all posts post new thread

Old Forum Kettlebell rucksack walk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm wondering how to carry 60lbs now that you've mentioned it Al.  I'm curious what fun I am missing...  My ruck mightn't hold up to that weight.

Steve,

What I have followed of your posts reveals that you seem to be looking for an exercise that provides both cardiovascular endurance and carryover power endurance specific to GS/jerks.  I don't think this exists.  I think that you may need to find the mode of LSD exercise that you like, and plug away the hours.  In addition, you have to find that assistance work which gets you specifically stronger in your event - jumping quarter squats, or the like ... I'm speculating.  From what you tell above, it's strength/power that is lacking.  But like you said, you're using an overload, so this would be expected(?)

I can tell you this, from my recent experience: after many years of short, intense work, and lots of swings, just a few months of multiple humps per week "for exercise" provided me with more density in a session like S&S.  I'm not sure what your LSD program is, but Lydiard used to discuss prepping athletes for years on LSD before ramping them up to compete ... that's, "years" ... years of at least twice per week of sessions in excess of 90 minutes (one was usually into the 2-3hour range), and daily sessions of at least 30 min.  Who does this today?  His athletes also took gold in the short distance events - same base cycle, different peak cycle.  My short-term experience seems to illustrate his ideas.

You might also consider that you are doing everything that you can to improve in your training, so just let the training effect take place ...

Matt,

Good rucks are expensive.  If you're using a school book backpack, it'll fall apart as the load gets heavy.

For heavier loads, home improvement stores sell cheap bags of dry cement mix in different weights.  It's dense stuff, so a lot of weight comes in a relatively small sack.  Cover it thoroughly with duct tape to protect ... or, just fill a sand bag.

Don't jump right into heavier loads ... coax it up 5-10lbs per outing.

Al

Thanks, Al.  You got me pegged.  I was hoping for a one-stop shop to get my lsd cardio and target knee and hip extension.  Too much to ask, I suppose. I'm improving slowly, but it just never seems fast enough.

Maybe ask your coach what the usual expected rate of progression is in your sport.  Obviously, age, recovery ability, other life obligations, etc. will alter yours from the norm, but perhaps you can get a feel for what to expect.

Great discussion.  Just chiming in to mention that canvas coin bags filled with sand and tied tightly might work.  http://www.amazon.com/UBICON-Inches-Five-Heavy-Duty/dp/B00L9E8T3G/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1409704036&sr=8-9&keywords=canvas+coin+bags

Thanks Mike, good idea – wouldn’t have thought of that. Yet I was thinking a few days ago (after Eugene suggested metal plates) that metal ball bearings would be a good thing to ruck with. They would be dense but also distribute themselves evenly to make the load a bit more comfy. Coin bags would be a good thing to use.

I have a backpack which is surprisingly good. A small one that seems to be designed just for a soccer/basketball (just big enough for that) – or a kettlebell funnily. So my 24kg seems to hold ok in this – the 32kg might be testing its limits. Fun and games for a future challenge.

I think I’d cover cement bags with duct tape Al in case it rains!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom