all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell Muscle--Any experience with this?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks Brian, appreciate the feedback. I'll get a copy if and when I see a sensible price for it. For now, Total Tension Complex is serving me reasonably well and I have MKM, ROTK and Shock & Awe.

Kevin, apologies for diverting the thread.

Faisal,

KB Muscle stands out to me among Geoff's programs.

I LOVE the fact that the rest periods are specified, but the time for the work sets is not. This allows for total technical focus when doing each set since you never have a feeling of racing the clock (which I always feel when work time is specified or when work time eats into rest time).

I LOVE the fact that there is absolutely  no decision-making involved in the program besides deciding to do it in the first place and selecting which size bells to use. You just show up and do the work.

I LOVE the overall balance of the exercise selection, and the length and difficulty  of the workouts. The sessions are relatively short, and relatively easy  to recover from, but also challenging to do and fairly complete (you don't really NEED to do any supplementary work).

That being said, the whole program could fit on basically one side of a sheet of paper. The rest of the book is background explanation, exercise descriptions and technique tips, none of which is really essential or unique (Kettlebell Strong is much deeper on technique instruction).

At list price, it was definitely worth it for me. Even though MKM is nominally a better value based on getting a ton of programs in one package, I actually consider KB Muscle a better value FOR ME because I like the specific program so much.

Maybe you could contact Geoff directly and he might figure out a way to hook you up. It certainly couldn't hurt to ask.

Steve, thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed response, I had just talked myself out of the purchase and you have swayed me again ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will drop Geoff an email.

I am a martial artist and want to include kettlebells to my trainingroutine to get stronger.

What is the difference between Kb Muscle and Kb Strong? I know that with kettlebell strong I use only one exercises, clean and presses. Is Kb muscle a sort of same routine or does it have circuits etc?

And would that be a good combination for martial artist? I mean, does it leave enough time to train martial arts to 3 times a week orso? And is i t a complete rouine or just to get stronger/

I like a combination to work on my strength, endurance and a little bit of fat burning.

Hope I can get some advice

Hi Wim,
I would say it would be tough to do Kettlebell Muscle and do 3 martial Arts workouts a week. In the book, it is recommended that you only do light recovery on the off days and from personal experience, that is right on. In the second 6 weeks, the program gets pretty brutal and if your doing other workouts, you won't get the recovery you need to stay with the program.

Hello Jim, thanks for reacting. Do you think Kb Strong would be a beter alternative?

I just ask because in the simpelst form it only has one exercise, the double clean and press and sometimes I think its not that much, so I do 3 sets off 5 double front squats after it and some pull-ups, push-ups.

But maybay you have other examples witch are better, the main purpose is to get stronger, looking more athletic, not just because off the looks but I think when you are in good shape, no fat etc I mean, its much easyer to train martila arts.

Right now I only have two kettlebells (20 and 24 kilo, so different sizes, I try to switch), a pull-up bar and a dipstation and off course a heavy bag to kick and punch.

Any input would be great, I am now in reasanable shape, 1,87, weight about 87 kilo, so I am not to fat or to skinny. Hope you have some suggestions.

Wim, are you trying to decide between KB Strong and KB Muscle or considering other options too? Sounds like you have quite generic goals. How experienced are you with kettlbells? Both of these programs are double KBs. KB Strong is detailed instruction on doubles with an excellent program. KB Muscle is focused on gaining muscle.

Wouldn't S&S be a better fit for your needs? It's designed to leave gas in you for other activities, martial arts practice in your case.

Hello Faisal, I am open to any option that I can do with the things I have. So if you have more suggestions, feel free ;-)

I have a little bit of genetic goals, the main thing is that I want to get stronger and looking defined because I think thats neccasary to train martial arts. For example, Bruce Lee was not looking like a bodybuilding but he had no fat and his muscles are still showing and I think thats what a martial artist must look for. Not to do heavy deadlifts, squats etc. but getting stronger in a simple way.

I have done Kb strong programm for a few months, the clean and press, but as I said, I feel that its only one exercises and I think thats not enough for my goals.

I have read a bit about  S & S but as I understand there is a lott off TGU's in it. I have had a surregery on my knees 2 years ago and I can do a lott with it but TGU is still very hard to do.

So I am open for any suggestions if you have some.

"Kettlebell  Muscle" is an awesome program that can have carry over to any endeavor but speaking from experience, if you are doing other activities that are strenuous, you'll overtrain and derail your results.

Wim, if you're doing clean and presses, I think they could easily meet your requirements for martial arts.

When Im not doing complex workouts I do a lot of workouts focused on C&Ps and I feel they cover most bases need for fitness and sports.  They combine a push and a pull, they can be done with short rests increasing conditioning, they can be done heavily for strength gains, a combo of the two for hypertrophy, etc.

As a 2nd degree Black Belt in Enshin karate I have to agree with John. KB Strong works perfect with Martial Arts. Don't think you have to be like someone else. I rate my programming on how I feel. When I was on ROP I felt a bit zapped at the dojo. Doing KB Strong I feel full of energy and very strong. Use what is BEST for YOU! Bruce Lee preached that more than anything.

Thanks guys! Mike, maybay I think that I have to do much more then that (clean & press I mean), But I have to be honest, when I did that workout I felt great and strong to. But then I read on a different forum that you have to do heavy benches, squats, deadlifts etc, so the I got confused again and start soemthing new.

I think I will goe back to Kb strong, I dont have the whole book, so I only do the one routine I think its called. I do it with the clean and press. Did or do you do other exercises when you do the Kb strong or just one exercise and thats all?

@Wim Lokate

When I did KB Strong I only did the Clean and Press 3x a week but in my warm up I would do 1-2 TGU's per side and maybe  a few sets of swings (1x10,3x5) with the 2x24kg.

My free training days were either at the Dojo or working the heavy bag in my backyard.

thanks mike, did you do the whole programm (at the end you have to do 10 x 5 or 10 x 6 reps)?

and what are the results? you said you felt stronger but have you see/noticed other results?

Wim, I don't think it's very of you to try and find out the program of KB Strong. You should buy the book and DVD and find out what it sets out, the instructions are brilliant and well worth the money. It comes with a number of programs and suggestions of exercises.

Wim,

I am a Nidan in Uechi Ryu Karate and I started KB Muscle--it will significantly impact training. You don't think you are taxed as you are until you head to class. I would 100% take the suggestions of these guys (not that you weren't going to consider them) as they truly know what they are talking about. Have fun with the training and finding an enjoyable balance!

Thanks guys, I will buy the book but I just wanted some more information, espaccialy because I want to combine it with my martial arts training. And Kevin, someone says that Kb muscle is to taxing and you need rest days. How do you feel about that because you train martial arts to. Is that a good combination?

Personally I'm a fan of both Kettlebell Muscle and also Neupert's Kettlebell Strong programs. You really can't go wrong either way.

okay thanks. but what about the rest days? as someone said in this thread that you need the rest days.

Wim, in order to really get the full effect of kettlebell muscle you do need the rest days in between sessions.  The sessions are somewhat draining and you really won't want to train on the off days if done correctly.  Don't take my word for it, try it and you'll see.  The first week is not bad, but as the weeks go on and more rounds are added followed by the reduced rest periods, you ll understand what I mean.   Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll need more work, believe me you'll get strength gains, hypertrophy and conditioning from the program in a short time!

Hello John, I do believe you but do you talk about Kb muscle now?

And that would mean that I have to stopp martial arts training for awhile?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom