all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell Prehab + Movement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hi Guys!

I exclusively worked with kettlebells for a few weeks, mainly S&S. But now that i moved, i can get back to a gym, which i really want to do because i just love to work with the barbell.
I will go with a normal 531 routine, so i'll be lifting 4x a week.
The thing is that the kettlebell gave me really much in the area of movement quality and mobility and i don't want to lose that. I'm mainly talking about the swing, the TGU and the goblet squat.
I don't want to add those movements as assistance in my 531 template, but i'm looking for a way to keep them in as a prehab tool. I don't even have to increase weight to them, just have them in there to keep the movement patterns and mobility.
you know if you don't use it you lose it.
What would you suggest?
I was thinking about something like 3x5 prying goblet squats/50 swings/2-3 TGU per side (everything light enough that it's not cutting into recovery) in the morning 2-3 times a week.

PS: i don't have kettlebells at my gym, so i can't do that as warmup. the only way i could do that would be to carry a kettlebell with me to the gym.
i have to walk there 10minutes and already have to carry my gymstuff and my shoulderök. so i would like to avoid carrying another 53 or 70lbs :)

Sounds solid to me - would probably do it the same way. You could do your KB prehab pretty much daily, though.

Goblet Sq works pretty well with a dumbbell.

Getup can also be done with a dumbbell or even a barbell.

-S-

On the coat tails of Steves post...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hhexNLEdzg

How to do the old time vintage swing with a dumbell.

I thought I would include Arthur Saxons recommendation to do these via Logans article here:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/strongman-profile-arthur-saxon-teaches-us-the-dumbbell-swing

It sounds like the bells are at your place so couldn't you do a warm up there before walking to the gym?

I'd place the swings as assistance work to the deadlift day on that plan, and keep the goblet squats light throughout the week, 1-2 sets of 3-5 before every session focusing on quality of movement. TGU's as you mentioned.

Also if you have a 16kg you may want to add the 10 minutes of carries to and from the gym 1-2 days a week to get the benefits of carries. The cook carry sequence is awesome, should fit in nicely besides military press day.

I'd stick with a kettlebell for swings.

Weighted carry is always a good thing and can be fine exercise all by itself.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom