all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It sounds like I need a lot more Doubles work before I can start Kettlebell HARD!

Am I correct with that assumption?

If so, should I do STRONG before HARD, or do some GIANT with doubles or what?

Any guidance and insight is greatly appreciated!
Comrades Reardon55, Singlecoilquack, BrianCF, and Mark Limbaga:

Many thanks for the advice.
I like the Total Tension Complex and the Dry Fighting Weight programs. Got a second 16 kg on the way.

Think I'll run these two, and buy Kettlebell Express Ultra Reloaded to run afterward. Maybe Kettlebell HARD in 8 months from now.

One shiny object at a time...

Really like the programs in this book. The Wolf still seems to be the goto program, the one that challenges and pushes your strength. Perhaps it is a testament to the program's quality that with an entire book of good programs it still looks the toughest.

Looking to run The Wolf later in the year. Not sure how I will go with the volume in later weeks. In a way, You Don't Know Squat seems like the primer or light version of The Wolf. If you were not sure you could handle The Wolf, would YDKS be a good alternative to help get you in shape for The Wolf?

Really like the programs in this book. The Wolf still seems to be the goto program, the one that challenges and pushes your strength. Perhaps it is a testament to the program's quality that with an entire book of good programs it still looks the toughest.

Looking to run The Wolf later in the year. Not sure how I will go with the volume in later weeks. In a way, You Don't Know Squat seems like the primer or light version of The Wolf. If you were not sure you could handle The Wolf, would YDKS be a good alternative to help get you in shape for The Wolf?
Doesn't look like primer or light to me..... You're supposed to use a heavier weight and with more sets; particularly more sets of squats.

The Olympic looks like a less hard version of The Wolf to me.

The wolf and ydks2.0 are definitely challenging

Don't underestimate oh row you don't, shoulder smoker, up and over and upper back attack

All these plans are challenging in their unique ways

I also bought the program, though it is faaaar away at the moment, but the compilation seemed too good to miss out as a goal for the far future.

What somehow irritated me a little on the first view were the double snatches in almost every program. Seem to raise the entry level quite a lot or does it feel different once you reach the level to actually do the stuff?

What somehow irritated me a little on the first view were the double snatches in almost every program. Seem to raise the entry level quite a lot or does it feel different once you reach the level to actually do the stuff?

Double snatches aren't THAT hard. If you can do singles without bruising your forearms, you can do doubles (actually, even if you can't....., just be prepared for TWO bruised forearms). They're pretty effective as they really challenge your power production in a way that, for me, singles (where my grip tends to be the limiter, especially in my weaker hand) really don't (I know, get a stronger grip....).

I also bought the program, though it is faaaar away at the moment, but the compilation seemed too good to miss out as a goal for the far future.

2 suggestions
Learn the high pull
If that still doesn't help you learn the double snatch, I'd recommend working with an SFG2 instructor even for just one session to learn the nuances of the movement

Hardest program in the book is easily the A + P. I have done every program with 20's and finished them all except this. I quit in the 3rd week. There is a lot of suck in a good way with a lot of these programs. Clean 'Em Up 1.0 on heavy day is extremely difficult as well. 5 rounds of presses with 14 reps a round. I did finish it years ago, but at that time my 5 RM for the press was double 32's.

The two jerk programs at the end are AWESOME.

Hardest program in the book is easily the A + P. I have done every program with 20's and finished them all except this. I quit in the 3rd week. There is a lot of suck in a good way with a lot of these programs. Clean 'Em Up 1.0 on heavy day is extremely difficult as well. 5 rounds of presses with 14 reps a round. I did finish it years ago, but at that time my 5 RM for the press was double 32's.

The two jerk programs at the end are AWESOME.

Liking that I can play with these complexes and chains for variety work and not have to step on the gas pedal.. let's see how I progress over the next few months

The Double Snatches are great. They can be intimidating however they are definitely worth it in my opinion. The majority of my snatching history is single bell but the technique does translate. I think for the majority of people, myself included, the snatch will be what dictates your bell choice. If double snatches weren't in there I would be doing the program with 20's. However double snatches require I do it with 16's or risk sloppy technique and the issues that could come with it. And you know what? Day 1 was still challenging without the snatches. These are a different animal than traditional style lifting programs.

I did day 2 of the Olympic 3.0 yesterday and the last 2 rounds of snatches felt great. Double snatches will immediately remind you that it is a complete body lift. Your technique will improve with each set. I suggest warming up using bells at least half the size you are working with in the complex or even just to work on double snatch technique. As an example yesterday I did my standard movement and OS resets for a warm up. Then using bells half the weight I did 2 chains of the workouts movements followed by 2 complexes of 2 reps. This got the blood flowing in the exact muscles being used but more importantly got my technique ready.

Last edited:
Just to confirm, is "Oh row you don't" a kettlebell row program? Or does it involve other lifts?

Just to confirm, is "Oh row you don't" a kettlebell row program? Or does it involve other lifts?
There are two. The original is a row program with other lifts. The second, 2.0 is a more advanced program with the renegade row speckled in and the sets are timed. Much harder, as the sets run up to 2 minutes.

There are two. The original is a row program with other lifts. The second, 2.0 is a more advanced program with the renegade row speckled in and the sets are timed. Much harder, as the sets run up to 2 minutes.
Thank you! I'm interested in adding rows to my programming but I've never seen them programmed before.

I'd recommend touching up for on doubles work (strong or giant perhaps) prior to jumping into chains and complexes
Extremely great advice in my humble opinion. I remember looking at the complex of day 1 saying it's too easy, too light a weight (I was using 20s my first time through)...until I did Geoff's chosen exercises!!! I thought 5 presses with 20s were going to be simple for me but after some high pulls and snatches I was humbled!! Felt like the old nautilus pre exhaust method ( Sorry, I am a product of the 80s).

Mark's certainly right, make sure your skills such as double snatches and high pulls are up to par before you tackle Geoff's complexes!

Hey guys.

New here and new to Kettlebells.

I have 2 silly questions that I'm hoping to get answers on.

@Geoff Neupert (if you'd be so kind)

1. Is Kettlebell Hard suitable for someone who is completely new to kettlebell training?
2. I lack chest development. Will some of what you have in here help with building my chest out?

Thanks in advance :)

Ru

Not Geoff, but I’d definitely recommend getting your form down on the double kettlebell movements (rack position, front squat, press, swing, snatch) in whatever way you choose before doing complexes.

I can recommend the instructions in KB STRONG! If not, post some videos of each movement on the forum as a form check and people will help you clean it up if needed.

The KB C+P will build your chest some but if you’re after maximal development do some direct chest work (push ups/dips/bench). Happy to be corrected here by someone who has got a big chest without ever doing those 3 exercises however!

Not Geoff, but I’d definitely recommend getting your form down on the double kettlebell movements (rack position, front squat, press, swing, snatch) in whatever way you choose before doing complexes.

I can recommend the instructions in KB STRONG! If not, post some videos of each movement on the forum as a form check and people will help you clean it up if needed.

The KB C+P will build your chest some but if you’re after maximal development do some direct chest work (push ups/dips/bench). Happy to be corrected here by someone who has got a big chest without ever doing those 3 exercises however!
Thanks mate. Appreciate the comment.

Also been looking at and considering the programs from Kettlebell Kings or Living Fit.

Basically, I want to incorporate it with my TRX, Boxing, Concept Rowing to build a strong, functional, yet athletic body. Nothing over the top and unrealistic.

I'm 38 and need to get my a#@ into gear again :)

In saying all of that, Geoff's stuff did peak my interest.

I second KB Strong! as an excellent foundational curriculum for double kettlebell work. That said, I've finished testing myself on DMP and DSN, and I'm about to dive into my first cycle of Geoff's complexes. After a cycle of KB Strong! Phase One, I did two cycles with a pair of 24's in The Giant 3.0. My RM got up to 8. So far, so good on that. But, I was starting to feel some wear and tear from the heavy work.

I'm a little nervous that I'll lose some of that DCP strength, but I want to try a bit of a different stimulus. I'm dropping the training weights and heading into one or two cycles of KB Hard. I've also never done complexes before, so I don't know what to expect on difficulty. Given my tests, and the newness of the double snatch to me, I plan on a cycle of Clean 'Em Up with a pair of 16s. Then, depending on my subsequent strength, I'd like to try a cycle of The Wolf with a pair of 20s. (I've read earlier comments that I should err on the light side, especially if I'm just starting out on complexes.)

After that, I don't know whether I'll do a third cycle from KB Hard, go back to The Giant, or head back to KB Strong!. I don't want to lose sight of my ever-increasing DCP strength goals. When I first got my second 24kg a few years ago, I could barely eke out a shaky double. I'll test the DCP at that point, and make the call from there.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the comment.

Also been looking at and considering the programs from Kettlebell Kings or Living Fit.

Basically, I want to incorporate it with my TRX, Boxing, Concept Rowing to build a strong, functional, yet athletic body. Nothing over the top and unrealistic.

I'm 38 and need to get my a#@ into gear again :)

In saying all of that, Geoff's stuff did peak my interest.
Welcome to this great forum.

Geoff's stuff is excellent.

How new are you to kettlebells? If you're a novice, here is what I would do. If you can get an instructor, learn the 2 hand swing, clean, press, racked front squat, or goblet squat, and the Turkish Getup (do these without weight at first)

Then get Enter the Kettlebell. I am not a Simple and Sinister guy. There is so much more versatility than that workout. No offense to the people who do it. Run the Program Minimum for 4-6 weeks and get started.

For your chest, I would say, pushups and dips. Unfortunately kettlebells aren't the best tool for that. You can do floor presses, but I'm not a fan of those.

Get really good using singles and then after 3 months, practice using double kettlebells. The problem with Hard is the double snatch. You'll take your head off if you've never done them before.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom