all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Kettlebell Snatch Test vs. "Grace" (barbell C&J) workout

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ugh, closest location to me is 8 hours away in Dallas, so probably not. (No time or location for me to host one here currently, but maybe someday).
For some reason I was thinking you could film and send. You could train for it, follow format , compare to the leader board.

I was tracking what you were saying. Was wondering what SF was saying, the become SFG bit.
I think it's a suggestion that it's one more reason to become an SFG -- then you can host your own TSC. Though I think you still have to go through the whole procedure to get listed as a host location... you can't just declare the day before, "I'm an SFG and I'm hosting one here in my home gym" (or else I might do it!)

Last edited:
Well I've done a couple more Grace practices this past week or so.

Learned that it's easier without a lifting belt than with one. Unimpeded breathing is more important than any help with the lifting!

Also I seem to have a good pace at 4 RPM, with sets of 2-3 reps. I would like to be able to do the full 30 reps in 5 minutes, but's proving to be VERY hard. I'm maxed out at 4-5 RPM. But we'll see when I'm fresh... I still have 12 days to go before the event, so a few more training sessions and a taper and we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• Grace_20220902.JPG
    Grace_20220902.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Grace_and_DL_20220905.JPG
    Grace_and_DL_20220905.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
I did the event! Grace completed in 5:35. I was happy with the effort and didn't sprint at the end because it wouldn't have changed my placement. So I was mostly able to do the reps fast and powerful with rest in between each 5, 4, or 3 reps. If I had really tried to do it as fast as possible I might have got a little under 5:00, but would take more practice to get anywhere near the top competitors that day who did it in 1:57, 2:46, and 3:07. I was 4th after them, and the other 3 competitors in the women's division used a modified weight.

So, the things I learned:
  • wear lifting shoes
  • do not wear lifting belt
  • clean and jerk with one dip (clean, and from that dip, jerk)
  • dump the bar from overhead on each rep (tried barbell cycling a few times and could do it with lighter weight, but not with the 95 lbs)
  • find optimal reps per set in practice, and take adequate rest between sets
  • breathe and relax between sets, rest and recover
  • don't take as much time on set-up for each lift as with regular lifting... just get basically in position, grab and go
The events after that were 3RM DL where I did 325 lbs, and a version of Murph that I did in 1 hr 16 min. It was a fun day. I'll make another post about it soon when they publish the photos and videos from the whole event.

Thanks to those who offered some wisdom here for this endeavor.

Photo from the event - I'm in the blue shirt:

1663726938628.png

Froning popping it off with 225#, pretty impressive and also shows the steady, single rep process.

Wow, 225. That's impressive.

congrats, awesome! how did you feel?
Thanks! Felt pretty good, really. The weight wasn't a problem and I could do 5 reps in a set to start with, going to 3 or so per set later. Breathing and HR were high but under control. The end would have been painful if I had needed to sprint, but there was no need to with the placement the way it was, so I kept the effort steady.

All in all, probably about as hard as a 16 kg snatch test and a similar complete body effort, but it did feel different -- farther towards the lifting end of the spectrum and less like cardio, though the cardio component figures in heavily too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom