all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What is the oppionion of the people here for rest days during Kettlebell HARD ? Do you do anything, do you combine 2 programs on different days, or just the regular 3 days per week with nothing in between?

Well, I am doing Clean Em Up, and it's kicking my butt due to high reps.
Mr. Neupert has always been REALLY clear you should rest on rest days. REST. Walk, stretch, light yoga, Original Strength work, etc.
I heartily agree, I find his programs rewarding but challenging , and don't really want to do much else. IMO, that's one of their main benfits: Work hard, rest adequately.

So I just finished my first Hard! program, The Shoulder Smoker. Coming from running the Giant almost exclusively for 7-8 months, I must say that it was a very humbling. I had just finished running 1.0 with 32s, and tested for a 12 RM press with 24s before starting the program.

I started the first 2 weeks with the 24s with the beginner rest periods, but I could not finish day 1 and day 3 complexed without setting the bells down for a few before the snatches. So week 3, I decided to drop down to 20s and completed the remainder the program with the advanced rest periods. Going from 1:2 down to a 1:1.5 was definitely a lot harder, but achievable. After week 6 day 3, I felt like I had just finished a benchmark Crossfit workout. I was smoked! To anyone who can complete this program with the prescribed 12RM press weights and advance rests, kudos to you!

Anyways, I’m looking forward to starting my next program from Hard! tomorrow. I was hoping to some recommendations. I’m currently debating between: The Olympic 2.0, The Wolf, and Clean ‘Em Up.
I’ve done the wolf and clean em up. They’re both awesome! The wolf only has snatches on the hard day and they’re the first exercise so if you struggle with the snatches that one might be better and you might be able to use your 24’s

What is the oppionion of the people here for rest days during Kettlebell HARD ? Do you do anything, do you combine 2 programs on different days, or just the regular 3 days per week with nothing in between?
I’ve been doing the bolt on barbell workout for one lift before my kettlebell hard workout 2 days a week. I do the hard day by itself and add the 3rd lift( my deadlift ) by itself on a 4th day. Other than that i might go hiking on the weekend or nothing. I’ve actually been getting really good results!

Yeah that’s why I was considering the Wolf, to work to lower body. But it is a lot of squats, so that’s why I was thinking the Olympic 2.0 to wean myself into more squats. Cleans are just fun too. We’ll see, I’ll be making my division in about 2 hours when I get home. Lol
If you like cleans medium day of the wolf has 2 sets of cleans, its good(oh yah) try it with your 24’s

When I did the WOLF, I couldnt do anything else on HARD day. I made sure I rested adequately the day before .. so a day before HARD day I definitely did light stretching, yoga, walk, etc. But on the other days I did do some additional technique work post the KB Hard sessions, and some times Q&D swing/snatch work, KB Carries, etc.

Today was really a humbling experience. Started The Olympic 3.0... Did first set with 2x24kg, barely finished last push press, switched to 2x16kg for the last 3 sets, cause those are the only lighter bells i have. I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out, i was optimistic that i can do the program with 2x24kg cause before this i did DFW and Giant 1.0 with those bells, but damn, this just hits different.

I'm currently on week 3 on shoulder smoker. Only with the double 16.. 5 sets now is damn tough. I can barely make it. Next week will be back to 3 sets again. Can't wait been adding 3 sets of floor presses. Ab wheel and chins after a long rest. IMHO the title is right its Hard!
On rest days I have only done a few rounds on the sand bag. For me being 42 of age. I don't think I could do more than the 1 program
Anyone gotten any noticible muscle gains? I'm definitely stronger and feel great. Only my gf thinks my belly is getting too big. Not fat just power belly.... Maybe I should cut down on the wheel
Hugs and kisses
Morty

I'm currently on week 3 on shoulder smoker. Only with the double 16.. 5 sets now is damn tough. I can barely make it. Next week will be back to 3 sets again. Can't wait been adding 3 sets of floor presses. Ab wheel and chins after a long rest. IMHO the title is right its Hard!
On rest days I have only done a few rounds on the sand bag. For me being 42 of age. I don't think I could do more than the 1 program
Anyone gotten any noticible muscle gains? I'm definitely stronger and feel great. Only my gf thinks my belly is getting too big. Not fat just power belly.... Maybe I should cut down on the wheel
Hugs and kisses
Morty
To be honest, after having gone through a couple of Geoff's programs, I did not notice any major changes in the numbers but i can definitely tell that my biceps are bigger and my shirts feel snug. Of course if I also fixed my diet it would all work out but I am not in a hurry to achieve everything at once. Now that I have the workouts going, I will slowly start looking at my diet and tweaking it. Diet plays a big part for use, especially for body composition changes. I felt putting on muscle was easier for me.

I'm in the last 2 weeks of Swing Hard so I was looking at what other programs I can pick up next. While skimming through Kettlebell Hard once again, I realized that I am limited by what I can do with double 24s primarily due to the double snatches in the complexes. So I was wondering if I can do one of the following and still benefit from how the program is written

1. Only for the Snatch, pick up double 20s and then pick up double 24s for the rest of it (the disadvantage I see here is that my grip would get a break, which probably is not how Geoff programmed it)

2. Replace snatches with Double High Pulls, which I can manage with double 24s (my Press 10RM).

3. Lose the ego but use double 20s and cut down the rest periods; lose even more ego and pick up double 16s and do the advanced work:rest ratio

Currently I am thinking of Option 2 or Option 3. In fact I am wondering how things will play out if I reduce the weight to double 16s and cut down my rest by quite a bit.

This was a question that was on my mind for quite some time and wanted to test with folks here. Maybe @Geoff Neupert can weigh in here.

@Mark Limbaga - any thoughts?

I'm in the last 2 weeks of Swing Hard so I was looking at what other programs I can pick up next. While skimming through Kettlebell Hard once again, I realized that I am limited by what I can do with double 24s primarily due to the double snatches in the complexes. So I was wondering if I can do one of the following and still benefit from how the program is written

1. Only for the Snatch, pick up double 20s and then pick up double 24s for the rest of it (the disadvantage I see here is that my grip would get a break, which probably is not how Geoff programmed it)

2. Replace snatches with Double High Pulls, which I can manage with double 24s (my Press 10RM).

3. Lose the ego but use double 20s and cut down the rest periods; lose even more ego and pick up double 16s and do the advanced work:rest ratio

Currently I am thinking of Option 2 or Option 3. In fact I am wondering how things will play out if I reduce the weight to double 16s and cut down my rest by quite a bit.

This was a question that was on my mind for quite some time and wanted to test with folks here. Maybe @Geoff Neupert can weigh in here.

We are in the same boat in regard to the double snatch. However, I find that high pulls are the true grip killer, you can do a lot more them if you're doing timed sets. I HATE them

Run the 20's and do 1:1 rest periods. Or, do double snatches outside the legs with a narrow stance.

I'd go with Option #3.

Since your mid to long term goal is to pass the snatch test.. finish off your current strong plan then option 4.. none of the above aka a different approach :)

Hey Y'all,
I'm doing The Wolf from KB Hard and using 2x20kgs and ~1:3 work:rest ratio. A set usually runs me somewhere between 45-60 seconds. It's been great so far and I look forward to continuing it. I was just curious where this program, with that weight and work:rest ratio, lies on the glycoltic <---> A-A spectrum. Is this a glycoltic power repeat, an A-A protocol, or more a hypertrophy program? Thanks for any clarification y'all can provide.

Hey, i don't have an answer to the above, though i just found the link contained in this thead to purchase hard! and was pleased to accept the upsell to add on Strong! for half price. Just under 100 for the both plus all the add ons and technique videos. Was planning to get strong anyway at full price, so definitely pleased and have some reading to decide where to go in 3 months after rop. The deal is stll alive for anyone looking.

Hey Y'all,
I'm doing The Wolf from KB Hard and using 2x20kgs and ~1:3 work:rest ratio. A set usually runs me somewhere between 45-60 seconds. It's been great so far and I look forward to continuing it. I was just curious where this program, with that weight and work:rest ratio, lies on the glycoltic <---> A-A spectrum. Is this a glycoltic power repeat, an A-A protocol, or more a hypertrophy program? Thanks for any clarification y'all can provide.
Definitely glycolytic.

I'd consider it close to a glycolytic power repeat, but not a full one, because these complexes mix power & strength work. Definitely hypertrophy work.

Hope that helps.

Definitely glycolytic.

I'd consider it close to a glycolytic power repeat, but not a full one, because these complexes mix power & strength work. Definitely hypertrophy work.

Hope that helps.
Right on! Thanks so much your reply, Mr. Neupert. Your program--as per usual--is going great.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom