all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell hypertrophy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
KBM is nuts I only did it for 6 weeks as a well and got pretty big and stronger. It'll make you hate your life when you though.

I couldn't agree more! Even though the sessions are quite brief and the bells are lighter than you would normally use for your standard training for strength and conditioning, the program is tough. It does however deliver great results in conditioning and body composition. I remember when I first did it thinking I would breeze through it with double 24s....quickly changed my mind and attitude! It's awesome program but I don't think it appropriate until a trainee has some time under his belt with basic drills, i.e. completion of the ROP and significant practice of double bell drills.

My buddy is second guessing km as his snatches aren't good. He is really thinking about 213. If he goes this route, howany sets should he do?

Here's one option for training 3 days a week. Keep in mind that I have not personally used or tested this progression, although I have done programs with a somewhat similar organization:

Do a test day. Use 2 minutes rests between sets. Do as many sets as possible, up to 10, while while maintaining good form. Don't kill yourself, but don't leave a lot in the the bank. If you get more than 10, your bells are too light. Another option, instead of manipulating the bell size, is to manipulate the number of reps per set and per exercise so that your baseline comes out between 5 and 10. You can keep the same ratio and do 4-2-6, or try 5-1(or 2)-5, or whatever, but don't bump up the number of presses too much (3 or fewer). This number of sets is your medium day baseline (M).

Next day is light day. Do M-2 sets.

Last day of the week is heavy day. Do M+2 sets.

Each week, try to add up to 2 sets to your medium day without turning it into an all out effort, since you will be doing that number plus two on heavy day.

When medium day is your original M+6, start over but reduce rest periods to 90 seconds.

After that, you can reduce rest periods to 1 minute OR go back to 2 minutes with bigger bells OR switch to something else, perhaps with more of a focus on presses. KB Strong using C&P would be good. Plus, as Baker posted earlier, KB Strong is a good investment anyway for the technique instruction.

With the grad workout just pick two bells (24kgs) and set a timer for 20 minutes and see how many rounds you can get.

Probably be about 10 round on the first go.

Next time try for 11.

When you can do 15 rounds in 20 minutes your rest periods will be pretty minimal.

Maybe at this point try 20 rounds without the timer. By the time you can do that all your questions will likely be answered.

Alright. He is going with the grad workout. Three times a week or every other day? I will be joining him soon to give some friendly competition and encouragement. Might be a nice break from S&S for a bit.

Can't stop thinking about this thread. I like the look of the kettle bear and the Prometheus Protocol quite a bit, and I kinda was thinking about a similar program that involves heavier doubles and an equal focus on strength gains and hypertrophy.

Please let me know what you think.

Take a set of bells you can easily clean and press three times. Follow the program two to three times a week, no more, and only go three times if you are very well rested.

Sessions are five sets of clean and press followed by five sets of front squats. There need to be three minutes of rest, strict, between each set.

For each set do only as many reps as you are confident and strong with. Your first day of clean and presses may look like 3 2 2 1 1 reps and your front squats may look like 4 3 3 3 2.

Repeat those same numbers each session for as long as you need to feel stronger and ONLY when you feel confident and strong do you ad reps during a session. So your steps up in the clean and press my go to 3 2 2 2 2 and later 3 3 2 2 2 all the way to 3 3 3 3 3. At this point add in a set of 4 and follow the same progression.

Follow the same progression for the front squats.

Keep with this program for as log as you can. Once every month or two take a session to do a RM of clean and press and a RM of front squats. Take as long for each of these sets; holding the bells in the rack for 15 seconds or much much longer while you prepare for the next rep of a set is not out of the question.

The average session should take no more than 40 minutes max.

Just out of interest, what sort of hypertrophy have people got from S & S, and by using which bells? I know it isn't a hypertrophy program, but I am wondering what effect doing it daily, compounding, has on body comp?

@s.g mason I've used KB burn and burn extreme by Geoff N in the past year, great programs though they are focused on fat loss. The best program I've used for hypertrophy was the TTC. It really thickens up the upper body and if I wanted to bulk up it would be my port of call along with a day of heavy deadlifts.
Running S and S at the movement with a 32kg and combining it with the pull up program as pull ups have been a goal for me this year. For me anyhow S and S has reduced BF, and leaned me out; as it says in the book gives a "fighters" physique. If you want to develop the upper body I would incorporate pull-ups. I have trained for a long time using trad body building workouts and none of them had the same effect as weighted pull ups and Chin ups.

Kettlebell bear is the most boring thing of all time. I don't think the Prometheus Protocol is anything great. What worked for me was Escalated Density Training
Pick 2 exercises and take a pair of bells that you can handle for 8 reps and do sets of 3-5, as many as you can for 20 minutes, rest 5 minutes and then pick two other exercises and do them for 15. Record rep number Best that number each time you do the workout

Workout A, Monday and Friday
Military Press alternated with rows, 20 minutes
rest 5
Double kettlebell squats alternated with double swings 15

Workout B Wedesday and following Monday
Floor Press and Rows (or pull-ups) 20 minutes
rest 5
Reverse Lunges and Double Snatch or heavy single snatch 15

So if you get 40 presses and rows on Friday do at least 41. It's a great conditioner as well

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom