all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell strength standards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Daniel, how much do average players in these positions weigh?

Good question, because I forgot about the size consideration. Division 1 offensive and defensive linemen usually weigh 285-335 lbs. I personally weighed up to 298 lbs when I played and met these basic standards. I have an old standards sheet from a big time program (Missouri). It has standards for all positions including the smaller players like WR and DB (which may be more applicable to this population group). I will look for it tonight and post it when I find it.

Should strength standards be geared more towards fat free mass or total mass? I could see arguments in both directions. Some people have a lot of dead weight. Should they "own" their dead weight by owning a strength standard that includes that dead weight? Or should strength standards at times be geared more toward the weight that somebody would be if they were to slim down? (obviously a slim individual still owns some body fat, but you know what I mean)

For athletes who need to be large and carry dead weight..i think they should own their weight
For individuals hoping to slim down, should they gear their standards to their target weight?

@Pavel
I was found my copy of the University of Missouri football program strength and conditioning manual. It does not list basic strength standards, but does have a sheet titled "All Big XII Physical Standards," which I have attached. These are elite level standards and probably do not apply in this community. The most applicable numbers may be the ones listed for kickers/punters, corners, safeties, receivers, and quarterbacks (ideal body weight ranges in these position groups are ~170-210 lbs). I think that the basic strength standards I mentioned in my earlier post are numbers that we offensive and defensive linemen looked at as basic competencies in the important movements (power clean - 300, bench press - 400, squat - 500). Those were good numbers that meant you might be able to hold your own on the playing field.

Attachments

• All Big XII Physical Standards.pdf
    370.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hrrmmm, back to little guys--no matter how strong I got and I do mean no matter how strong, I would be a smear of grease on the playing field within a matter of seconds at most. So for me, I dont really think power cleaning just under 3X bodyweight, benching 4X bw, and squatting 5X bw are particularly relevant...as if! HAH!!!

I do think standards for example for pro football are necessary and important but I also think that a general standard set will have to take body size into account in some way(s)

Daniel, without consideration of the bodyweight or the athlete's specialization these numbers are out of context.

If you are looking for the PL numbers for a generalist, decent but not startling, the point of diminishing returns, for men SQ 2xBW, BP 1.5xBW, and DL 2.5x2.5BW.

Interestingly, assuming a 300lb top level collegiate lineman, the one SEC program's "all-conference" standards of 450 lb BP and 600 lb SQ are exactly where Pavel put the point of diminishing returns. Agreed that it makes sense to put standards in terms of body weight. At the same time, when you're at the line of scrimmage, you don't get to weigh in before you line up with the guy across from you, so basing the standards on an average weight of the position maybe makes more sense in that context.

@jca17
Good observation about those numbers being in line with the projections by bodyweight. I feel bad that I have hijacked this thread with barbell info because I believe the OP was asking about kb strength standards...
I like the standard of a 48 kg press. And also think a double 48 kg front squat would be appropriate, but my lack of exposure to kettle bells outside my own training makes me a terrible source and this number is simply conjecture.

Just looking at the kind of goals different kettlebell programs have, it seems like being able to do doubles with 1/2 bodyweight in each hand for reps is super solid in front squats, swings, C&P, TGU, etc. That way you get to factor bodyweight into the standards. To give yourself more of a goal, better to shoot for the higher bell if your 1/2 bodyweight is between sizes.

Interesting topic!

I am personally fan of standards - all our training programs have a certain goal, and it has to be met before the student can move on. A goal without a plan is just a wish - but a plan without a goal is just a wish as well.

My question - what would be a standard for healthy, regular man, training with kettlebells, for following lifts? Similar to let's say 32 get-up, 1/2 bw military press, 2xbw deadlift, "entry level strong"? The standard can be either weight, or reps, or both:

1) pistol (with kettlebell)
2) weighted pullup
3) bent press

I think it should be a volume thing with the pull-ups rather than a weighted thing. 15 strict pull-ups. When I've looked at TSC results, this seems like a typical number. Getting there is doable, but it takes work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom