all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Simple & Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
Warning: I am biased by practice.

It happened out of a sudden, that I started SAS yesterday, and I am happy that today I have just two sessions under my belt.

It was kind of coincidence, that I stumbled into SAS. Three weeks ago, I was on the motorway to enrich my family of bells. I drove home with almost a quarter of a ton of well rounded steel and 90 pages of paper: Kettlebell Simple & Sinister, which my kettlebell dealer had in his stock also, coincidentally.

So I read a chapter here and there mostly in bed before I turned off the lights to fall into sleep. A kind of unconscious briefing, I think.

I have just two sessions under my belt and some more, as I have a lay off of about 20 months. I have SAS on my kindle app for almost as long as it was released.

In the meantime I did lots of heavy swings and snatches for fives. Lots of heavy get ups and deconstruction of the get up.

10x10 one arm swings followed by 10x1 get ups felt new and familiar. Sometimes it is good to come back again to revisit and stay some. S&S is a diamond polished by practice to become a brilliant. A brilliant has many facets.

A new golden boy :)
I assume some more aswell.
Did you drive all the way to Haltern instead of having them shipped?

another thought on S&S:
100 explosive swings with a good amount of weight is very serious work. The whole system gets a hit: muscle, lungs, heart, mind. Blood is flowing. There is some remarkable metabolic demand and this I guess facilitates muscle and strength adaptations with the great long duration get up afterwards. There is an overall slight, for not having a better word I say "pump" feeling on the whole body, my upper back feels a few inches wider and thicker, after a session. The order of swings then get ups has an effect.

Strength and muscle, heart, lungs, posterior, anterior, joints, mobility, explosiveness, stability, reliability... S&S builds all that in a well rounded package.

Harald,
An interesting choice of words... I like it a lot...
yes S&S is reliable, as it relies on two main movements. It is reliable, as there is not much of a choice (but one can choose about how to do, practice, train in many ways). Reliable, as I can rely on one bell only. Reliable, as I know S&S leads to lasting results over time as long as I rely on.

I wholeheartedly agree! S&S is amazing! It's the workout I know is really making my whole body stronger and more coordinated and it feels very good, with no especial strain on only certain parts. It also feels a lot more like a sport than it seems a lot of other kinds of workouts I've tried. I imagine this is because of the huge amount of movement you are doing in different directions and angles (particularly when factoring in the getups.) In two exercises, everything is there. Balance, coordination, mobility, endurance, all present.

I know that the main events are the swing and tgu, but I also think that a portion of the magic comes from goblet squats. squating the weight your going to swing in a slow controlled manner with a focus on prying your hips apart really primes you for you session and I've noticed that if I'm not doing some kind of squat (goblet, fs, dfs, pistol, ect.) I don't get as strong overall as fast. Anyone else notice this?

@Maine-ah KB : the goblets are awesome in so many ways: mobility, a great stretch for the thighs and the whole backside and a bit of strength. I love them.

Hence why my wishlist is not for new programs from Pavel but just streamline the classics.. Hoping for a remastered ROP and RTK in the near future
everytime I am done with s&s at the end of the day I know that I did just this and there was no gap to be filled with something else.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom