all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Mile Again

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Something different this afternoon. All walking, 108 F.
Slam Ball ( #20 ) 5K, Start with 300m with ball at hip and then on shoulder, then go extended overhead in one hand for a total of 1600m, switch hands every 100m. Then another 50m right hip,50m left hip,100m r.shoulder,100m left shoulder, then waiter carry for 2000m, switch every 100m . Finish with ball at side or shoulder switching every 100m. 50:13.

Slam Ball ( #20 ) 5K, Start with 300m with ball at hip and then on shoulder, then go extended overhead in one hand for a total of 1600m, switch hands every 100m. Then another 50m right hip,50m left hip,100m r.shoulder,100m left shoulder, then waiter carry for 2000m, switch every 100m . Finish with ball at side or shoulder switching every 100m. 50:13.

You're on a different level than me, that's for sure. If I see 90 F on the temperature, I'm sitting in front of an A/C and not moving let alone seeing 108 and deciding that is a good time to carry a slam ball for 5k! That's unreal!

You're on a different level than me, that's for sure. If I see 90 F on the temperature, I'm sitting in front of an A/C and not moving let alone seeing 108 and deciding that is a good time to carry a slam ball for 5k! That's unreal!
Well Shawn, the plan was a couple of miles of walking for a bit of heat stress, and a nice afternoon mental boost. Saw the slam ball sitting by my bells and one thing lead to another.

Last edited:
Results: around 19 minutes (19:17) without breaks or stopping. The first half i walked pretty slow thinking i would take it easy the first time out.... Then my grip started to fail around .5, and i said “WTH was i thinking!?” I then started running. Was pretty pleased with my grip holding up though, was a little scared of the 24k
Was running late for work and still wanted to get something in so i grabbed my 55# and started chugging along. I only live two blocks away so i just went .5 in the wrong direction and back. Was also wearing my backpack and handy dandy fanny pack, so I’m sure i looked like a genuine crazy person running down the streets of Chicago during everyones morning commute.
Worked out pretty well though. 13:45 total. I don’t think i could muster much more speed, but i am in marathon training and have already logged 30 miles this week, so my legs were pretty sore. Love this challenge though.
1626368761530.png

I've done a few StrongFirst programs now, biggest achievement is Timed Simple. If I'm brutally honest, I've never truly felt the "what the hell effect" I think I have, but not 100%. I've been doing this wee challenge once a week faithfully now, I can fully attest to experiencing the WTH effect now. For my work I have noticed a marked increase in my grip and fore arm strength. I genuinely put it down to this challenge. No idea why, but every time I finish it, I am spent, but absolutely love the physical feeling you are left with. Different feeling from anything else I've ever done.

Don, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you located? I’m just back from several days in Palm Springs, California, having competed at the USPA nationals, and the temperatures there were between 105 and 110 every day. The thought of outdoor exercise in those temperatures is, well, not some thing that gets me excited.

-S-

Don, if you don’t mind me asking, where are you located? I’m just back from several days in Palm Springs, California, having competed at the USPA nationals, and the temperatures there were between 105 and 110 every day. The thought of outdoor exercise in those temperatures is, well, not some thing that gets me excited.

-S-
Phoenix. And I " summer " in, Phoenix.

The last time I was in Phoenix was 30 years ago but I remember it as being similar weather to Palm Springs. I had never seen those outdoor misting setups before.

-S-
Surprisingly effective. A StongFirst floppy hat with a misting system would be excellent. I wonder how heavy a 30-40 min. supply of water for the unit would be ?

Scratch that. What was I thinking, StrongFirst does not do misting. Floppy hat would be cool.
I have my own logo and can slap that on a hat, but the SF logo is one of the best I've seen, and for what it represents.

Last edited:
Surprisingly effective. A StongFirst floppy hat with a misting system would be excellent. I wonder how heavy a 30-40 min. supply of water for the unit would be ?

Scratch that. What was I thinking, StrongFirst does not do misting. Floppy hat would be cool.
I have my own logo and can slap that on a hat, but the SF logo is one of the best I've seen, and for what it represents.
I can't decide if a SF boonie would be AWESOME or a bit too much.

I have been doing this challenge as I enjoy it so much for some reason. I've been doing it with a single 24. Not even been recording my times lately, just getting it done as fast as I can go is my only aim, keeps it simple and fresh which I like. Today though I was presented with the opportunity of two 14kg bells and couldn't resist the mile challenge. Oh my, the two bells certainly creates a different dimension. Much more difficult considering only 4kg extra. I think not having the opportunity to change arms pushes the challenge up a notch. I never put the bells down, but I certainly had to pause on more than one occasion.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom