all posts post new thread

Old Forum kettlebell press hurts forearm

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
Feel like a wimp.  resting the bell on my forearm hurts enough to make me not want to do presses.  Any tips or ideas to fix this?

Thanks

If i get in exactly right position with bell I can do them-but still hurts forearm sometimes

I make sure I keep a strong wrist and hand position, as Pavel says, like a strike with your fist.  don't over crane the hand, but with a straight wrist and a slight pull with the fingers you should take much of the stress off the back of the forearm.  it don't believe you should ever feel like the bell is "resting" on your arm, I think you should be actively grabbing the bell.

Also I find if you grab it a bit more in one of the corners there is less direct pressure.

Brian, I had the same problem with both presses and get ups. I realized that my bell was a type with pretty large flat sides and it was at the "corner" of where the flat met the curve where my forearm hurt. Tried a bell that didn't have the flat sides and the problem was solved.

Brian, are you just getting started out or moving up in weight? I found that, my first week or two of doing TGUs with a 32kg, my forearm was bruised up constantly. Eventually, it adapted and they feel great.

It could be the bell as well. Oddly enough, my 16kgs cause me quite a bit of pain on the wrist when doing armbars.

Also, what Marchese said.

In karate, punching a makiwara, and banging forearms and hsins with a partner, can be very painful for a beginner.  But eventually the pain goes away as you get use to it.

Same for the KB.  If you're alone, don't be afraid to use wrist bands.  Eventually you won't need them, as your arms get use to the preasure.  If you're in a KB gym, suck it up!   Trying different hand positions along the bell handle may help.

Al

For what it's worth I had the same experience as Allan Stonehouse.  Get-ups and presses hurt the bejeesus out of my forearm at first but over time the pain decreased to the point that now it's a non-issue.  It may not seem like much in the way of advice but if you just keep at it it'll improve.

I agree its something you have to adapt to providing you are holding it correctly in your hand.Bare metal on the forearm is not the most comfortable thing and the larger KB you work with will have more surface area touching your forearm and a little more pressure on it.I the beginning many years ago i felt the way you did but eventually adapted.

I also had a lot of pain on my forearms to start, especially when I started learning cleans! However, you may also want to try just putting the bell in the most comfortable position for your arm and then trying to move the handle around in your hand. Try a little ulnar deviation also as I find that allows me to have the bell on "the inside" a little more which hurts less for me, but could be just from desensitization.

Brian D, grip the handle so hard that you forget about what your forearm feels like.

Make sure your wrist is straight.

Post a video, please.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom