all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Ive come across this issue in phase 1. Working through with double 40s. My 4th rep on the test was shaky but it came through.

Once I got to 3 reps I have struggles to hold the volume. Training 3 days per week. Sets of 2 feel so damn easy, even after 10 sets I feel I could keep going. But once i hit the 4th and 5th set of 3s the fatigue sets in and the reps are not good. Ive stopped at the 6x3 day.

Thinking of starting phase one again? And training maybe 2 days instead of 3. I do ECD training strongman sandbags for 15minutes twice a week so maybe im just simply not recovering enough. Dont really want to give that up as the conditioning from that has been carrying over well to my job. But this plus three kids under 4. Maybe im biting off more then I can chew.

Would love to get some advice on this if anyone has any?

Ive come across this issue in phase 1. Working through with double 40s. My 4th rep on the test was shaky but it came through.

Once I got to 3 reps I have struggles to hold the volume. Training 3 days per week. Sets of 2 feel so damn easy, even after 10 sets I feel I could keep going. But once i hit the 4th and 5th set of 3s the fatigue sets in and the reps are not good. Ive stopped at the 6x3 day.

Thinking of starting phase one again? And training maybe 2 days instead of 3. I do ECD training strongman sandbags for 15minutes twice a week so maybe im just simply not recovering enough. Dont really want to give that up as the conditioning from that has been carrying over well to my job. But this plus three kids under 4. Maybe im biting off more then I can chew.

I have been in this exact position multiple times. I have survived phase 1 with 40s like three times and been derailed in the first few weeks of phase 2 (Slow and Steady). The double 40s for me at least are cumbersome as well as heavy.

Led me to take time away from kettlebell training for over a year. Starting back now I'm using the 36s for Strong and I don't know if it's my age (I'll be 60 this year) or lack of conditioning with kettlebell training from the extended layoff but I'm finding the cleans are kicking my butt!

My only advice with using upper limit poundages for the Strong Program from a personal point of view is drop the other "extras" as they do tap into recovery! Spending a few months doing clean and presses if you're not a competitive lifter/bodybuilder is still going to keep your overall strength respectable.

Just a thought: Have you considered to cycle back to workout 10, the first workout of week 3? That would give you 6 workouts (2-3 weeks) until you have to do 7x3. It would be like a mini deload.

In my case, it didn't help.
With 2x40kg though! That’s a beastly amount of weight. I was using 24’s only.

That much volume with 2 x 40kg’s is at the extreme end of KB strength/strength endurance imho. I’d be happy if I was strong enough to get through phase 1 of Strong with 40’s, but struggled with phase 2!!

Drop any other training or drop to 2x per week. When you get to sets of 5, you’ll no longer need extra stuff for conditioning anyway.

Even with 28s once I started hitting 5 rep sets, it was getting quite fatiguing. I, of course, did not make any changes to my workout schedule in the week. This eventually resulted in a shoulder impingement. Now that I have learnt from that mistake, next time I run it I will make sure that I do not run any other overhead movement.

Back
Top Bottom