all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell muscle or kettlebell strong for mma

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lokate

Level 4 Valued Member
I am a martial artist. Practice martial arts for about 40 years now.
I want to get stronger/leaner and i have read good stuff about both programms.
It only seems that when you do kettlebell muscle you dont must do other kind or training because it is demanding.
Is this True?
I have read that both programms are short so i can do them when i dont have to train martial arts. I dont compete i try to focus on real confrontations and of course i want to stay in good shape for that.
I have tried simple and sinister but find it to boring to be honest.

If S&S is boring, STRONG will probably be boring as well. You choose one movement and work it for 3-6 months with heavy weight and low volume (until the end).

I don't have Kettlebell Muscle, but I believe it's a complex and complexes are very demanding.

Where are you in terms of skill level with kettlebells? Are you comfortable using doubles for swings, cleans, squats, and presses?

Yes boring is maybay the perfect way because you dont have to think
Little problem is that i can press more with my right hand then my left.
Otherwise i can train with double kettlebells.
And i have tried strong and it felt good. But then i felt in the trap of doiing bodyweight pull ups dips push ups again because i missed them and thought it was better for me as martial artist

ROP is another viable option if you want to do one arm work. Most strongfirst programs are designed for people with other physical interest/commitments.

Again, it's the same but different - presses and swings - it could be described as boring.

Haha boring seems to be the key word ;-)
Rop seems inderdaad a good choiche to. Thanks!

Easy Strength will allow you to combine bodyweight, barbell, and kettlebell exercises and not conflict with your martial arts practice.

@lokate, based in your comments consider programs that have a Snatch bias. Also, seek out info regarding the Secret Service Snatch test.

As for me, I am re-building my strength foundation with Simple & Sinister.

Simple and Sinister works for me, leaves plenty in the tank but still feel strong: if I m looking to work double KB I use Andrew Reads' "Gladiator complex," great for conditioning and grip strength.

I am pretty sure @lokate that we have gone over this. IF you are doing Martial Arts then S&S or KB Strong will be great. Depending on your levels you might also be able to do ROP (I am currently) but I would build a strong base first.

William, if you are truly serious about your MA, then boring is exactly what you want from your supplemental strength and conditioning work. You want dead-simple programs where you show up and get your reps in. Anything else will eat into your higher-priority activities and would probably compromise your recovery.

I'll put in a solid plug for S&S because 1) it delivers and 2) it's scalable.

I love KB Strong. Been doing it for a year and now taking a break to go back to S&S. I don't do anything athletic besides kettlebells and Strong beat the crap out of me. Even cutting back to 2x per week I couldn't imagine doing MA 3+ times a week on top of Strong.

Kettlebell Muscle is right out for you unless you take 12 weeks off of MA. Muscle, sleeping and eating are the only three things you're going to be able to do on that program.

I would also recommend Easy Strength, but based on your posting history, you'd be tempted to make it not-so-easy. Better to limit your options and really milk one program, IMO.

EDIT: I had another idea. Why not make your training ADD work for you? Get Geoff's More Kettlebell Muscle and Kettlebell Express. MKM is 21 doubles programs and Express is single bell programs (20+, I think). Each program lasts 6-8 weeks. Pick one, do it, pick another, do that, rinse, repeat. Boredom will not be an obstacle that way.

Last edited:
Is KB Strong only available in a hard copy or is it possible to order an pdf+videos through download?

@ctygesen How did you find KB strong compared to S and S, I've been running S and S for about 4 months after KB burn extreme and I feel great in it, I'm up to the 40kg and it's really challenging me, ordered KB strong and will start in Feb, interested to see you found both programmes, I knew Mike on here loves KB strong. I'm become used to working out 5/6 times a week, it must be a tough programme, did you do anything on the days off?
Conor

I agree with ctygesen on the Strong program. I am finishing phase 2 within the next few days and I have to say that 10x5, 10x6 and 10x4 of a major compound exercise like the clean and press really takes a toll on you. On my recovery days I don't have much of a desire to train at anything else, as phase 2 really leaves me feeling like I ran sprints due to the shorter rest periods and lifted heavy weights.

Kettlebell Muscle, while one of the shortest workout programs ever is also draining.

Both are exceptional and productive.

@ctygesen How did you find KB strong compared to S and S, I've been running S and S for about 4 months after KB burn extreme and I feel great in it, I'm up to the 40kg and it's really challenging me, ordered KB strong and will start in Feb, interested to see you found both programmes, I knew Mike on here loves KB strong. I'm become used to working out 5/6 times a week, it must be a tough programme, did you do anything on the days off?
Conor

Totally apples and oranges. Doubles and singles do very different things to your body, even though both can make you strong and conditioned.

The thing about every one of Geoff's programs, but especially Strong, is that the volume creeps up on you. You really can't evaluate them based on the way they look on paper.

So here's what I'd suggest: go through the DVDs and learn the coaching cues. Then take Geoff's advice and spend a couple of weeks just playing with the exercises before you try to jump into the Strong program, proper. Those couple of weeks I spent doing rack holds with the 28s paid off later.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, and do share your insights when you finally nail the double snatch, using Geoff's cues. Don't want to spoil it for you ;o)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom