard. You're already huffing and puffing and those bells are helping restrict the breathing. It's really uncomfortable and the last couple presses are a grind. There's a difference between pushing your limits and going to failure.

Instead of squatting and pressing and basically not being able to lower the bells for 12 reps, you get to release every time you start the sequence. The stress of thinking of going to failure end, all you need is one rep, not 6. You still will be exhausted.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom