all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Mile Again

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mprevost

Level 7 Valued Member
I don't know why I enjoy this little workout so much but I do. There is a 1/4 mile sidewalk track behind my gym. After my workouts, I grab a kettlebell and run a mile as fast as I can. I have been focusing on lighter bells mainly. I managed 8:15 with a 24 pound bell recently. Decided to go for the "official" kettlebell mile with a 24 kg and managed 9:45. That was my goal (under 10). Not bad at 53 years old. I think I can go faster. I have some thoughts on training for this that I may share later. I have tried two different methods so far.

I don't know why I enjoy this little workout so much but I do. There is a 1/4 mile sidewalk track behind my gym. After my workouts, I grab a kettlebell and run a mile as fast as I can. I have been focusing on lighter bells mainly. I managed 8:15 with a 24 pound bell recently. Decided to go for the "official" kettlebell mile with a 24 kg and managed 9:45. That was my goal (under 10). Not bad at 53 years old. I think I can go faster. I have some thoughts on training for this that I may share later. I have tried two different methods so far.
How do you hold the bell?

-S-

-S-
This looks awesome

I'm still working on a walk with it. Carried the 10kg the other night, set it down halfway out, and picked it up on the way back for total carry of half of my one mile walk. I'll try the whole mile tonight. Not inclined to run with it though.

This am, one mile with a 24 heat check. Jog a .25 with a 24, set down and jog .25, repeat. 10:06.
A sub 10 with a 24 will take some focus.
Side note: If a person has their snatch form down, and they can jog a mile with their snatch size bell for a decent time, they will be able to smash a 5 min. snatch test without snatching. My guess.

Nice work again. I did walk a full mile with my 10kg the other night, but I can't yet imagine running with it.

So embarrasing! Though the track at my gym is market at 1/4 mile and the gym employees assured me that it was measured at 1/4 mile, it is not. My times just seemed too fast so I had to verify. I measured it today with my 100 foot tape measure. It's 1/5 mile. Dang. All of my times need to be adjusted up by 5/4 plus a bit. Oh well. I don't think I can attain a sub 10 minute mile with a 24K ever. Sub 12 is doable and maybe even sub 11 one day. Something to shoot for.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom