all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Long Cycle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good stuff. I don't know what plan/program you are using, if at all, but that Scott Sonnon one arm long cycle progression I posted much earlier in this thread can also be used for double bells. i would personally continue with the 16s up to at least 100 solid reps in 10 minutes.

Ok, an update. I made my first full 10mins with my pair of 16k's.
I think I got about 49 reps. (filmed myself)
A few take homes that i learnt:
1-Absolutly "Breath and Relax" even more important than I thought
2-Faster pace is actually "easier". I was on about a 4/min pace for the first 6ish mins and then I picked it up to 6ish per min for the last few mins and it bacame a battle with conditioning rather than the rack position.
3-I recorded myself and I'm sure not all of my reps would have counted but at least i have a baseline for techn. and form.
4- for two mins after i was done I hated it......after that, I wanted to go again. haha
Anyway, I've got a ways to go but I'm very encouraged!

Great job, King Cobra! 10 minutes is a serious benchmark with any weight. I remember my first 10 minute set, though many have followed. It's so long you can't "fake" it, even with lighter weights. Relaxing is key. With GS, you have to force yourself to relax, which is counter- intuitive for most us. Relaxing under load is hard. If your work capacity is up for it, sometimes it is easier to lift than to rest. It just depends on your strong and weak areas.

Respect for great work!

Good stuff. I don't know what plan/program you are using, if at all, but that Scott Sonnon one arm long cycle progression I posted much earlier in this thread can also be used for double bells. i would personally continue with the 16s up to at least 100 solid reps in 10 minutes.

I second this. I have spent three years trying to get 60 reps with 2x24k, and remained stalled out in the 40's (I got 50, once). I finally wised up and went back to the 12k's and worked up to 120 reps. Then I worked up to 100 reps in 10m with the 16k's. Now I'm working with the 18k's, and hit 70 reps on Monday. I plan to hit triple digits with each weight before progressing. I'm having none of the aches and pains I had when working with the 24k's, but my workloads are much higher, and my set times are longer. By the time I work back up to the 24k's, I'll be ready. Moving up in weight too soon is a mistake.

@aussieluke @Physical Culture
Thats a great suggestion. I will def work towards that. It was such a relief to make it 10 mins, it feels like another door has opened for me to evolve my training/practice.
I plan on working longer and longer work intervals focusing on pace and form. I'm going to play with OALC and doubles, as well as jerks and cleans on their own.

Does anyone have any suggestions for accessory work. squats, deadlifts, presses, pushups, pullups? I am going to keep working on my pistol squats and OAPU (I call them "Piston" pushups).

Assuming your technique could be improved you could work on specific phases of the lift such as cleans, rack holds, overhead holds, bumps.
There is a very detailed DVD series by Denis Kanygin about all three lifts you might want to check out.

It's a classic methodology in GS training to start with a weight you can get 4-6 minutes with, work up to 10 minutes, then increase the pace, and only then move up in weight. You really want to "own" a GS weight before going heavier, at least based on both my own experience and what I've heard GS coaches recommend.

-S-

This is great advice. As I have been focusing on c&j, jerks, and the snatch lately I find I may have went from the 16's to the 20's too fast. I certainly can't say I "own" the 16's when it comes to 10 minutes of snatch or jerks!! Great insight Steve!

@PhysicalCulture - I have had periods of training long cycle exclusively in the past (HS, more than GS) and may go back to it, but with a mindset of S & S - I think I pushed myself too hard too often, before. I like daily training and pushing myself daily was just not fun - or working.

A bit of a Men's Health question, for which I apologise, but what physique changes have you noticed? How about abs/core?

Congratulations on your progress, too. I think we all ought to experience long cycle training, it builds character!

Hey,

I’m currently doing the Dan John’s 10000 swings challenge. It’s sound pretty efficient to me for the moment. Then, on a GTG base, I'm working out OA chin ups, OAOL pushups and pistols.

Before that, I did for a long time S&S every day, plus some C&P and snatches.

After Dan John’s, I’d like to set up the following program (I used a “total weekly package” template to build it):

Monday:
Weighted pull ups 3 x (1,2,3)
Pistol squats 3 x (1,2,3)
TGU 3 x (1,2,3)
OAOL pushups 3 x (1,2,3)

Tuesday:
500 swings (as in D. John’s challenge)

Wednesday:

Flexibility / mobility (S. Sonnon, I. Portal)

Thursday = Monday

Friday = tuesday

Saturday:

Sunday:
Off

Does it sound “complete” – meaning well balanced in terms of strength and cardio / endurance ? Is the recovery period ok ? I am looking for a good “general preparation” above all.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey,

I’m currently doing the Dan John’s 10000 swings challenge. It’s sound pretty efficient to me for the moment. Then, on a GTG base, I'm working out OA chin ups, OAOL pushups and pistols.

Before that, I did for a long time S&S every day, plus some C&P and snatches.

After Dan John’s, I’d like to set up the following program (I used a “total weekly package” template to build it):

Monday:
Weighted pull ups 3 x (1,2,3)
Pistol squats 3 x (1,2,3)
TGU 3 x (1,2,3)
OAOL pushups 3 x (1,2,3)

Tuesday:
500 swings (as in D. John’s challenge)

Wednesday:

Thursday = Monday

Friday = tuesday

Saturday:

Sunday:
Off

Does it sound “complete” – meaning well balanced in terms of strength and cardio / endurance ? Is the recovery period ok ? I am looking for a good “general preparation” above all.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Pet'

You might get more response by posting this as a separate thread. The bodyweight forum might also be a good place, since you have a lot of bodyweight stuff in this routine.

Hey everyone, Just an update. I was able to fit in my first full practice of OALC today and it was great. The first few days of this sail were far too rough to get anything serious done but the seas have calmed and the flight deck is beautiful! got a practice at a 10/min pace for intervals of 2 min with the 16 and it was good, grip fatigue was my limiting factor but "Cardio" was fine. was going to get in a few hundred swings but the ship went to flying stations and had to cut it short. was nice just to get them in. And like a nerd i set up my tripod and camera to tape the sets......and the nothing but sky and ocean behind me ;)
my mind set has been to get my pace up and get lots of reps with the lighter of my bells (16k) before adding too many sessions with the heavier bell (26K). and swings at even a small sea state are very interesting, many more forces acting on the bell than straight up gravity. good times though.

Well its been almost 7 weeks at sea and here are a few things I've learn wrt training for long cycle on a Navy ship.
1. Long cycle in any sort of sea state is extremly difficult (haha)
2. as much as i hate it, running has become my new "suck factor"
3. running on a treadmill on a moving ship = constant up hill, down hill while maintaining the same speed (see suck factor #2)
4. lots of accessory work (ie. Pushups, squats, swings, DL) are an easy fall back in "long cycle unfriendly sea states"
5. There's nothing quite like blasting out 20 mins of OALC on the back of a war ship in the middle of the ocean by the equator!
I'm looking forward to getting back to land in a few weeks and checking in to see where all of the practice that i've done here has put me compared to when i left.

Good work, Cobra. I remember in one of Pavel's books, (perhaps the original RKC) he refers to kettlebells on Russian naval subs. I imagine when you get back to solid ground you'll see some great progress.

Well its been almost 7 weeks at sea and here are a few things I've learn wrt training for long cycle on a Navy ship.
1. Long cycle in any sort of sea state is extremly difficult (haha)
2. as much as i hate it, running has become my new "suck factor"
3. running on a treadmill on a moving ship = constant up hill, down hill while maintaining the same speed (see suck factor #2)
4. lots of accessory work (ie. Pushups, squats, swings, DL) are an easy fall back in "long cycle unfriendly sea states"
5. There's nothing quite like blasting out 20 mins of OALC on the back of a war ship in the middle of the ocean by the equator!
I'm looking forward to getting back to land in a few weeks and checking in to see where all of the practice that i've done here has put me compared to when i left.

Are you on the back of the ship because the sea state was so terrible they closed the gym? =D
I feel your pain about the treadmills and the sea state, although its amusing to watch folks "bench" at just the right time...
I may pick your brain (if its ok with you) one day in the future about Long Cycle. Good job, good luck, and hopefully the bell(s) aren't rusting too bad in the sea air.
Stay safe, fair winds and following seas.

Not posted but read a lot of this thread ,first respect for your service second thanks for the updates on your long cycle progression , I am considering progressing to a point where I can compete in GS sport
Granted it will be in the broken down old wreck class ,but competition is competition
LOL

It's a classic methodology in GS training to start with a weight you can get 4-6 minutes with, work up to 10 minutes, then increase the pace, and only then move up in weight. You really want to "own" a GS weight before going heavier, at least based on both my own experience and what I've heard GS coaches recommend.

-S-

True. Way back (like 2003-2005) some of us tried half-heartedly to get KB sport going in the US. Didn't really work too well until Valery Federenko took over. Anyway, back then I was one of those interested in the sport and I competed in a meet. I trained using a "top down" approach meaning I focused a lot on developing strength and practicing with the weight I wanted to use. Did it work? Sort of. Fast forward to today and after dealing with a back injury that will not go away I have taken a break from Olympic lifting to focus on KB sport. This time I'm going "bottom up" which means I'm focusing on getting more reps with lighter KBs. So far this seems to work better. I still do some strength work as assistance work. I also do more "traditional cardio." But getting the reps in is crucial. I've learned to pace myself. Start small, like 6 reps per minute, then move to 10 rpm. 10 rpm is a nice pace for many lifts - gets you breathing hard but not gasping. On competition day, given the competitive atmosphere I was able to crank that up to 14 rpm for a 5 minute set (this was BOLT meet which has both 5 and 10 minute sets with multiple hand switches allowed).

Are you on the back of the ship because the sea state was so terrible they closed the gym? =D
I feel your pain about the treadmills and the sea state, although its amusing to watch folks "bench" at just the right time...
I may pick your brain (if its ok with you) one day in the future about Long Cycle. Good job, good luck, and hopefully the bell(s) aren't rusting too bad in the sea air.

I'm on the back of the ship (flgiht deck) cause thats really the only place i can put my arms overhead haha, the gym in more of a closet on this ship than a gym. haha
Feel free to pick away, I'm training for my first comp, but between here, other people whom i've spoken with and the coach that i was and will be working with back home, i'm feeling really good about the movement and training.

And the handles of my Comp bells require a sanding almost daily due to rust, they came on looking brand new and now they look 10 yrs old. at least they're just balls of steel and look doesn't effect function haha.

Too bad i didn't post this earlier, we were just in Chile a couple of weeks ago.....

Fossil - I've really enjoyed the LC practice and it is much easier on the body than i had expected.

Well it sure is nice to train on land! haha
A few changes that i have noticed between before i left and now that i'm back.
#1 I can do more push-ups (i'm sure purely from doing many more pushups than before i left)
#2 I can do a pistol on my "less strong" leg, i was close before i left but couldn't quite do it. A WTH effect of sailing, i wasn't training pistols or even doing that many squats(?)
#3 It is so much easier training for TALC on land and almost as fun.
I haven't tried a 10 min set since i've been back. that is on the sched for this week.

Here is a quick look at my plan for the next (just under) 7 weeks.
Sunday - technique and skill (with coach)
Monday - OALC Conditioning + Accessory work
Tuesday - Conditioning and mobility
Wednesday - Accessory work + Skill practice (light Long cycle practice)
Thursday - Rest and mobility
Friday - TALC Conditioning (or test day)
Saturday - Varability day

The comp is May 28th! Time for the big push to the finish. "Embrace the Suck", "Breath and relax" (@Physical Culture thanks for that one, it actually helps a bunch)
Any suggestions?
(i'm competeing with the 16k bells, this being my first ever comp)

Well it sure is nice to train on land! haha
A few changes that i have noticed between before i left and now that i'm back.
#1 I can do more push-ups (i'm sure purely from doing many more pushups than before i left)
#2 I can do a pistol on my "less strong" leg, i was close before i left but couldn't quite do it. A WTH effect of sailing, i wasn't training pistols or even doing that many squats(?)
#3 It is so much easier training for TALC on land and almost as fun.
I haven't tried a 10 min set since i've been back. that is on the sched for this week.

Here is a quick look at my plan for the next (just under) 7 weeks.
Sunday - technique and skill (with coach)
Monday - OALC Conditioning + Accessory work
Tuesday - Conditioning and mobility
Wednesday - Accessory work + Skill practice (light Long cycle practice)
Thursday - Rest and mobility
Friday - TALC Conditioning (or test day)
Saturday - Varability day

The comp is May 28th! Time for the big push to the finish. "Embrace the Suck", "Breath and relax" (@Physical Culture thanks for that one, it actually helps a bunch)
Any suggestions?
(i'm competeing with the 16k bells, this being my first ever comp)

Welcome back to dry ground. My advice is simply to let the process work. Consistent training, good nutrition, rest, and a great attitude go a long way. Learn to relax under the load, and to master the voices in your head. I just finished my eighth consecutive 10 minute set of long cycle (60 reps with 2x20k) in this cycle. It really is more mental than physical, once the physical dynamics are in place.

Wow, reading back through to my first post....ignorance reins on my part wrt Kettle Bell Sport haha but i've come a long way in a few months.
Got my first full 10 mins with my 16's since i got home (I took a vidoe and will up load it this weekend if i can) 3rd one all time. it was tough but with @Physical Culture 's tips
relax under the load, and to master the voices in your head
. And that is what i did, it wasn't easy by any stretch but manageable for sure.
I followed the 10 mins up with 21 mins of OALC switching every 3 mins and 1.5 mins on the last three mins. that was also quite tough but made it though.

As an additional comment, I'm not a swimmer however i do the smallest amount of lifeguarding for my job so it's time to re-cert so i've started swimming a bit more, and wow, great conditioning and complementary movement to the Long Cycle.

All and all i feel like i'm on track for a good showing at my first Comp May 28th.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom