all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Movement Substitutes for Fabio's Hypertrophy Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tashfeen

Level 1 Valued Member
Few years back, Fabio discussed his hypertrophy program -> If It Flies Right, It Looks Right: My Journey to a Bodybuilding Competition | StrongFirst

I am hoping to give his program a try but all with KBs. He mentions near the end of the post here that the program can be done with just KB-> Forging a New Path to “Functional” Hypertrophy | StrongFirst

I wanted to see if anyone has tried it and seen results with an only KB approach and what are the best substitutes.

Mainly, what are the recommended substitutes for barbell moves (deadlift, bench press, and squat)? On his plan, there is a main lift and variety lift on the same day focused on the same movement pattern such as hip hinge which translates into deadlift as the main lift followed by either a Romanian deadlift or swing.

This is I guess what I am thinking as substitutes with the variety lift

Hip Hinge
Main lift: Romanian deadlift
Specialized Variety: Swing

Horizontal Press
Main Lift: KB/DB Bench press
Specialized Variety: Dip

Squat
Main Lift: Double KB front squat
Specialized Variety: Double KB front squat or Goblet squat

Horizontal Pull
Main Lift: One-arm row
Specialized Variety: Renegade Row

Thanks!

Quick update.

After thinking a little more little more, here is the substitutes I am look at.

Hip Hinge
Main lift: Single leg deadlift
Specialized Variety: Romanian deadlift or Swing

Horizontal Press

Squat
Main Lift: Split leg left suitcase squat

Horizontal Pull

Completed first session. Will keep you posted on progress.

I think your substitutions are sensible.

The challenge will come with lower body loading and what you do when kettlebells become too light for your legs, glutes, and hams. It gets trickier to progress with KB only, at that point.

Lots of volume and short rest periods will be necessary to keep driving hypertrophy.

Example: My usual RDL set with barbells is 8-12 reps @ 100 kg. Duplicating that tonnage with KBs is tricky without running into issues with bell size and / or grip giving out before lower body.

Last edited:
Quick update.

After thinking a little more little more, here is the substitutes I am look at.

Hip Hinge

Horizontal Press

Squat

Horizontal Pull

Completed first session. Will keep you posted on progress.

Hi,

Hip Hinge

I think they are a good fit, at least for the single-leg deadlift and the Romanian deadlift.
Even though in my original article listed the swing, with hindsight I would not do it today. Being a ballistic movement with no negative It's not the best choice for a hypertrophy program. I'd rather keep it on alternate days for conditioning/bodyfat control.

Horizontal Press

I like it!

Squat

I think with "Split leg left suitcase squat" you mean Bulgarian Squat. I like it. Also the pistol is a very good one, I used it with great success during the lockdown. I like Double KB front squat or Goblet squat as specialized variety. The problem with using kettlebells for the lower body is that if one is strong a pair of 48 might not be enough for a double kettlebell front squat.

Horizontal Pull

Those are good fits. Also double kettlebell row while standing on a box is a good choice for main lift.

I hope I was helpful.

Fabio,

Thanks for your response. That is very helpful!

Thanks for the heads up on swapping out swings for Romanian deadlift. What do you think about step forward lunge with DB KB in suitcase for the squat specialized variety? I am on the lighter side at 120 lbs so the higher weight KBs maybe good enough in the short term.

You also answered my next question of what to do on days off! Any particular swing protocol you recommend? Seems like the focus should be on conditioning.

Thanks for putting this together and sharing your experience. I look forward to an in-person training session when things open up. In the meantime, your program is a life saver!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom