all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Hobo Bundle

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've read these your posts on these a couple of times, I think I may actually make one of these and add these movements in to my training.

Thanks for sharing!!

I'm thinking of modifying a cheap standard barbell with spin locks so I can use the plate loader and adjust weight easily.

I've read these your posts on these a couple of times, I think I may actually make one of these and add these movements in to my training.

Thanks for sharing!!

I'm thinking of modifying a cheap standard barbell with spin locks so I can use the plate loader and adjust weight easily.

Give it a go! Don't worry too much about adjusting weight often. Set it up for the given movement and you can fine tune the load with hand positioning. You'll be surprised at how much variable you can get with just a few inches of shift.

My proof-of-concept mockup was a broomhandle and a couple of 10lb plates suspended with paracord. I also tried steel shot in sacks, but ultimately hanging a KB(s) from it with a few round turns was the best solution. A bundle of old window sash weights might be perfect option but KBs good enough.

Keep in mind the heavier the pole the more it will counterbalance the load. The lighter barbells that use spin locks probably work great for this, anything heavier maybe not unless you are a beast and putting very heavy loads on the end.

My pipe is about 6lbs and a bit heavier than I'd like - the heavier pole doesn't seem to make a difference to the working muscles but the core has to do more work with a lighter pole.

Give a shout back if you try it out.

20180622_174852.jpg
You're a strong dude Miller, I started with 20lbs. It's heavier than I thought it would be for the movements you showed.

I'm going to have to treat it like any other exercise and cycle it starting from where I am.

I like exposing weaknesses in body before life exposes them for me, so I'm looking forward to training these movements.

Thanks again for sharing @North Coast Miller !!

View attachment 5816
You're a strong dude Miller, I started with 20lbs. It's heavier than I thought it would be for the movements you showed.

I'm going to have to treat it like any other exercise and cycle it starting from where I am.

I like exposing weaknesses in body before life exposes them for me, so I'm looking forward to training these movements.

Thanks again for sharing @North Coast Miller !!

Very cool that you're giving it a try!

These movements - every one of them - are pretty tough. As a reference I was OHP 32kilo for 5 reps or so when I started and was using 25lbs till I dialed it in - 20 lbs is respectable and don't hesitate to use less. The further you get from the load the heavier it gets anyway.

It has taken months for me to advance the weight, but I don't really care about that and neither will you if you do these for any time - the actual load on the end of the pole is just a relative value.

I initially did these as sort of a physical thought experiment, and now I can't bring myself to stop.

This strategy seems like getting comfortable being strong in uncomfortable positions

I look at it as engaging the core to stabilize working with something outside your center of gravity. Even swings and snatches don't do this to any great extent - if the KB were to disappear mid move you wouldn't go flying off.

And I'm still not sure how to describe the effect of doing most movements with the shoulders changing positions and the arms staying in a fairly tight range at the elbow.The movements don't have a lock-out or even a feeling of chambering with exception of when the load is completely lowered.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom