all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG is on sale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Too good to turn down, ordered a copy 12 dollars shipping to Ireland and two beta programs thrown in as well! Going to carry on S and S next year but I'll definitely run with KB strong at some stage in the new year!!

Bill, your assessment of KBM is quite the same way I felt about it, but it does deliver. Geoff is also offering his "double stuff" program with his package deal. 4 week program that will yield results.

Mike, how long did you run with it for? Did you bulk up with it? Like yourself, I have used Geoff's programs before and found them to be terrific, the DVD instructions on KB burn is excellent. I am definitely committing to S and S for the next few months S I've really enjoyed digging down into it and it's been great for dropping bf and fitting in with bjj.
Thanks Mike.

Hey conor78

I first did Strong regular with 2x24kg for the full run (12 weeks @3 days a week or so?)
Then I did the Strong/One hybrid 2x24kg and that was 16 weeks or so to do?
After that I did the Strong Phase 2 with the same weight.

I did gain some muscle and when I did the Strong/One I burned fat off like crazy and that was with no diet change(IE I was not fasting during that period)

I did also start a KB Strong with the FSQ but did not finish it due to a leg injury sustained from my martial arts that sidelined all KB work for a while but that is all better now thanks to OS.

AFTER I pass my SFG I plan to go back to KB Strong C&P (2x28kg) and then move onto doing STRONG Longcycle with 2x32kg.

I love KB Strong because it makes you strong but also is not a very demanding program. It works very well especially for us that dabble in other sports/combat arts.

Thanks for that Mike, I know that you mentioned it earlier in the thread and seemed very impressed with it. Geoff is a tremendous instructor and I have learnt a lot from his Burn DVDs, but having been in S and S for a while I have come away from double KB to allow for bjj and a day of heavy deadlifts. I'll certainly cycle KB strong in at sown stage. Thanks again Mike.
Conor

Got an email from Geoff today and he wanted to express his thanks for all the support he is getting here and he appreciates it!!

Got an email from Geoff today and he wanted to express his thanks for all the support he is getting here and he appreciates it!!

I wonder how us previous buyers can get our hands on that swing/snatch beta test program?

The sale seems to be over now. But I'm interested. Sounds like a good way to prep for SFG II. Might as well ask, though -- is it good for women? Are any differences included, or, would it be the same instruction/program, as applicable to women?

The sale seems to be over now. But I'm interested. Sounds like a good way to prep for SFG II. Might as well ask, though -- is it good for women? Are any differences included, or, would it be the same instruction/program, as applicable to women?

Geoff has in the past documented his metamorphosis away from designing programs "for women".

Women respond to strength training just like men, only more slowly. Women tend to be less able to mount a Herculean 1RM, but can operate much closer to their 1RM than men can. Women also tend to not benefit from large caloric surpluses the way men do when strength training. So this program is excellent for women because a woman's 3-4RM bell is much closer to her 1RM bell than what a man can use. Now we just build volume over time, recover diligently, repeat.

And yes, this is an excellent way to prep for any SFG because everything in a cert weekend is easier when you're stronger - even (gasp! shock! incredulity!) the snatch test. Double bells are used in the program because they create systemic demand. Your body's reaction to systemic demand is to adapt systemically. Your whole being gets stronger - including your 1-arm press and your windmill.

Great info, especially about the 3-4RM relative to 1RM, and systemic demand. Thanks, Bill!

@Anna C, when I was practicing olympic weightlifting, my coach was ranked third nationally in her weight class at the time (and getting close to that level again now after having a baby). She was absolutely stronger and lighter than me, and trained the same way.

When I was part of a Georgie Fear's nutrition coaching group (who just signed on with StrengthMatters), her husband, Roland, said that women have the same capacity to build strength, pound for pound, as men. They're both tied fairly close to keeping up on research, but I don't have the background to say whether or not that was accurate.

I'll respectfully throw out a different experience than yours, @Bill Been. I tend to be pretty adept at low-rep strength stuff, but I have to really fight to develop my engine. I can press close to my half bodyweight bell right now, but even after spending the last year doing pretty demanding workouts in a studio, I'm not some aerobic machine. Being stronger definitely makes bells feel lighter, but a 5 minute sprint is still a 5 minute sprint, at least for me. I think it's phase three when Geoff starts compressing rest intervals with the sets of 10. That's where I think a lot of conditioning will build back.

the near-indefatigably patient @Steve Friedes
Aw.

Freides, though, please - I spell just the way my grandfather and my father did. We pronounced it like "freed us."

One more point - there is quite a variety of how close or not one can train among both sexes. I recall, at the first PlanStrong in the US, discussing training differences between a couple of our Master Instructors, both of whom are male - one can do lots, and lots, and lots of volume, and his 1RM isn't all that far above a weight he can do lots of reps with; the other needed to stay at a much lower percentage of 1RM in training, saving the big effort for a meet. They commented on how poorly suited each was for a program that would be optimal for the other if based solely on the same percentage of 1RM.

@JamesO, strength and endurance are both specific. I wouldn't consider yourself poor at endurance - you're probably just comparing yourself to a high standard in that area, but you only need to have as much endurance as you need to have, IMHO. Anyone can make a 5-minute sprint doable or miserable just by adjusting the pace, and no one can go all-out for 5 minutes.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Hey conor78

I first did Strong regular with 2x24kg for the full run (12 weeks @3 days a week or so?)
Then I did the Strong/One hybrid 2x24kg and that was 16 weeks or so to do?
After that I did the Strong Phase 2 with the same weight.

I did gain some muscle and when I did the Strong/One I burned fat off like crazy and that was with no diet change(IE I was not fasting during that period)

I did also start a KB Strong with the FSQ but did not finish it due to a leg injury sustained from my martial arts that sidelined all KB work for a while but that is all better now thanks to OS.

AFTER I pass my SFG I plan to go back to KB Strong C&P (2x28kg) and then move onto doing STRONG Longcycle with 2x32kg.

I love KB Strong because it makes you strong but also is not a very demanding program. It works very well especially for us that dabble in other sports/combat arts.

So you did the Strong program for one cycle then did a second cycle but did Strong+One using the same pair of bells did I understand that correctly?

For the second cycle, did you feel you needed to zip up less and use less feed forward tension?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom