all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell lifts programming question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi.

How do you program the following kettlebell lifts:

Double KB front squats - with lop sided weights - a 16 and a 20
KB single leg deadlift
KB snatch or any progression thereof (high pull?)
KB renegade row

The goal is primarily strength with whatever mass I happen to find along the way. Once a week sessions like alternating A (say KB FS and KB snatch) with B (the other 2 lifts) would be ideal. Don't want to rush. Prepared to put in the time to reap the benefits.

Any and all answers appreciated. Thanks.

If you are only doing 1 day a week I would do the same program each time.
Power movement: 1a swing or snatch can go here depending on skill level.
wk1 3x10 wk2 4x10 wk3 5x10 wk4 5x10

strength: circuit through the rest of the exercises mentioned
Warm up x6
Warm up x6
Work set x6
Work set x6

so take the squat, you would do the following
Warm up 16k x6
Warm up 20k x6
Work set 16k/R 20k/Lx6
Work set 20k/R 16k/Lx6
Each week add 2 reps all the way to 12
Wk1 sets of 6 wk2 sets of 8 wk3 sets of 10 wk 4 sets of 12
If you can’t get all the reps repeat the same week next time. Once able to complete you can go through again increasweights slightly or changing exercises for example front rack split squats for the front squat.

This is without knowing much of a background. What is your current experience with training?

For your goals (strength + mass), one great way that i go back to from time to time is the Deep Six KB training. There is bound to an article on this somewhere on the forum, but depending on your weight selection, it can be a nice tonic training or a butt kicker.

For N = 1 to 5
Deep Six (L), Deep Six (R), rest 1min
N = N+1

Deep Six (Side, KB weight)
5 1h SW
5 1h Snatch
5 Squat (can be in the overhead position if you are up to it)
5 Overhead Press (or push press to make it easier)
1 Reverse TGU (or 2-3 Bent Press if you don't want to get down to the ground)

Increase weights when you feel like you own it for 5 solid sets.

Since late March til about 3 weeks ago, I had only single kettlebells so here's how I have trained

Simple strength for difficult times part 1.
Currently halfway thru kettlebell burn 2.0

If you are only doing 1 day a week I would do the same program each time.
Power movement: 1a swing or snatch can go here depending on skill level.
wk1 3x10 wk2 4x10 wk3 5x10 wk4 5x10

strength: circuit through the rest of the exercises mentioned
Warm up x6
Warm up x6
Work set x6
Work set x6

so take the squat, you would do the following
Warm up 16k x6
Warm up 20k x6
Work set 16k/R 20k/Lx6
Work set 20k/R 16k/Lx6
Each week add 2 reps all the way to 12
Wk1 sets of 6 wk2 sets of 8 wk3 sets of 10 wk 4 sets of 12
If you can’t get all the reps repeat the same week next time. Once able to complete you can go through again increasweights slightly or changing exercises for example front rack split squats for the front squat.

This is without knowing much of a background. What is your current experience with training?

Well, I have dabbled. Barbell wise, I have deadlifted 1.5 times my bodyweight. Front squatted just above my bodyweight. Started seriously using kettlebells since April of this year. Am about to reach 100 swings in 5 minutes with the 16 kg. Already ordered the 20 kg because if there is again a lockdown, I would get stuck with the same bell. Tried a pressing program of my own design (such a grand word!) which I shared here.

Now I would like to do the S&S daily (which I had not been till now, mainly because I didn't trust my form enough. Now I do), 3-4 days of MT. I would like to press twice a week with the program that I tried. I would like to add a pulling and a squatting movement to it. Hence, the question.

I should have put in all these details in the original question.

I think you have a lot of things you want to work on. Best would be to simplify. Do S&S and on 2 days instead of doing the get ups you could do your press routine. Add the squats and renagade rows Starting at 4x6 and build up to 4x12 in your warm up.

For N = 1 to 5
Deep Six (L), Deep Six (R), rest 1min
N = N+1

Deep Six (Side, KB weight)
5 1h SW
5 1h Snatch
5 Squat (can be in the overhead position if you are up to it)
5 Overhead Press (or push press to make it easier)
1 Reverse TGU (or 2-3 Bent Press if you don't want to get down to the ground)

Increase weights when you feel like you own it for 5 solid sets.

also agree with godjira1. This would be a good option with current bells. And could be done after your 100 swings instead of getups as well. Hope this helps

Now I would like to do the S&S daily (which I had not been till now, mainly because I didn't trust my form enough. Now I do), 3-4 days of MT. I would like to press twice a week with the program that I tried. I would like to add a pulling and a squatting movement to it.

If you want to add EASY pressing, pulling and squats then add a couple of sets to your warm up to practice the movements.

As a rule, changing the program or adding to the program = not following the program. If you want to do S&S and progress, follow the program.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Don't want to change the program. Want to bang out S&S first thing in the morning and be done with it. Want to add a twice weekly push, pull, squat workout. The pressing part is taken care of. I tried out something and it seems to work for me. I gave a link to it in the previous post. I just want to know how the exercises I named are programmed generally. Looking for something simple, scalable. That's it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom