all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Strong and Deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stephen Winn

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi this is my first thread here. Great forum here, learned a lot from just reading. I was wondering if anyone had success combining the kettle bell strong programme with deadlifts. Basically:

Monday - clean and press
Wednesday - deadlift
Friday - clean and press

I am a 30 year old shot putter. So it's my off season now. I use 2x32kg for clean and press. My best deadlift is 250kg. But currently around 190kg. I'd like to incorporate deadlifts again within my kb training. The deadlift strength dropped over the season and due to a back injury throwing the hammer which is now fixed thankfully.

Thanks.

I think it's fine. I don't have personal experience incorporating deadlifts, but I have done the first phase of Strong with C&P.

Sticking with your schedule of taking the weekend off, you could even do two DL days, on Tuesday and Friday, doing your C&Ps on Monday and Thursday. Geoff recommends this schedule if you are combining Strong with the One program. The One program is a lot of loaded hinging (double swings), so I think the same schedule with DL would work fine, even though the DL is a lower volume grind, and the One is more conditioning oriented.

How are you planning to organize your DL training? What are your goals for your DL? Is it a major priority, or secondary to the C&P?

Geoff Neupert seems pretty responsive to emails, so you might be able to get some direct input from him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I have just emailed Geoff, that didn't even occur to me.
Basically my throws correlate well with my deadlift. I know when it's up I throw well. So it is secondary. I was planning to wave the weights and gradually increase the deadlift. I usually follow a 5-3-2 style rep scheme for heavy sets.

I've never actually tried the one+strong combo. I love the regular strong programme. Guaranteed progress. Maybe i should see how the combo serves me.

532 is pretty low volume, so twice a week would probably allow you to make better progress without affecting your C&P sessions. You could cycle your DLs in any regular PTTP style, independent of your 7 day training week, or plan cycles to have a heavy and light day each week.

Please report back if you get a response from Geoff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom