all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Week 3 of Phase 2 is over. WHAT A WEEK!

I closed on my new house on Monday. I was at an out of town work conference for the rest of the week. I moved most of my KBs to my new house. (The song by Reel to Real is stuck in my head "I like to move it, move it, I like to...")

My first lift of the week was early in the morning because we had to get to the closing.

My second lift of the week was at the hotel. They had KBs but.... they were singles up to 35lbs. (Boo!) So I did the lifts with dumb bells. My warm-up was 2x35lbs: 5 DMP. 5 C&P and 2x45lbs: 5 DMP. 5 C&P. I thought I would be able to use the 50 lbs DBs because I'm using 24k bells for Strong. So I tried the 2x50lbs. I was only able to get 3 C&Ps with good form. There was a bunch of other people lifting so I decided not to push it. (I usually don't work with an audience!) So.... I decided to drop down to the 45lbs DBs for my session. I did 2 more sets to compensate for the lower weight.

DB C&P is not a lift I practice. However.... It is curious (AND a little frustrating) to me that I have a difference in what I can lift between KB C&Ps and DB C&Ps.

Movers come next week!!

I am grateful to Geoff Neupert for designing an efficient (and effective) program. Strong is still fitting into my life as I handle the stress of moving and travel. This week was the 2nd time I have taken Strong on the road with me as I travel and used DBs. Strong with DBs feels awkward to me. But that is because I train the program with KBs. I am sure that if I only had DBs to lift, I would still love the program.

I also appreciate that the program is time efficient. When I have unlimited time, my whole lifting session lasts around an hour. (Warm-up, Strong Program lifts, patterning unfamiliar lifts, cool-down etc.) Strong is scalable to the time I have on a given day. For this last week's sessions, I only did my warm-up, Strong Program lifts, and a cool-down. The sessions lasted around 35 minutes. (A very invigorating 35 minutes!)

Bring on Week 4!! I like to move it, move it. I like to....

I closed on my new house on Monday. I was at an out of town work conference for the rest of the week. I moved most of my KBs to my new house. (The song by Reel to Real is stuck in my head "I like to move it, move it, I like to...")

My first lift of the week was early in the morning because we had to get to the closing.

My second lift of the week was at the hotel. They had KBs but.... they were singles up to 35lbs. (Boo!) So I did the lifts with dumb bells. My warm-up was 2x35lbs: 5 DMP. 5 C&P and 2x45lbs: 5 DMP. 5 C&P. I thought I would be able to use the 50 lbs DBs because I'm using 24k bells for Strong. So I tried the 2x50lbs. I was only able to get 3 C&Ps with good form. There was a bunch of other people lifting so I decided not to push it. (I usually don't work with an audience!) So.... I decided to drop down to the 45lbs DBs for my session. I did 2 more sets to compensate for the lower weight.

DB C&P is not a lift I practice. However.... It is curious (AND a little frustrating) to me that I have a difference in what I can lift between KB C&Ps and DB C&Ps.

Movers come next week!!

I am grateful to Geoff Neupert for designing an efficient (and effective) program. Strong is still fitting into my life as I handle the stress of moving and travel. This week was the 2nd time I have taken Strong on the road with me as I travel and used DBs. Strong with DBs feels awkward to me. But that is because I train the program with KBs. I am sure that if I only had DBs to lift, I would still love the program.

I also appreciate that the program is time efficient. When I have unlimited time, my whole lifting session lasts around an hour. (Warm-up, Strong Program lifts, patterning unfamiliar lifts, cool-down etc.) Strong is scalable to the time I have on a given day. For this last week's sessions, I only did my warm-up, Strong Program lifts, and a cool-down. The sessions lasted around 35 minutes. (A very invigorating 35 minutes!)

Great work mate !

I had a bit of a win as well. Without wanting to add too much to Strong, I couldn’t help trying a single 32kg clean on each side this morning. Never attempted before. Ended up getting 2 reps of push press with the 32 on each side. Tough, but I got the reps. The bell was hitting my leg on my good side curiously. Didn’t want to ruin my progress on Strong, so was happy with just a few reps.

Movers come next week!!

I have used dumbbells before for the Strong! Program and it worked well. I'm in the same boat in that my DB c+p isn't as strong as my kettlebell c+p. They (dumbbells) are more awkward to use but that's not a bad thing in my mind....different challenge. I actually find that the different cleaning style I use....more like an old school muscle clean....and the awkward feeling rack position translates to dumbbells that are about 10 pounds lighter than the kettlebells I'd choose.

I've used the DB for Strong ..... I wonder if I'd like using them for the Giant???

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat in that my DB c+p isn't as strong as my kettlebell c+p. They (dumbbells) are more awkward to use but that's not a bad thing in my mind....different challenge. I actually find that the different cleaning style I use....more like an old school muscle clean....and the awkward feeling rack position translates to dumbbells that are about 10 pounds lighter than the kettlebells I'd choose.
Phew! John that makes me feel better! Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

I agree it's a different clean. I had a little DOMS in my elbows on Thursday. It freaked me out because I feared I was going to have another battle with tendinitis. All better on Friday. ( So relieved!!)

Looking for some advice guys. I’m about 1/3 the way through the first phase of Strong, with 2x24 push press. I’m a little undecided about doing phase 2 with push press, or re doing phase 1 with 2x24, but doing clean and press. I’d prefer to increase my pressing strength, so I think I would be better re doing phase one, 2x24, but do C&P, to increase pressing strength.

I’m currently doing push press, because I could only press the 2x24 3 times before starting, not quite enough to C&P, but enough to use push press in Strong. Now I can press them x 5.

I will definitely finish off phase 1 with push press though, I’m enjoying it a lot!

Thoughts ?

Looking for some advice guys. I’m about 1/3 the way through the first phase of Strong, with 2x24 push press. I’m a little undecided about doing phase 2 with push press, or re doing phase 1 with 2x24, but doing clean and press. I’d prefer to increase my pressing strength, so I think I would be better re doing phase one, 2x24, but do C&P, to increase pressing strength.

I’m currently doing push press, because I could only press the 2x24 3 times before starting, not quite enough to C&P, but enough to use push press in Strong. Now I can press them x 5.

I will definitely finish off phase 1 with push press though, I’m enjoying it a lot!

Thoughts ?
If you can clean and press them for 5 I would say restart phase 1 with C&P.

Workout 10 today, 9x2. They’ve been going up comfortably, so today, I did all reps Clean and Press rather than Push Press. Made all reps with good form. I will keep doing this. If I struggle, I’ll just push press them. The strength just keeps ticking over!

I also tried the hammer style grip, that Geoff mentions in his videos. Basically no V in the handle position. Much less rotation needed to catch the clean. Feels more efficient.

Last edited:

Thoughts ?
Hi, how are you?

So you could press it 3 times but were hesitant to go all in on STRONG and decided to do Clean and Push Press. After only 3 weeks or so of Phase 1 you’re comfortable with pressing same weight 5 times. I’d continue to do what you’re doing as you’re getting stronger. 3 weeks, moved from 3 reps to 5 reps. When was the last time you got stronger in such a short span of time?

Why do you want to abandon something that gives you results? In my opinion carry on and continue to build that base. Clean & Press, Clean & Push Press, Clean & Jerk - all are working your whole body. I know some people that would love to go into deep analysis how in a long run Press vs. Push Press will affect you. You’re doing program for Strength and you’re getting stronger my dear friend. Keep it that way and discover this whole body exercise. Don’t hesitate or doubt yourself, do what you planned for and execute it.

If you plan doing Phase 2: Slow & Steady then you can always start few sets with Press and fall back on Push Press if things get hairy.

Hi, how are you?

So you could press it 3 times but were hesitant to go all in on STRONG and decided to do Clean and Push Press. After only 3 weeks or so of Phase 1 you’re comfortable with pressing same weight 5 times. I’d continue to do what you’re doing as you’re getting stronger. 3 weeks, moved from 3 reps to 5 reps. When was the last time you got stronger in such a short span of time?
It’s been awesome! I had similar results rep wise with The Giant
Why do you want to abandon something that gives you results? In my opinion carry on and continue to build that base. Clean & Press, Clean & Push Press, Clean & Jerk - all are working your whole body. I know some people that would love to go into deep analysis how in a long run Press vs. Push Press will affect you. You’re doing program for Strength and you’re getting stronger my dear friend. Keep it that way and discover this whole body exercise. Don’t hesitate or doubt yourself, do what you planned for and execute it.
I’m definitely sticking with Strong, too good not to
If you plan doing Phase 2: Slow & Steady then you can always start few sets with Press and fall back on Push Press if things get hairy.
I think I will do this exactly, much appreciated mate

Hi, how are you?

I agree with the sentiment of finishing what you've started but, as @Halfakneecap said, his goal is to press more. Why delay that pursuit?
He's not abandoning the programme (that has delivered for him) per se, just restarting it with his preferred target as the focus; the press.

I agree with the sentiment of finishing what you've started but, as @Halfakneecap said, his goal is to press more. Why delay that pursuit?
He's not abandoning the programme (that has delivered for him) per se, just restarting it with his preferred target as the focus; the press.
I was thinking of continuing where I’m at so far in Strong, but just doing C&P instead of push press? Sound ok?

Finished Day 22, Day 23 will most likely be a very easy day on Wednesday, and I will test my RM (Day 24) most likely on Saturday or Sunday. I was a little nervous how today would go as I have been most using the kettlebells at the gym I work at, and they are different shaped than mine (and have an enamel coat ... and I have no idea how close their listed weight is to their actual weight). I was pleased with how today went.

Here is first set / last set. I was taking about 4 min rest between sets. I love the progress my press has made in 8 weeks, and that it is an easy program to keep up with even if things get really busy. My two biggest struggles have been to 1) not race the clock and 2) only doing C&P.

I was thinking of continuing where I’m at so far in Strong, but just doing C&P instead of push press? Sound ok?
It sounds fine!!
I'm always worrying about losing momentum so my perspective was that the volume and reps might catch up on you.
But go for it, what can you lose?

It sounds fine!!
I'm always worrying about losing momentum so my perspective was that the volume and reps might catch up on you.
But go for it, what can you lose?
Yep, if I struggle with C&P I’ll switch to push press. I’m confident I will be able to finish Strong phase 1 with C&P though.

10x1 all C&P today.

I swear, C&P is a double whammy, strength goes up, but it definitely has an impact on work capacity. When I started Strong a month ago, 10x1 push press I needed a good minute to catch my breath between each rep. This afternoon, I did C&P for all the reps in cluster style sets. All single reps, with a clean for each rep, but the first 3 I only needed a few breaths rest between each rep, rested a good minute, then another 3 quick reps. Then 2, then 2

10x1 all C&P today.

I swear, C&P is a double whammy, strength goes up, but it definitely has an impact on work capacity. When I started Strong a month ago, 10x1 push press I needed a good minute to catch my breath between each rep. This afternoon, I did C&P for all the reps in cluster style sets. All single reps, with a clean for each rep, but the first 3 I only needed a few breaths rest between each rep, rested a good minute, then another 3 quick reps. Then 2, then 2
Great job dude!

Back
Top Bottom