all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell hypertrophy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I am looking for a simple hypertrophy program for my buddy. He says he has about 2-3 days a week. We figured that rotk and kb muscle are just a little too complex and requires several bells. The two programs I have found are the kettlebear and the promethius protocol. Both utilize just two bells and two moves. The structure of the workout is pretty close.

I haven't been worried about hypertrophy for a while, so I just skimmed the bear protocal. However, I believe it's basically as simple as sets of 5 for allot of sets with 1 min rests. Don't go to failure

Kettlebell Muscle worked for me, but I have recently "hypertrophied" if that's the word from doing phase two of Geoff Neupert's "Strong" program. Wasn't necessarily a goal of mine, just kind of happened.

These are featured in blog entries on our web site. (If anyone cares to post the links, please do, and thanks in advance for that.)

-S-

I've read a little about Geoffs one and strong programs. Are they worth getting? Are they as easy as they seems to be from what I read? By easy I mean not complex or require a phd to implement and don't require a lot of bells.

Kettlebell Muscle is the simplest program to implement that you will ever see, and only requires one pair of bells. It's simple in the sense that there is absolutely no thinking or decision-making involved, after you decide what size bells to use in the first place. Every set, rep, and rest period is specified. You just show up and do the work. Like any other program, is does require that you have good technique in the exercises used.

KB Strong can be adapted more toward strength or hypertrophy, and for different exercises, such as C&P or C&FSQ. The One program is more of a conditioning program that can be combined with Strong or done on its own. Both programs only require one pair of bells that you can milk for a long time.

I looked up the two programs you mention, which look perfectly reasonable. One thing I don't like about the KettleBear program is that it has you doing a lot of C&Ps and then FSQs with the same bells. I'd prefer more cleans and front squats with heavier bells. The Prometheus program at least lets you use heavier bells for the FSQs. But then you need different sets of bells, which you said you wanted to avoid. Again, IMO, for hypertrophy, the money is going to be more in heavy C&FSQ, with presses as a supplement, not vice versa.

Aside from those programs, two of my favorite simple complexes originate, AFAIK, with Dan John. There are lots of ways to progress these. For hypertrophy, keep the rest periods relatively brief (2 minutes or less).

The first is the 213 "grad workout" complex (2 DCL, 1 DMP, 3 DFSQ). This one has a great ratio of pressing to cleaning and squatting, so you can use heavier bells and aren't too limited by having to get them overhead, since there is only one press in each set.

The second is the DCL & DFSQ ladder (1 DCL/1 DFSQ, 2 DCL/2 DFSQ, etc, without putting the bells down). This one you have to do to appreciate, and don't think your arms don't get enough work, especially as you progress the ladders higher.

Last edited:
“total tension" kettlebell complex - StrongFirst

I've done the total tension complex. It is great, but good Lord you will be hating life in squat days. You make it to the top of the pyramid and think you'll be able to get some relief as the squat numbers decrease, but it is still lots of suffering.

Totally recommend it. Probably my favorite program for the "straight up and down" Kettlebell lifts.

I've read a little about Geoffs one and strong programs. Are they worth getting? Are they as easy as they seems to be from what I read? By easy I mean not complex or require a phd to implement and don't require a lot of bells.

Kb Strong+One is a solid choice if you do decide to follow it and implement it

Just a thought, and I hate messing with a good program, but you could drop the rows from the Total Tension Complex and only did it twice per week instead of three. I think that would be enough recovery time to keep progressing with it for at least until you're ready to jump up a bell size.

Fast Tens, I did that right after the ROP and before KBM about five years ago. It was quite effective. I forgot about that.

The workouts seem short but if you do them with appropriately weighted bells, it will kick your butt! I wanted to do additional work with the program but wasn't terribly motivated after doing each session.

The program is simple and effective, but it is the quality instruction that makes KB Strong worth the money. It's worth noting that NONE of these programs is for beginners. He'd probably do well to start with Simple & Sinister and a solid diet.

How long should a hypertrophy cycle be to see any results? I will be getting layed off in a couple weeks for two to three weeks. Should I join my buddy in his quest for a few weeks or just stay my course on S&S with deadlifts?

Just to clarify, KB Muscle is a 12 week program with two six-week phases.

Phase 1 certainly works as a stand alone six-week program, as the previous posters have done.

I'm torn between the bear and km. Since I'll be home and have access to a barbell I'd like to take advantage of that. On the other hand when the layoff is over,I could take a couple bells with me to finish the program.
My buddy is leaning towards 213, but says if I chose km he'll join me.

My buddy is second guessing km as his snatches aren't good. He is really thinking about 213. If he goes this route, howany sets should he do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom