all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

I started Strong again today. I ran phase 1 & 2 for six months last year and then repeated phase 2 as the short course, all with 28kgs.
This time I’m going to do LCCJ with the Strong rep scheme. Although I used the 28’s last year and theoretically I should be able to go heavier on the jerks, I’m going to use the 28’s again, mainly to learn the jerk properly.
I have Geoff’s RMF and have watched the videos several times, but for me, this is a very technical lift.
I’m also just going to do Strong 2 times a week this time and do the “One” program 2 days a week.
Does anyone see a problem with doing the “One” program with the C&J on opposite days? Geoff?
Workout 1 is in the books.

I started Strong again today. I ran phase 1 & 2 for six months last year and then repeated phase 2 as the short course, all with 28kgs.
This time I’m going to do LCCJ with the Strong rep scheme. Although I used the 28’s last year and theoretically I should be able to go heavier on the jerks, I’m going to use the 28’s again, mainly to learn the jerk properly.
I have Geoff’s RMF and have watched the videos several times, but for me, this is a very technical lift.
I’m also just going to do Strong 2 times a week this time and do the “One” program 2 days a week.
Does anyone see a problem with doing the “One” program with the C&J on opposite days? Geoff?
Workout 1 is in the books.
So 2x a week strong and 2x a week one? That's how Geoff originally prescribed it

Man, I really need to do swings again. My conditioning has definitely dropped since I stopped swings. They are gold for that. A hard strength workout is fun, but conditioning sucks haha. But then I get to eat more so…

I’ve been trying to add swings in again for maybe 2 weeks now. I am so annoyed at how bad my lungs have gotten that I keep putting it off. I don’t think i could do both strong and the one right now, but I think I need to just suck it up and add a few sets in during the week, and slowly add til I’m back at 10x10.

Man, I really need to do swings again. My conditioning has definitely dropped since I stopped swings. They are gold for that. A hard strength workout is fun, but conditioning sucks haha. But then I get to eat more so…

I’ve been trying to add swings in again for maybe 2 weeks now. I am so annoyed at how bad my lungs have gotten that I keep putting it off. I don’t think i could do both strong and the one right now, but I think I need to just suck it up and add a few sets in during the week, and slowly add til I’m back at 10x10.
What phase of Strong! are you in?
How do the bell sizes compare to your swing bell?

What phase of Strong! are you in?
How do the bell sizes compare to your swing bell?
2x24kg for push press, doing the first phase ( first time ). Around Christmas I was doing 32 and 36kg swings. 32 x 1 hand and 36 x 2 hand, S&S 10x10. I tweaked my lower back ( not due to swings ) but am recovered fully now. Off day today so I’ll do a swing session later on, just 2H and low reps, to see how much I suck haha

Well, my lungs might have complained, but man, after doing lots of 2x20kg clean and press ( Giant 3.0 ), and now 2x24kg push press, swinging a single 32kg bell seems a lot easier for my legs!. I planned on doing 5 sets of 10, with the 32. But after the 2nd set, jumped to my 36kg. I did 5 total sets of 10. I could have kept going, but I’ll just add an extra set of 10 each session til I hit 10x10. The way my work roster is, I have 2 days a week where I have to go to the gym before my day shifts. They have light bells, but I’ll take my 36kg and get a 2nd day off swings in, as well as 3 days of Strong. When I’m back at 10 sets of 10, I’ll aim to slowly reduce rest times.

Well, my lungs might have complained, but man, after doing lots of 2x20kg clean and press ( Giant 3.0 ), and now 2x24kg push press, swinging a single 32kg bell seems a lot easier for my legs!. I planned on doing 5 sets of 10, with the 32. But after the 2nd set, jumped to my 36kg. I did 5 total sets of 10. I could have kept going, but I’ll just add an extra set of 10 each session til I hit 10x10. The way my work roster is, I have 2 days a week where I have to go to the gym before my day shifts. They have light bells, but I’ll take my 36kg and get a 2nd day off swings in, as well as 3 days of Strong. When I’m back at 10 sets of 10, I’ll aim to slowly reduce rest times.
I've switched between swings and LCCJ in the last 18 months and my conditioning has only improved with each cycle.
Reading above it sounds like you have made progress despite your concerns.
Perhaps it was less overall volume or reps per set leading to this.

Have you seen the latest email from @Geoff Neupert about King Size Killer? He writes about progressing from Swings to C&P to Snatches.
It sounds like you're the perfect candidate :)

I've switched between swings and LCCJ in the last 18 months and my conditioning has only improved with each cycle.

Have you seen the latest email from @Geoff Neupert about King Size Killer? He writes about progressing from Swings to C&P to Snatches.
I haven't seen that email, apparently I need to sign up for his notifications but I can say the King Sized Killer is a great program! It worked so well for me I never did it again!

@John Grahill , that's funny you didn't see Geoff's email, considering you were quoted in it! I guess your royalties check is still in the mail :)

I am psyched -- just tested and got 5 reps with the 28s (4th rep tough, and 5th was a really slow grind), so starting Phase 1 this week with those. Can't wait to add my positive feedback to the pile....
That's pretty funny! I assure you I have received no payment/royalties from the man!

I’ve started playing around with kb high pulls. I think I know how to do it but there’s definitely a mental hurdle to go from high pull to snatch, even at lighter weights. Love clean and press.

Finished Week 5 of Phase 1 today. I'm getting tired of the limitations of the program. Not hating on the program, I'm keeping pace with everything, and I think my arms and shoulders are seeing hints of growth and my press is getting stronger.

I just want to bench... and squat... and deadlift... and snatch... too!

Finished Week 5 of Phase 1 today. I'm getting tired of the limitations of the program. Not hating on the program, I'm keeping pace with everything, and I think my arms and shoulders are seeing hints of growth and my press is getting stronger.

I just want to bench... and squat... and deadlift... and snatch... too!
Perhaps you could split it in two. Have a break and come back;
i) Strong! weeks 1 to 5 = done
ii) 2 to 4 weeks other
iii) Strong! weeks 5 to 8

I just finished Week 1 of Phase 2. I am feeling strong. The 2x24k Bells are becoming a little more challenging as the reps increase.

I am conscious about the rest periods between sets. (With an eye towards Phase 3 of Strong) So far I have been able to keep the sets OTM. I imagine that will change as I progress through Phase 2.

Bring on Phase 2, Week 2!!

@blad51 that's amazing! I can't imagine you'll keep rest periods at 60 seconds through Phase 2, but if you do then Phase 3 will be superfluous!

Perhaps you could split it in two. Have a break and come back;
i) Strong! weeks 1 to 5 = done
ii) 2 to 4 weeks other
iii) Strong! weeks 5 to 8
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll finish phase 1 and then reevaluate. I'm not ready to thrown in the towel yet - 10RM with 32s is sitting there, waiting for me to be patient and consistent enough to grab it. :)

Back
Top Bottom