all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Long Cycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Physical Culture, I bought your book on amazon.com a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to read it yet - will try to do that soon.

@King Cobra Fit, have you tried an Olympic lifting shoe? The raised heel should allow you to rest in the rack with less effort, something that may not be much of an issue w/ a pair of 16's but that will likely rear its ugly head when the weight gets heavier. Nice going, btw!

-S-

@Steve Freides
have you tried an Olympic lifting shoe? The raised heel should allow you to rest in the rack with less effort, something that may not be much of an issue w/ a pair of 16's but that will likely rear its ugly head when the weight gets heavier. Nice going, btw!

I will def be looking into move into lifting shoes as I move up in weight. 20's are my goal for next year and any little help I can get in making the rack more restful will be advantageous. does anyone have any suggestions of brands?

@King Cobra Fit If you're on a budget then VS Athletics are a good choice. They have a higher heel than most - 1.5" vs. .75" for most OL shoes. When I bought mine I didn't know any better so I simply got used to the higher heel and had no problems. They also run slightly wide, which works well for me because I have a wide foot. They used to be ugly as h*ll and looked like bowling shoes but they came out with a better looking model in black and gray. The ugly doesn't bother me - I kind of like it actually as it gives them a no nonsense quality. I've used them for all my lifting and they have held up since 2009. Solid construction. The VS run around $90.

For a more traditional fit and .75" heel at a reasonable price try the Pendlay/Do-Win shoe sold by MDUSA. I've never tried these but the reviews have been good. They run around $120 but MDUSA is always having sales.

For more "elite" shoes you have your Nike Romaleos and Adidas for $200 and above. Never tried either but the reviews say that the Adidas shoes fit tight.

@King Cobra Fit I have not been training like I should have (combination of stress at work, back pain, and plain laziness on my part) so my goal is a very modest 50-60 reps. This is for the plain old clean and jerk, not LC. I'm also doing snatch, and one-arm jerk, so 3 lifts total. BOLT has 6 events: double snatch, double C&J, double LC, and then single KB versions of snatch, C&J, and LC. This is for both men and women, and a competitor can sign up for one or do all 6. Doing all 6 is called the "BOLT Ironman." I've seen a guy do all 6 and it looked brutal. Very little rest between events. I'm sure GS purists would scoff at this but I think it's a fun format.

Mike, I got certified by Nico Rithner back in 2011 when he was working out the BOLT format. He is a very gracious gentleman- picked me up at the Denver airport, put me up in his house, and put on a great weekend certification. His goal in BOLT is to expand the appeal of GS by eliminating the "special endurance" aspects that come along with GS: one hand switch in the snatch, and not being able to put the bell(s) down. BOLT is a lot like the SSST: 10 minutes to get as many reps as you can, with liberty to rest, switch hands, etc. Volume wins. I'm glad to see it taking off.

@Physical Culture I live in the Denver metro area and have met Nico at one of his meets. He does seem like a good guy. That's nice that he picked you up at the airport - never heard of anyone doing that before. You're right that the special endurance part of GS is the most brutal and eliminating it makes it more fun (still brutal). It's almost like a "mini-strongman" event: Here's your implement. Choose your weight. Go as light as you want, but heavier stuff gets you a "bonus" in scoring. Choose wisely. Pick it up, put it down. Repeat. Rest all you want, but you only have 10 minutes (sometimes only 5 minutes) to get as many reps as possible. Time your rest wisely. Now lift! Times up! Take a break. You've got more events to do (up to 5 more for the really ambitious).

@Physical Culture, on the road and I confess your book didn't make it into the suitcase. :). But it's at the top of the list for when I get home.

What does BOLT stand for? I'm curious because it's also used in the book I'm currently reading, although clearly for another purpose. That book is The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown.

-S-

I read once what BOLT stood for but now I forget the source. I think it is supposed to be based on an inspirational quote, something like Believe, Overcome, Learn, and Train. That's not it but something like it. Yeah, a bit cheesy but it doesn't take away from the competition itself and what I think is a great alternative to the traditional GS format.

@MikeTheBear You are correct sir! I received a reply from Nico Rithner.

It stands for:
Believe
Overcome
Lift
Triumph

When I put that together I was thinking of how BOLT strengthens ones character through patient practice. At times I disliked it so much I even thought of changing it. However, as years go by, I am more and more convinced it really fits the sport mission.

Nico Rithner

@Boosh32 I got 2 out of the 4 words. Funny that Nico has had second thoughts. "BOLT" is kind of a cool word so even if Nico no longer likes the acronym he can say it's called BOLT because unlike GS, a lifter can "bolt" his or her way through the lifts. BOLT rules say that lifters are allowed a minimum of 5 minutes between events. In a small meet, if a lifter wants to do all six lifts, they can potentially lift in every heat (all heats are separated by 5 minutes for logistical reasons). I've seen that happen to one guy. He was bolting his way through the meet. Pretty brutal.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom