all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've run all these with double 45's So it's based off that.
Hardest
1. The A + P Try heavy day of each using the bells you ran for the Wolf. Can't complete it.
2. Clean 'em Up. Heavy day is brutal. 14 reps of press, 5 rounds. I did complete this 7 years ago, definitely can' t now.
3. The Long Haul. Last 3 weeks are really hard.
Honorable Mention The Wolf. Heavy day the last week was memorable misery

Easiest (Though non are easy)
1. Oh Row You Don't. I can run heavier bells on easy and medium days.
2. You don't know squat 2.0 Good program not the killer that the Wolf is
3. The Universe I have no problem with double swings.
Honorable Mention The Olympic. I have no problem with jerks. I like doing thm.

More core is a throwaway for me.
Thoughts on upper back attack and lucky 13?

Thoughts on upper back attack and lucky 13?
Just finished Lucky 13. Heavy day is a bear. The last week, I altered it. Same amount of time, just rested between exercises vs. rounds.
Ran it as a chain Good leg shaker as both lunges and squats are included. It's not often a double snatch feels like relief.
I blogged about it here

Upper back attack, I felt was one of the easier ones. Ran as a chain, only 5 reps. The last week of 7 rounds was a lot of work. A real good one to start with if you're new to Kettlebell Hard/More Kettlebell Muscle.

Mark, I'm a HUGE fan of both Jerk Work and Herky Jerky. 2 of my favorites. They're awesome. Pretty difficult, but in a great way.

Just finished Lucky 13. Heavy day is a bear. The last week, I altered it. Same amount of time, just rested between exercises vs. rounds.
Ran it as a chain Good leg shaker as both lunges and squats are included. It's not often a double snatch feels like relief.
I blogged about it here

Upper back attack, I felt was one of the easier ones. Ran as a chain, only 5 reps. The last week of 7 rounds was a lot of work. A real good one to start with if you're new to Kettlebell Hard/More Kettlebell Muscle.

Mark, I'm a HUGE fan of both Jerk Work and Herky Jerky. 2 of my favorites. They're awesome. Pretty difficult, but in a great way.

I'm not so sure if I'll end up trying those two but you never know..

For jerk based plans, I love RMF and KB elite by Hector Gutierrez Jr.

I've been waiting to find a deal for a pair of 16kg KBs so I can actually run some of the programs in HARD!. Got a notification today that Walmart has kettlebells back in stock as of this morning, in case any one else is cheap like I am and doesn't want to spend much more than $1/lb. And, as always, free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work on the double snatch. Before you start a program. Test yourself by doing a low rep complex.

Something like:
Double clean x 3
Double squat x 3
Double snatch x 3
Double Press x 3.

Do 3 rounds and rest using a 1:2 or 1:3 work: rest ratio. It's a different animal in the middle/toward the end of a complex when the grip is fatigued and the shoulders are tired.
Yes, I had some experience with complexes. I just finished The Olympic 3.0 with 24 kg kettlebells.
Now I'm considering what to start. Nothing too extreme

Are people doing these complexes as their only training M/W/F or doing other things alongside?

The barbell bolt-on looks interesting to go alongside to work on max strength while taking care of the test through complexes.

Are people doing these complexes as their only training M/W/F or doing other things alongside?

The barbell bolt-on looks interesting to go alongside to work on max strength while taking care of the test through complexes.
You can run these as your only training. Some of these are so nasty that you should.

I've run them in the past doing 2 at the same time. MWF Shoulder Smoker, TTS, You Don't Know Squat, for example I've also done them 2 weeks in 1. MTW, Week 1 Lucky 13, TTFS, Week 2.

The workouts are so brief, that you can do other stuff, as long as it doesn't interfere with the main program. Or, enjoy the offdays and just walk.

Trying to get some guidance on how to approach a dilemma i'm facing while running WOLF, and I would assume is a challenge that would come up on other complexes.

I am comfortable working with double 20s, except for the Heavy day. So I brought the weight down to double 16s. Now I feel that the Med and Light days feel very easy. How can I make this work? I was thinking of the following options

1. Use double 16s on M and L days but compress rest times
2. Use double 20s for M and L days but double 16s for H day
3. Use double 20s but on H day take a break in between the complex by putting the bells down for like 5-10 secs.
4. Last option is dont alter the program and use double 16s even if M and L days feel very easy

Any thoughts on how to approach this? I was planning to write to @Geoff Neupert directly but thought this might be something that others might also be facing. Of course, would appreciate @Geoff Neupert 's advice regarding the same.

Use the 20's for light and medium day. On heavy day, if you can, do one set with the 20's. If not, use the 16's. If you can do one set with the 20's. during the next heavy day or 2 weeks heavy day, try to add on more set with the 20's.

Or consider running it as a chain, not a complex. You're still going to get dirty, but it's easier to do one rep of an exercise than 5 straight reps.

I like chains better than complexes.

I have another tweak that I use sometimes, by turning the complex into a rest/pause workout.

You do need to figure out how long a sets is going to take. So, let's say it takes 100 seconds to do a round on heavy day. And you have 4 rounds to do. Work : Rest is 1:2. So you rest 200 seconds between rounds.
Round 1, 300 seconds, Round 2, 300 seconds, Round 3 300 seconds Round 4 100. The workout is going to take 1000 seconds or 16:40.
Each round consists of 6 exercises. So break down each round. 6 exercises per round, x 4 rounds =24 sets of exercise.

Take 1000 seconds and divide it by 24. You're going to start a new set every 41/42 seconds.
Start clock
Double clean x 5
Put bells down, shake it out until 41 seconds
Front squat x 5 shake it out until 83 second
Press x 5 shake it out to 2:04 and so on until you finish all 24 sets.

You have to watch the clock, but you'll be gassed. And you will finish the workout in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Trying to get some guidance on how to approach a dilemma i'm facing while running WOLF, and I would assume is a challenge that would come up on other complexes.

I am comfortable working with double 20s, except for the Heavy day. So I brought the weight down to double 16s. Now I feel that the Med and Light days feel very easy. How can I make this work? I was thinking of the following options

1. Use double 16s on M and L days but compress rest times
2. Use double 20s for M and L days but double 16s for H day
3. Use double 20s but on H day take a break in between the complex by putting the bells down for like 5-10 secs.
4. Last option is dont alter the program and use double 16s even if M and L days feel very easy

Any thoughts on how to approach this? I was planning to write to @Geoff Neupert directly but thought this might be something that others might also be facing. Of course, would appreciate @Geoff Neupert 's advice regarding the same.
I did Option 3 with Wolf (had to put them down for about 5-10s before I finished), though I hadn't planned it that way. I just simply could not get through a whole set of the hard day in week 1. I think in the 2nd week, I got through the whole complex once but had to rest during the other rounds, and by the 3rd week, I was able to basically do the Hard day of Week 1 (using every bit of will-power in my gut and energy in my body). I think if I had it to do over, I'd either try as a chain, or back-off the weight and make the light and medium days feel.....light and medium, and the hard day......hard, but not impossible. I was following the "use this weight" guidance written into the program, but it was, for me, pretty optimistic.

I'm about to start my first program in HARD! but can't decide on one. Would someone mind picking for me? I've narrowed it down to: upper back attack; the universe; sir snatch-a-lot; lucky 13; oh row you don't; clean 'em up.

No, I don't have any particular goals in mind. Just want to leave it up to chance. Thanks for doing me a solid.

I'm about to start my first program in HARD! but can't decide on one. Would someone mind picking for me? I've narrowed it down to: upper back attack; the universe; sir snatch-a-lot; lucky 13; oh row you don't; clean 'em up.

No, I don't have any particular goals in mind. Just want to leave it up to chance. Thanks for doing me a solid.
Start with Oh Row You Don't. Probably the most user friendly.

Use the 20's for light and medium day. On heavy day, if you can, do one set with the 20's. If not, use the 16's. If you can do one set with the 20's. during the next heavy day or 2 weeks heavy day, try to add on more set with the 20's.

Or consider running it as a chain, not a complex. You're still going to get dirty, but it's easier to do one rep of an exercise than 5 straight reps.

I like chains better than complexes.

I have another tweak that I use sometimes, by turning the complex into a rest/pause workout.

You do need to figure out how long a sets is going to take. So, let's say it takes 100 seconds to do a round on heavy day. And you have 4 rounds to do. Work : Rest is 1:2. So you rest 200 seconds between rounds.
Round 1, 300 seconds, Round 2, 300 seconds, Round 3 300 seconds Round 4 100. The workout is going to take 1000 seconds or 16:40.
Each round consists of 6 exercises. So break down each round. 6 exercises per round, x 4 rounds =24 sets of exercise.

Take 1000 seconds and divide it by 24. You're going to start a new set every 41/42 seconds.
Start clock
Double clean x 5
Put bells down, shake it out until 41 seconds
Front squat x 5 shake it out until 83 second
Press x 5 shake it out to 2:04 and so on until you finish all 24 sets.

You have to watch the clock, but you'll be gassed. And you will finish the workout in the same amount of time.
Thanks @BrianCF . These are some really interesting options to work with.

I did Option 3 with Wolf (had to put them down for about 5-10s before I finished), though I hadn't planned it that way. I just simply could not get through a whole set of the hard day in week 1. I think in the 2nd week, I got through the whole complex once but had to rest during the other rounds, and by the 3rd week, I was able to basically do the Hard day of Week 1 (using every bit of will-power in my gut and energy in my body). I think if I had it to do over, I'd either try as a chain, or back-off the weight and make the light and medium days feel.....light and medium, and the hard day......hard, but not impossible. I was following the "use this weight" guidance written into the program, but it was, for me, pretty optimistic.
Yep. That’s exactly how I approached it. Double 20s are the weight that I am supposed to use but I can’t get through the Heavy day :D I was trying to follow the program to the word - to not put down the bells for the entire complex. Maybe I shouldn’t be so stringent to begin with and as I see from your example over time you were able to get through the heavy day with the recommended weight. That makes me optimistic.

I really appreciate this conversation. I've been thinking about changing to a different program; these complexes are harder than any other weight training I can remember doing. It reminds me of running 800s in high school track when I was a sprinter.

The conversation gives me ideas for how to persist, if I continue with KB Hard.

Last edited:
Yep. That’s exactly how I approached it. Double 20s are the weight that I am supposed to use but I can’t get through the Heavy day :D I was trying to follow the program to the word - to not put down the bells for the entire complex. Maybe I shouldn’t be so stringent to begin with and as I see from your example over time you were able to get through the heavy day with the recommended weight. That makes me optimistic.
A quick update from me. I went through the Heavy day of WOLF with double 20s. I was surprised I could get through the complex. Last time I just couldn’t do it. This time although I could do it my shoulders were the weakest link each set. I am so happy I could do it though. Only on the 4th set I felt my quads weak. Hopefully they are conditioned to get through 5th set next week. Another thing I noticed is this workout took a lot out of my system. Just felt super drained 1 hour after the workout and still do. Had to load myself with carbs.

To anyone thinking of getting kettlebell hard, do it. Great complexes and with the bonus books in there it’s
the best deal ever. Bolt on itself is great, you’ll start seeing results right away!
I agree. I already owned MKM and HARD is a further refinement of the same. Despite that I went ahead and purchased and don’t regret it at all. Definitely worth it !

Glad to see I am not the only one with this dilemma…. Running the Wolf with the 16 kg was light enough that I was really having to push the pace on the light and medium days to get much of a workout. So I tried the 24’s, and I am having a hard time making it through the last set each day. I’m doing them as a chain, and it seems to be my shoulders that are the limiting factor. However, I like the feeling from doing it with the heavier weights. So I think I will keep the 16’s in reserve for that last set if needed. I guess I was also hung up on doing it as written, but I’d rather get that last chain in than fail on the last few reps.

I concur with @mvikred that this workout takes a lot out of you… have noticed myself dragging a bit and needing more sleep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom