all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Long Cycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

King Cobra Fit

Matt - CSEP-CPT, SFG I, FMS I&II
I was wondering if anyone here has trained for the 5 min KB Long Cycle (clean & jerk).

There is a comp coming to my town and I'm going to take part. I've got a pair of comp 26's that I am going to start training with in the new year. I have lighter bells at my disposal but those are the only comp size bells that I have.

I'm toying with doing the biathalon (Long cycle and 5 min snatch).

I'm good with techn. of the clean and the snatch. I DO need to get comfortable with double bells again (followed S&S for 6 months last year and been following ROP for a little over 6 weeks now)

If anyone has any wisdom they would care to share that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much all
Matt

I thought GS long cycle was 10 minutes.

I thought so, too. I was just looking at the rules yesterday. Different comps seem to have their own spin on things. For example, the "The California Open Kettlebell Championship" seems to have five minute long-cycle and a few other non-traditional times and events, and the World Kettlebell Club lists four minute long set in its "StrongSport" category.

I don't really know the the sport world though. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

Too many organizations, too many differing sets of rules. Blech...

-S-

@King Cobra Fit, if you find my log (I haven't updated it for the past week), we do 10 minute long sets of jerks and snatches twice a week. Our approach is to do as many sets of X number of reps in that time frame. We've also taken the approach of using ladders, adding one or two reps. Every now and then we do a max rep set to see where we're at.

I was reading Return of the Kettlebell last night, and Pavel has a different approach, similar to the Rite of Passage. The Kindle version's super inexpensive, so just download a copy to get the details.

There is also a girya sport workout generator floating around somewhere out there. The needs of competition (developing an obscene max rep total) are obviously different than doing it simply for fitness and strength, so it might be of more interest to you than the first two options.

Spot on guys. I am scouring the interweb now for the duration of the comp that I would like to do and i'm not having any luck with it.
I will contact the organizers and see what I find out.

10 mins is just a bit different than 5 mins ;)

Ok so it is 10 mins.
Thanks @JamesO I'll check it out for sure.

I'm Finishing up ROP and A+A swing protocol, then going to take a bit of a unloading break during Xmas time, then spend a couple weeks of GPP, then jump into training double swings, cleans, press. I'm loving the ladders as well as the heavy swings through A+A swings.

I think i'm just mostly excited to have an event to train for.

I'm also looking at training for the TSC, but the long cycle and snatch is the focus come the new year.

Well yeah, firstly it should be ten minutes and secondly, biathlon should be 10 mins of Jerks and 10 mins of snatch ...you would either compete in just those two lifts (biathlon) or ONLY Long Cycle ...but not LC and snatch.

I would personally start with one arm long cycle (with a single bell) and work up to 10 minutes at a decent pace (10 rpm) with a decent bell (24kg) before thinking about double bells.

» Blog Archive » My Murphy-Proof One Arm Long Cycle Kettlebell Progression

This ^ is a great classic plan that will get you up to 10 mins. By then you will probably know what you need to do to start working with doubles.

10 minutes is a LONG time when you can't put the bell down - and you need to get used to it

There are multiple events in various Kettlebell sport organizations. Some have 5 minute events to make it more accessible to beginners. I compete in 10 minute long cycle, and do 5+ minute sets several times a week. I have some insight.

First, get to 5 minutes. You have two variables to manipulate here: weight and pace. If you are limited to the comp bells you have, then weight is settled. Pace is up for grabs. You'll need a test set or two to determine the pace at which you can go for the full 5 minutes.

Start at 4 rpm. Standing in front of a clock, make sure the bells are locked out at :15, :30, :45, and :00. You may do better dropping from the lockout directly into clean with a bounce off the chest, or you may prefer to drop them, clean them, then hold them until the halfway time between jerks. If holding the bells in the rack is your challenge, then clean halfway between jerks. If conditioning is the limiting factor, then complete an entire cycle (jerk and re-clean) and rest for the remainder of the time.

If you can make 5 minutes at 4rpm, then this is good. You will want to get comfortable at this this pace and time by hitting several sets a week. On alternate days, you can do sprint sets, say a couple of sets of 2 minutes at 5rpm. If you can't get 5m at this pace, then evaluate what you can do. Work up to 5 by breaking it into sections, like 3m, rest 1m, then 2m.

If you get comfortable with 5m at your base pace, you can start adding reps. You can either increase the pace through the entire set (5rpm) or you can alternate minutes. In minutes 1, 3, and 5 you can do 5-6 rpm, and return to 4 rpm during minutes 2 and 4 to give you a breather. Alternatively, you can front-load your set with a faster pace (but not too fast), and have the option to back off toward the end.

Good luck! I hope this helps!

As regards multiple events and organizations, this has been great for the sport. Several organizations have allowed competition and ranking in shorter events, or in unconventional events, like the single clean and jerk for men. As the sport grows, people enjoy having options and various points of entry.

This is awesome, thanks very much everyone for the insight!
You'll have to excuse my ignorance to the event. I have had a hell of a time finding exact info and have had to resort to calling and asking.....in this day and age I expect it to be in bold somewhere on the website, but alas no dice.

@aussieluke thanks for the link I will check it out. I totally agree and the gravtiy of 10 mins is not lost on me. And I am looking forward to the challenge and experience.

@Physical Culture you're pacing suggestions and waviness makes a tonne of sense. I really appreciate the break down. (btw "new book"?)

This is going to be my first comp so I'm not looking to break any records or anything. really just set a base line for next year. I have 7 months to prep so I'm confident that I'll be able to take the time that I need.

thanks again for your continued suggestions everyone.

Too many organizations, too many differing sets of rules. Blech...

-S-
OKC competition rules are mostly the same as everything else, just a different ranking table and they offer 5 minute events as a gateway drug, and two arm events for women.

WKC doesn't do events anymore, so for classic kettebell sport there's really only three organizations operating in north america. AKA, IKFF, and OKC. The main differences are just the ranking tables, and AKA doesn't have women's two-arm events because delicate breasts will explode or something.

As a small update if anyone is interested:
I have starting carrying a slightly heavier than comp bell in various positions for 10 mins (alternating between suit case and rack). I have noticed in my LC practice that just holding the extra weight is a different and the biggest challenge for me.
I have also started working the SALC focusing on pacing and working my duration of work longer and longer, getting closer to the full 10 mins.
Also keeping on swings/TGU and I am begrudgingly considering adding in running (I hate it so much), but I need something to help build my endurance. I am open to suggestions haha

Just to throw a curveball in there, I will be delpoying on one of our, Canadian Navy ships for two months prior to the event. I am civ. but will be providing fitness, health, wellness and morale while sailing. When I return the event will be two months away. Sea state will determine some of my practice but I intend on continuing with my carries and just getting comforatable under load for such a long time and focusing on endurance (cardiovacular/muscular) when I can.

Long cycle is tough. Staying with the weights for 10 minutes is a mental and physical challenge. Rack holds can help a lot, as can long sets of lighter, faster sets. Long cycle is more about work capacity than anything else, and doing lots of work with lighter weights can really pay off.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom