all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Hard-The Wolf

I'm finishing up 6 weeks of "The Wolf", one of many programs in Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Hard. First off, I LOVED this program. Was it tough? Yes, without a doubt but also very manageable as I carefully followed Geoff's recommendations with respect to weight selection and rest periods. I was very conservative with rest the first three weeks and allowed myself to auto-regulate the last three and found a 1:1.5 work to rest ratio to be perfect. Again, I was smart with my weight selection and used 12 kg kettlebells (a comfortable double press 10 RM at the beginning of the program). I have also been training consistently and have a good conditioning base.

On my alternating days I've been doing the ATG (kneesovertoesguy) Zero program. I'm actually paying for it ( rather than wing it from watching YouTube and Instagram) and getting the coaching, working well within my comfort zone and abilities on the various exercises. I also shoot for 10-15K steps per day.

This program along with calorie tracking and the walking helped me shed 17 pounds. I'm 52 years young and feel better than I did at 32. I would encourage anyone looking to improve your conditioning and lose a bit of body fat while practicing double-kettlebell exercises to give this a shot.
Great work!

The Wolf is a memorable program. I ran it over the summer and got great results. It's a true testament to the genius Neupert's programming. I'll definitely run it again next year, but as a chain. I remember those Day 3's, in the August heat standing in my garage in the rack position in the middle of a set and ready to drop the bells...

I'm on my last week of KB Strong and can't wait to get back into double kb complexes in MKM. Something about the work effort in those programs just makes you feel accomplished after each day.

I had to stop, put the bells down and have 5 breaths and then finish today on the 3rd and 4th set, day 3. I think I tried to rush through the snatches but I think it just gassed me too quickly. I need to slow down I think.

Almost halfway through. Im definitely noticing my conditioning improving slowly. Im not ultra strict with rest times though. I don’t bother with timing rest on day 3.

And I’m getting heavier lol, I thought I might lose a few kg’s but it’s the opposite haha

Almost halfway through. Im definitely noticing my conditioning improving slowly. Im not ultra strict with rest times though. I don’t bother with timing rest on day 3.

And I’m getting heavier lol, I thought I might lose a few kg’s but it’s the opposite haha
Great work. Do the reps, get it in the best you can. Week 3 heavy is a KILLER

Week 3 day 3 done. As tough as it is, I didnt have to put the bells down at all in any of the sets. A few times I had to suck 2-3 quick breaths between exercises but didn’t put the bells down.

Cardio/conditioning is always tough for me, ( mainly because I neglect it for strength, no excuses ! ) so I’m pretty damn happy with today!

I haven’t been timing but the next 3 weeks I’ll give myself a reasonable rest time and stick to it. Plenty on day 3 though haha.

I went through the Wolf earlier this year and those Hard days were

100% those hard days are mental. Never looked forward to them but always happy to have done.
When I did the wolf the very last day of the program about killed me. Made it through. but I had to set the bells down. If I do it again it wont be with a pair of 24kgs.

What I found as a useful guideline when using Geoff's programs is to be conservative with weights. If the program recommendation ends up being 20kg bell, best to do it with 16 !! And then figure out the right time to jump to 20 during the program. OR Do med and low days with the recommended weight and the heavy day with one size lower. if you go all days as recommended, I found that the heavy day is brutal !! good for those that can get through but I most definitely can't.

What I found as a useful guideline when using Geoff's programs is to be conservative with weights. If the program recommendation ends up being 20kg bell, best to do it with 16 !! And then figure out the right time to jump to 20 during the program. OR Do med and low days with the recommended weight and the heavy day with one size lower. if you go all days as recommended, I found that the heavy day is brutal !! good for those that can get through but I most definitely can't.
Yeah, I still get a lot out of Geoff’s stuff, even if I’m lighter on the weight than I should be. It’s still worth doing absolutely. I’m using 2x16. That’s not heavy for me on those lifts in isolation but all together back to back you definitely feel it!

Question for the forum on "The Wolf": I've been using kettlebells now for 2 years focusing primarily on tgu's, swings and long cycle. I'm starting the the wolf and my 10-12rm is with 20kg (I have kettlebell kings adjustable bells) but right now I can't get through the first day without putting the bells down in the middle of a complex. Is it recommended to drop weight to be able to get through the complexes without putting it down or is that ok to put them down? I'm also a dad running on very little extra energy with a 3 year old and an 8 month old at home so sleep and rest have been tough...thoughts?

Question for the forum on "The Wolf": I've been using kettlebells now for 2 years focusing primarily on tgu's, swings and long cycle. I'm starting the the wolf and my 10-12rm is with 20kg (I have kettlebell kings adjustable bells) but right now I can't get through the first day without putting the bells down in the middle of a complex. Is it recommended to drop weight to be able to get through the complexes without putting it down or is that ok to put them down? I'm also a dad running on very little extra energy with a 3 year old and an 8 month old at home so sleep and rest have been tough...thoughts?
Of course you can put them down, but then it isn't The Wolf.

If you have to choose between putting them down with a heavier bell, and not putting them down with a lighter bell, go with not putting them down + lighter bell.

I’m halfway through with 2x16. That’s not heavy for me in all the movements and it’s tough.

Ive had a few sets early on where I had to put the bells down and take a few breaths. It’s tough. But I don’t need to put them down now, and I feel like I’m adapting to it.

I think I’ll need to do it back to back as my rest periods aren’t as good as they should be, though I still think it’s worth doing.

Going lighter will still yield benefits imho

Do any of you do additional lifts with the Wolf (or I suppose Geoff’s other programs), before or after, eg some heavier bar work? Ie is it a component of your workout, or the whole thing?

Do any of you do additional lifts with the Wolf (or I suppose Geoff’s other programs), before or after, eg some heavier bar work? Ie is it a component of your workout, or the whole thing?
It depends on your recovery. I wouldn't add anything to it IMO. Because as the weeks go on and the volume goes up recovery is a must. Especially after Day 3's. I ran The Wolf over the summer with double 20's and had great results with it, but that was all I did. I did mix in a lot of walking and a few bike rides here and there. But that was the main program. I'm also focusing on double kettlebell work right now.

Yesterday I did the kettlebell mile but that was in the afternoon ( The wolf I did early am ) but usually only do a few TGU’s or some snatch practice. It’s pretty taxing, I wouldn’t want to do heavy lifts after the wolf. I doubt I could even if I wanted to.

I’m not having luck with weight loss with the wolf though. I’m halfway through and a few kg’s up haha.

Tried it today with 20s. Was a nice complex. Didn’t want to put them down but could tell I was ill conditioned for it/poorly fed for a workout. I put push ups, pull ups and HLR on the end, only short technical sets of each. Then a brisk walk. I think I could have lifted a bar afterwards, but I did not want to. Doing it beforehand might’ve made me feel more prepared, my warmups are often notably almost absent.

I think I shall continue with it.

Back
Top Bottom