all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell "jogging"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"Lifting weights faster is not cardio", says Kenneth Jay.  Whatever happened to 80 sets of 8 snatches in 40 minutes to build a heart of elastic steel?

I find the snatch with resting overhead an excellent substitute for long, slow distance - you can hang out overhead as long as you need.  It doesn't matter what you call it.

-S-

I just wondered if there were an inconsistency between VWC and the ad copy for Jay's new book.  VWC was all about lifting weights fast and the cardiovascular benefits it can provide.

Steve, Kenneth has, to put it very mildly, disavowed much of his previous work. I have yet to check out Cardio Code, may do so at some point, as I've heard some good things about it. If I do, I'm sure I will get some useful things out of it, but I doubt it will replace what I currently do.

I have gotten a lot out of swinging, snatching, deadlifting, and other things that Kenneth does not currently endorse. My health is, by any measure, excellent. I'm always willing to learn from new sources, but I also filter that through my own experiences as well. And it's not uncommon that I can learn a lot from a person or discipline, without necessarily witching over to their methods. For example, I have taken a few lessons with GS coaches, and although I stuck with hardstyle lifting, not GS, it was still an invaluable learning experience that helped me enormously.

Similarly, I've learned a ton from your posts, even though our pursuits are very different.

IMHO, the first question to ask is goals, and specifically how good at what do you need to be?  If you need what traditional cardio, interval training, etc., brings to you, then do what you need.  For general health and well-being, I feel like a relatively few, well-performed kettlebell swings are sufficient.

-S-

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=9000&issue=00000&article=97062&type=Abstract

Another scientific study that doesn't mean a whole lot.  But it suggests 15 on/15 off KB snatches for VO2 max, and not circuit training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom