all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell military press and dips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

adidiii

Level 4 Valued Member
I love to do weighted dips, I feel that nothing works better on my chest and they were a major part of my training program. but I would now like to improve my one hand kettelbell press. how could I combine these two movements in one program (in military press i want to increas my 1 RM and in dips i want to pecs grow)? besides them, I would like to be included in it pulls and squats with a barbell.

Last edited:
adidiii,

Try the ROP (Rite of Passage) program by Pavel from Enter the Kettlebell. It's heavy on "clean & presses" and pull ups ladder style. 1 C&J Right, 1 C&J Left, 1 Pull up, 2 C&J Right...etc. Though I believe reading somewhere that if you want to focus on something other than pull-ups (Like dips) substitute the pull-ups for dips. As far as isolating your chest to make it grow...you're probably best off with chest isolation exercises.
Hope this helps
-WF

I'm not SFG certified, but I think dips would not be good to substitute for pullups. Dips are another pressing move, and ROP is all about the overhead press already. There would seem to me to be a LOT of interference in the program if you are adding weighted dips to it, (other than a few non-fatiguing practice type reps during warmup, which still would seem not very valuable when you are already using pressing muscles so much).

One arm Press on mondays and fridays and do dips on wednesday, keep reps a little higher on dips if you are doing them purely for hypertrophy. People combine barbell press and bench on a MWF split, don't see why you can't make progress combining dips and one arm press.

@jca17
I stand corrected, after using my google-fu, you are right about C&P and dips on the same day. Though I have found that using one's variety days during the ROP to GTG on movements such as dips, OAPU, & pistols is encouraged while keeping the intensity low.

Hey,

I think that to build a strong arm, for example, it is necessary to work antagonist moves. That way, you can do dips (weighted or not) and pull ups (weighted or not).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

In addition to strength, muscle mass is also a matter of diete. You can reach stagnation with presses or whatever (in termes of mass, number of sets / reps) and suddenly progress, only by changing your diet. I say that from my own experience with a former training based on pull ups / push ups / loaded squats / abs (hanging leg raises + janda sit ups)

Kind regards,

Pet'

these are my goals: 1. increase muscle mass of my chest (in my opinion, dips are the best pecs builder) 2. improve my kettlebell military press 3. increase my max rep in pull ups 4. more weight in squat.

Last edited:
these are my goals: 1. increase muscle mass of my chest (in my opinion, dips are the best pecs builder) 2. improve my kettlebell military press 3. increase my max rep in pull ups 4. more weight in squat.

current height and weight?
curent bell you are pressing? how many reps?
how many strict pullups can you do?

height:175cm weight: 75 kg
I'm pressing 24kg on my trainings, I did 5 ladders 1,2,3,4,5 with this weight, but my RM is 30 kg, 32 is still some missing.
I could do 17 strict pull ups, but it was a few months ago, today I can do probably 18 mayby 19.
P.S. I need to do 20 pull ups (test to the army) but I reached a plateau in pull ups, I can't beat 19 reps

If you are focusing on your military pullup requirements, the fighter pullup program works...

What do you think about this approach in my workout: heavy weighted dips twice or three times a week and kettlebell military press in GTG style (maybe not daily but ,for example, 4 time per week). And additionaly fighters pull ups and squat twice per week?

Last edited:
What do you think about this approach in my workout: heavy weighted dips twice or three times a week and kettlebell military press in GTG style (maybe not daily but ,for example, 4 time per week). And additionaly fighters pull ups and squat twice per week?
I think your shoulders might have other plans.

I personally would not mix both in the same cycles.

Either do Pressing for a cycle or dips. Alternate based on goals. Too much too soon on shoulders is a bad idea.

So, what about this idea: I will followed ROP but instead light day I will do dips with higher rep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom