all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Here's another tidbit I can share with everyone here running any KB hard plan...

Treat each day individually.

Currently wrapping up w2 of lucky 13 as written..

I can follow the advanced plan with 20s for light day but use beginner-intermediate plan for medium and heavy day with 16s (first set with 20s on medium day)

Let your recovery abilities dictate how you push forward..

When you get to being able to do most of the plans with 24s even using beginner recommendations, that's still a lot of volume

I got done with Week 3 Day 3 of WOLF with double 20s. It was heavy day and set of 5. That last set of 5 was hell. I just didnt want to give up. However, I felt a couple of things that I need to watch out for next time. Last set of Double snatches I sort of lost my balance for the last 2 reps, probably because fatigue was setting in. The last 2 reps of the presses were a hardcore grind, like I really had to get a lot out of my body to get done, and surprisingly those cleans were helping my shoulders relax for a brief moment. I was feeling a whole lot of inertia to start this but decided that I just do it rather than contemplate how hard its going to be. I was pushing my HR close to 170bpm, maybe even more during the complex. Once again I had to load myself with some carbs and protein after the workout. Today is a festival in India, and there will be some drinking involved. Not sure how well I’ll recover by tomorrow :-/

I got done with Week 3 Day 3 of WOLF with double 20s. It was heavy day and set of 5. That last set of 5 was hell. I just didnt want to give up. However, I felt a couple of things that I need to watch out for next time. Last set of Double snatches I sort of lost my balance for the last 2 reps, probably because fatigue was setting in. The last 2 reps of the presses were a hardcore grind, like I really had to get a lot out of my body to get done, and surprisingly those cleans were helping my shoulders relax for a brief moment. I was feeling a whole lot of inertia to start this but decided that I just do it rather than contemplate how hard its going to be. I was pushing my HR close to 170bpm, maybe even more during the complex. Once again I had to load myself with some carbs and protein after the workout. Today is a festival in India, and there will be some drinking involved. Not sure how well I’ll recover by tomorrow :-/
Week 3 and 6 are awful. You're correct on all counts. The cleans are an oasis. The presses are not fun at that point. Great work.

I did week 4 of Ballistic Beatdown today with the work:rest 1:1. First set was awful, then it got better, kind of. 3rd set was good. Under 7 minutes. Not looking forward to heavy day. Thank God it was only 3 rounds.

Week 3 and 6 are awful. You're correct on all counts. The cleans are an oasis. The presses are not fun at that point. Great work.

I did week 4 of Ballistic Beatdown today with the work:rest 1:1. First set was awful, then it got better, kind of. 3rd set was good. Under 7 minutes. Not looking forward to heavy day. Thank God it was only 3 rounds.
I was looking into Ballistic Beatdown too and was wondering if it’s be good for the next run. But I’m thinking I’ll pick something with jerks. A move I haven’t use a lot. But before that I need to think of the next 3 weeks !!!

I was looking into Ballistic Beatdown too and was wondering if it’s be good for the next run. But I’m thinking I’ll pick something with jerks. A move I haven’t use a lot. But before that I need to think of the next 3 weeks !!!

It can be depending on what you want to achieve...

Are you looking to build more overall strength? Drop bodyfat?

At this point I’m focusing a bit more on dropping body fat !!

I'd probably run KB burn extreme the original version or the hybrid one using kettlebells and bodyweight after the wolf with one pair up from what you use on light day and stay at a mild caloric deficit

I'd probably run KB burn extreme the original version or the hybrid one using kettlebells and bodyweight after the wolf with one pair up from what you use on light day and stay at a mild caloric deficit
Didn’t think about that one but I think it’s a good time to run it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn’t think about that one but I think it’s a good time to run it. Thanks for the suggestion.
My protege loves the burn extreme series..

When lockdown season 1 here in manila hit, he ran the original version dropped about 11 pounds and turned his 9rm into an 11rm..

If I recall correctly

My protege loves the burn extreme series..

When lockdown season 1 here in manila hit, he ran the original version dropped about 11 pounds and turned his 9rm into an 11rm..

If I recall correctly
Just so that I’m picking the right one. The following are the ones I have purchased from Geoff. Is it one of the following programs you are recommending?

1. Kettlebell Burn 2.0
2. Kettlebell Burn Extreme Reloaded

I was thinking you were referring to Extreme Reloaded, right?

Burn extreme. I still prefer the original one over reloaded just because of the systemic load

Did heavy day week 4 of Ballistic Beatdown with a 1:1 work rest ratio. This was pretty high on the misery index on the 3rd round. The last 3 jerks took all my effort to lock out the left arm. First set felt normal but with only 2 minutes rest between rounds, the grip got ornery and my heart was pounding.

I never felt like I wasn't going to finish but I was still catching my breath 10 minutes later. Next week will be interesting. 8.5 for misery

Burn extreme. I still prefer the original one over reloaded just because of the systemic load
Ahh .. just researched and found that the only difference is in the Ballistic portion. But I agree, Double Cleans and Double Swings would definitely have a higher systemic load.

Had a day off on Sunday and on Monday I did my Week 5 : Day 1 (Medium) workout of WOLF. I think that one day of rest did wonders to how I felt during the workout. It went more easily than I had anticipated. Kept all the rest periods to 1:3 or slightly lower. Was feeling great after I was done with 4 sets. Had another 2-3 sets in me. Finished with a 10x10 SA swings under 5 mins. Felt great !

Thought I would try You Don't Know Squat. Was quite surprised at the difficulty. Day 1 was easy. Day 2 was a bit of a struggle.

Think I might just alternate days 1 and 2 for a week or two before I attempt Day 3. Anyone else do this sort of thing with these programs?

Thought I would try You Don't Know Squat. Was quite surprised at the difficulty. Day 1 was easy. Day 2 was a bit of a struggle.

Think I might just alternate days 1 and 2 for a week or two before I attempt Day 3. Anyone else do this sort of thing with these programs?
You try one weight lower !! I did that and went through the program for 3 weeks and then started it again with the right set of bells. That kinda worked for me !!!

I have one more week doing The Wolf and am VERY pleased with this program and book. As a ”bolt-on” option I do weighted pull-ups and pistol progressions and on alternating days I’m doing the “kneesovertoesguy” ATG Zero program (this is mostly mobility, foot and ankle strengthening). I’m also walking an average of 11,000 steps per day and increasing 1000 steps per month. At 52, I’m at my lowest weight since high school and feel great. Highly recommend Geoff’s programming. My plan is to do John Odden’s Ancient Strength with sandbags, cycle back to Fabio Zonin’s “Simple Strength For Difficult Times” and back again to a Kettlebell Hard program.

Just got done with the day 1 of the last week. Was good fun. I think the last day, not surprisingly, will be a very tough one.

I just got done with WOLF. Here are my thoughts about the same.

Programming wise the volume and intensity just sneaks up on you. The Front squats make everything more difficult. Spike the heart rate up and then everything is a grind. As I mentioned earlier, the Double Cleans felt like a god sent break on the Heavy day of the program. The volume on Front squats goes up from 105 in Week 1 to 175 in Week 3 and back down to 105 in Week 4 to 175 in Week 6, the second round with lower rest periods. The positives I take away from this program is that I never though I could do this with double 20s. After my first week with double 16s, I switched to double 20s and things got interesting pretty quickly. I was running double programs during this whole time, i.e. WOLF on Mon, Wed, Fri and Q&D on Tue, Thu, Sat with Sunday mostly going for a run or a Mobility focused workout. I definitely see some changes in my upper body and saw that the weighing scale on body composition move very marginally lower, which I would definitely say is because of my diet. Festival time in India. 2 festivals in one month, make for a whole lot of food and drinking. With that done I can keep it clean until the end of the year now. However, I definitely saw my conditioning improve by a lot. Not surprisingly it is a great program to run and since it is only 6 weeks long everyone can try it out. Might come back to it for another round when I can bump the weights up to 24s.

I just got done with WOLF. Here are my thoughts about the same.

Programming wise the volume and intensity just sneaks up on you. The Front squats make everything more difficult. Spike the heart rate up and then everything is a grind. As I mentioned earlier, the Double Cleans felt like a god sent break on the Heavy day of the program. The volume on Front squats goes up from 105 in Week 1 to 175 in Week 3 and back down to 105 in Week 4 to 175 in Week 6, the second round with lower rest periods. The positives I take away from this program is that I never though I could do this with double 20s. After my first week with double 16s, I switched to double 20s and things got interesting pretty quickly. I was running double programs during this whole time, i.e. WOLF on Mon, Wed, Fri and Q&D on Tue, Thu, Sat with Sunday mostly going for a run or a Mobility focused workout. I definitely see some changes in my upper body and saw that the weighing scale on body composition move very marginally lower, which I would definitely say is because of my diet. Festival time in India. 2 festivals in one month, make for a whole lot of food and drinking. With that done I can keep it clean until the end of the year now. However, I definitely saw my conditioning improve by a lot. Not surprisingly it is a great program to run and since it is only 6 weeks long everyone can try it out. Might come back to it for another round when I can bump the weights up to 24s.
Excellent work! I appreciate the write up!

It would be interesting to see your results during "non-festival time."

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom