all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Mile Again

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Another round today with the 24kg in 19 minutes. We figured that we’ll keep to brisk walking until we’re under 15 minutes then try some jogging 400’s. That should get us to a sustainable mile jog by the end of the summer.

Something different yesterday am.
On the 5;00, and through the nose, .25 mile walk with 24, then jog a .25 without, jog .25 with, jog .25 without 2 rounds, then walk with , jog without. So, 2 miles total, 1 with the bell. Walk with bell in around 3:50, jog with bell around 2;40, jogs without a bit over 2:00.

Well crap now I want to try this. I enjoyed the article and I agree that we were "born to carry."

Tried this wee challenge again this evening with a 24kg. I was feeling fresh and ready for the challenge. With my previous attempt I thought I had identified my weaknesses. Namely grip strength and then the additional burden/physical effort required to keep the bell on the move to make the pain go somewhere else slowing my pace .
My solution, go hard, go fast from the off. Turns out this method also has its disadvantages as I returned a time of 13.07 in comparison to 15.55 with the 32kg.
I am disappointed with this, especially with the way I felt physically afterwards, which was well spent. Grip strength wasn't such an issue this time, my heart and lungs limited me this time.
Holding the bell was ok but my pace just kept slowing as my heart beat faster and my lungs felt like they were about to explode through my chest, all whilst being a sweat and snot covered mess.
By end I was virtually walking.
A positive is I'll be doing this again with the 24, this time though I'm going to pace myself with the aim of getting under 13 minutes and a stretch target of 12.30 or under. I think I have it in me. As I said previously, what a great challenge, I love it and I'm not sure why. Something raw and honest about it with no hiding place.

This afternoon, 1:47p, Hormesis Farmers Carry, 4000m shuttle, #26, switch hands every 100m, temp. 113 F. 40:04.
As per Huberman Lab #19, I kept a small cold gel pack in both side pockets of shorts, every now and then would hold a pack in non-working hand, and sometimes apply pack to face.
Works like magic.

This afternoon, 1:47p, Hormesis Farmers Carry, 4000m shuttle, #26, switch hands every 100m, temp. 113 F. 40:04.
As per Huberman Lab #19, I kept a small cold gel pack in both side pockets of shorts, every now and then would hold a pack in non-working hand, and sometimes apply pack to face.
Works like magic.
I'd like to say "good job" but I have no idea what some of these words mean. What is a "Hormesis Farmers Carry?"

This am, 8:04a,97 F temp, KB mile 24kg, different format, roughly :30 sec jog 30 sec walk for duration.
Jog 40 steps, switch hands, jog 40 more, switch hands, walk 30 steps, switch hands, walk 30 more. Repeat. Last bit was 40/40/40/40 jog.
Time of 11:33.

As a test, I did a half-mile with 24kg at a regular walking pace to maintain my form. To ensure equal work on both sides, I switched sides every 20 steps. It really lit up my forearm and grip.

I like this and will incorporate it into my program.

I did a slightly modified version of this. I wanted to get about 30 minutes in, and not worry about how quickly I could finish a mile, so I grabbed a 12kg instead of a 24kg and threw on a 30 lb ruck bag. I didn't run at all, and my pace was 16:17/mile for the loop back to my house, which totalled 1.74 miles in 28:27. I don't know how you guys are running with a 24kg bell in your hands, that is impressive. This wasn't terribly hard, I just switched hands about every minute to 1 1/2 minutes, but even with a 12kg bell my forearms got some good work in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom