all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I second KB Strong! as an excellent foundational curriculum for double kettlebell work. That said, I've finished testing myself on DMP and DSN, and I'm about to dive into my first cycle of Geoff's complexes. After a cycle of KB Strong! Phase One, I did two cycles with a pair of 24's in The Giant 3.0. My RM got up to 8. So far, so good on that. But, I was starting to feel some wear and tear from the heavy work.

I'm a little nervous that I'll lose some of that DCP strength, but I want to try a bit of a different stimulus. I'm dropping the training weights and heading into one or two cycles of KB Hard. I've also never done complexes before, so I don't know what to expect on difficulty. Given my tests, and the newness of the double snatch to me, I plan on a cycle of Clean 'Em Up with a pair of 16s. Then, depending on my subsequent strength, I'd like to try a cycle of The Wolf with a pair of 20s. (I've read earlier comments that I should err on the light side, especially if I'm just starting out on complexes.)

After that, I don't know whether I'll do a third cycle from KB Hard, go back to The Giant, or head back to KB Strong!. I don't want to lose sight of my ever-increasing DCP strength goals. When I first got my second 24kg a few years ago, I could barely eke out a shaky double. I'll test the DCP at that point, and make the call from there.
My main experience with Geoff's complexes is the Kettlebell Muscle program (the standalone book), and I found that I maintained my pressing strength very well, even working with much lighter weights.

With double bell complexes you accumulate a lot of time under tension, zipped up in the rack and with the bells overhead. I did KB Muscle with a pair of 16s and didn't touch a heavier bell for 12 weeks. When I tested myself afterward, I was at least as strong as I was before the program with 32kg double MPs and 36kg single MPs.

YMMV, but even if you lose a little top end strength, it won't be much and I'd expect you to be able to recover it very quickly.

My main experience with Geoff's complexes is the Kettlebell Muscle program (the standalone book), and I found that I maintained my pressing strength very well, even working with much lighter weights.

With double bell complexes you accumulate a lot of time under tension, zipped up in the rack and with the bells overhead. I did KB Muscle with a pair of 16s and didn't touch a heavier bell for 12 weeks. When I tested myself afterward, I was at least as strong as I was before the program with 32kg double MPs and 36kg single MPs.

YMMV, but even if you lose a little top end strength, it won't be much and I'd expect you to be able to recover it very quickly.
Outstanding. Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

Hey guys.

New here and new to Kettlebells.

I have 2 silly questions that I'm hoping to get answers on.

@Geoff Neupert (if you'd be so kind)

1. Is Kettlebell Hard suitable for someone who is completely new to kettlebell training?
2. I lack chest development. Will some of what you have in here help with building my chest out?

Thanks in advance :)

Ru
Hi Ru,

1. No it's not. The ONLY caveat I'd make is if you have an extremely strong background in Olympic Weightlifting.
2. Yes, some. But for "pure" chest development, you want to do chest exercises.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to this great forum.

Geoff's stuff is excellent.

How new are you to kettlebells? If you're a novice, here is what I would do. If you can get an instructor, learn the 2 hand swing, clean, press, racked front squat, or goblet squat, and the Turkish Getup (do these without weight at first)

Then get Enter the Kettlebell. I am not a Simple and Sinister guy. There is so much more versatility than that workout. No offense to the people who do it. Run the Program Minimum for 4-6 weeks and get started.

For your chest, I would say, pushups and dips. Unfortunately kettlebells aren't the best tool for that. You can do floor presses, but I'm not a fan of those.

Get really good using singles and then after 3 months, practice using double kettlebells. The problem with Hard is the double snatch. You'll take your head off if you've never done them before.
Appreciate your comment Brian. Thank you.

I am pretty damn new to Kettle Bells to be honest.

Getting an instructor here in South Africa (or at least my neck of the woods here) isn't that easy unfortunately.

That said, I'll have a bit of a dig around to see what I can find :)

Thanks again.
Ru

Appreciate your comment Brian. Thank you.

I am pretty damn new to Kettle Bells to be honest.

Getting an instructor here in South Africa (or at least my neck of the woods here) isn't that easy unfortunately.

That said, I'll have a bit of a dig around to see what I can find :)

Thanks again.
Ru
Ru,

Look up Shaun Cairns. He's a StrongFirst Master Instructor.

I've known him for 15 years. He's excellent.

Ru,

Look up Shaun Cairns. He's a StrongFirst Master Instructor.

I've known him for 15 years. He's excellent.

I second.

Shaun was my team leader at my first kettlebell certification and got to assist at a level 2 in Sydney with him as lead instructor. Definitely a top not teacher

I can also confirm the title is accurate. After finishing the complete Giant series with dbl 20kg bells, I purchased and began the "Basic" with the same bells. Humbling. I am waiting for my second 16kg bell to arrive. I will make a second run with dbl 16kg bells. I'll report back.

Is there any recommendations on bell size to use for these programs? I couldn’t find it in the PDF.

At the moment I’m trying to get my 24s to a 10RM C+P and FSQ. Would that be enough to have a crack at these or should I be getting it up to 15-20RM territory?

Is there any recommendations on bell size to use for these programs? I couldn’t find it in the PDF.

At the moment I’m trying to get my 24s to a 10RM C+P and FSQ. Would that be enough to have a crack at these or should I be getting it up to 15-20RM territory?

A 15-18rm press RM and a 10-12 snatch rm are good choices to start with

^you have a lifetime to get stronger so no need to rush..

If you handle most of the complexes in hard with 20s and use a 1:3 work to rest ratio, you'll most likely have most bases covered from what I have seen

For The Olympic 3.0 I used my 15RM for the double snatch (for me double 24s)

Wait you double snatch 24x2 kg for 15 reps? That's strong!
Friday 27 August in the morning, after a week of holiday, I have done a test with the double snatch. I have done 15 repetitions with the kg 24 kettlebells. In the afternoon of the same day I started The Olympic 3.0.

Considers that in the previous year I did Phase 1 and Phase 2 of Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Strong; A.B.S., 701A and 701B from Double Kettlebell Manifesto by Hector Gutierrez Jr., and something random from Kettlebell Express Ultra Reload.

Last edited:
Forgive my short term memory but which were the top 3 easiest and hardest complexes again in your opinion??
I've run all these with double 45's So it's based off that.
Hardest
1. The A + P Try heavy day of each using the bells you ran for the Wolf. Can't complete it.
2. Clean 'em Up. Heavy day is brutal. 14 reps of press, 5 rounds. I did complete this 7 years ago, definitely can' t now.
3. The Long Haul. Last 3 weeks are really hard.
Honorable Mention The Wolf. Heavy day the last week was memorable misery

Easiest (Though non are easy)
1. Oh Row You Don't. I can run heavier bells on easy and medium days.
2. You don't know squat 2.0 Good program not the killer that the Wolf is
3. The Universe I have no problem with double swings.
Honorable Mention The Olympic. I have no problem with jerks. I like doing thm.

More core is a throwaway for me.

Friday 27 August in the morning, after a week of holiday, I have done a test with the double snatch. I have done 15 repetitions with the kg 24 kettlebells. In the afternoon of the same day I started The Olympic 3.0.

Considers that in the previous year I did Phase 1 and Phase 2 of Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Strong; A.B.S., 701A and 701B from Double Kettlebell Manifesto by Hector Gutierrez Jr., and something random from Kettlebell Express Ultra Reload.
Great work on the double snatch. Before you start a program. Test yourself by doing a low rep complex.

Something like:
Double clean x 3
Double squat x 3
Double snatch x 3
Double Press x 3.

Do 3 rounds and rest using a 1:2 or 1:3 work: rest ratio. It's a different animal in the middle/toward the end of a complex when the grip is fatigued and the shoulders are tired.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom