all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Week 4 of Phase 2 is OVER!! Let me just say that things are starting to get REAL!
I am no longer able to do my sets OTM. I am ok with that. I am resting about a minute between sets. It is a good intensity for me.

Let me say how grateful I am for this program.

I moved homes this week. AND I KEPT TO MY WORKOUT SCHEDULE!! I have NEVER been able to stick with a program during major changes in my life. I end up skipping my training thinking I will get back to my program when things settle down. Fast forward into the future (sometimes 6 months, sometimes a year, sometimes longer) and I am not working out with the same (or any) intensity that I had before the major life event.

No matter how chaotic the last couple of months have been (the move, preparing to move, selling my home, buying a home, and travel for work) Strong! has always found a place in my week. Strong! has been my refuge where I can have some time to myself even when things are weird.

Thanks to Geoff Neupert and the rest of you on this thread for keeping me on course!

Today was end of Phase 1 and my test day. Squeezed 8 reps in with my previous 5RM.

Amazing stuff !! 5 to 8 is a big jump. I saw similar gains with 28s when I ran this. 4-5 pre-phase 1 and 8 post-phase 1. Nursing a back injury right now but once that is done I plan on picking up the double 32s for a phase 1 run, hoping to see similar gains !!

PS - Kids come in just at the 'right' moment and then you try to respond while matching with your breathing ;) This reminded me of the time my daughter came in while I was in the middle of a 40kg TGU .. this was like 2nd or 3rd time I was doing the 40kg TGU and something i was not fully comfortable with. lol.

I was thinking of continuing where I’m at so far in Strong, but just doing C&P instead of push press? Sound ok?
If you can do that and feel comfortable, then do so. I don’t see any value, in your situation in restarting things. Seems you have it all under control and don’t doubt yourself. Keen on reading how far it got you. Maybe in certain scenarios one can overload and start this program with 2 rep max on press and do initial 4 weeks with C&J and then slowly fall back on Press. Would be curious to know what’s your number on #24 at the end of phase 1.

Well, I have been getting beaten up by phase 2 of Strong lately....the heavy days. I toyed with dropping back to a Monday/Thursday training schedule but instead if that I "allowed" myself a little extra rest between worksets. I used 2.5 to 3 minutes between worksets and frankly i could finish stronger. My heart rate was still darned high too! I'm going to continue doing this on the heavy days (5's/6's). I'm gettin old but still going to give it a fight!!

From being a "student" of Geoff's for many years I have come to know he says "Go when you can safely do so which isn't necessarily when you want to"........I'm just not able to handle 2 minutes or less at this point on the heavy volume days.

John Grahill I really appreciate you sharing your experience with GN's programs. Your posts are inspiring and informative.

Today's post was particularly informative and timely. Today was my first day of 5 rep sets.

Next time I give Strong a go, I think I'll try to give myself the leeway to allow longer rests between sets in Phase 2. Maybe that can be my autoregulation in Strong!

Next time I give Strong a go, I think I'll try to give myself the leeway to allow longer rests between sets in Phase 2. Maybe that can be my autoregulation in Strong!
Wise decision

You can always repeat a block (for strong read as 3-6 sessions) to focus on dialing in technique and or challenging yourself by shortening rest periods

If I’m getting stronger I don’t care how much rest I need haha. Seriously though, those high rep sets ( 5+ ) with decent weight bells look very hard. I think rest periods need a scale, if it’s the first time doing high reps with heavy weight, take more time.

Well, I have been getting beaten up by phase 2 of Strong lately....the heavy days. I toyed with dropping back to a Monday/Thursday training schedule but instead if that I "allowed" myself a little extra rest between worksets. I used 2.5 to 3 minutes between worksets and frankly i could finish stronger. My heart rate was still darned high too! I'm going to continue doing this on the heavy days (5's/6's). I'm gettin old but still going to give it a fight!!

From being a "student" of Geoff's for many years I have come to know he says "Go when you can safely do so which isn't necessarily when you want to"........I'm just not able to handle 2 minutes or less at this point on the heavy volume days.
Me too John at 63 years young. I go when I know I can complete the set with great technique. Its working as I am getting stronger!

I believe we had private exchange somewhere back in Oct ‘21 about my approach to Phase 3 and how I had to scale it down to every third day to avoid crashing. Dropping from three to two or every third day always provides me with ability to get most of my work. Usual triangle of volume, intensity and recovery. At our age, we can’t have everything…LOL. Here’s the thing I was wondering about for a while, perhaps someone tried it already (All with the same weight that is required for Strong):
1. Do Phase 1 of STRONG
2. Followed by GIANT 3.0 (should solidify gains of Ph1 STRONG)
3. Followed by Phase 2 Slow & Steady of STRONG
4. Followed by Phase 2 Short Course of STRONG (should be manageable cuz Slow & Steady)
5. Followed by Giant 1.0 (to solidify what was gained and prep for below)
6. Followed by Phase 3 of STRONG
7. Followed by Giant 2.0
8. Followed by Giant 1.1
9. Followed by Giant 1.2

That’s 57 weeks of work. Do you see any shortcomings of such approach?

I believe we had private exchange somewhere back in Oct ‘21 about my approach to Phase 3 and how I had to scale it down to every third day to avoid crashing. Dropping from three to two or every third day always provides me with ability to get most of my work. Usual triangle of volume, intensity and recovery. At our age, we can’t have everything…LOL. Here’s the thing I was wondering about for a while, perhaps someone tried it already (All with the same weight that is required for Strong):
1. Do Phase 1 of STRONG
4. Followed by Phase 2 Short Course of STRONG (should be manageable cuz Slow & Steady)
7. Followed by Giant 2.0
8. Followed by Giant 1.1
9. Followed by Giant 1.2

For me personally, I like it!

1. Do Phase 1 of STRONG
7. Followed by Giant 2.0
8. Followed by Giant 1.1
9. Followed by Giant 1.2

I think Strong, and Giant are great to go back and forth from. Very complementary

Ok, so today I did my medium volume day for the Slow and Steady. Wednesday during my heavy volume day I extended the rests between sets to like 2.5 to 2.75 minutes and I finished as "comfortably" as is possible. It actually had a carryover to today as I needed more than 80 seconds rest between only 2 sets out of 10. That's a win in my book! Whole session was done in 22 minutes and NO, NO, NO ..... I couldn't do squats pullups, calf raises, etc. I'm exhausted!

I finished Week 5 of Phase 2 of Strong!.

I feel really good. The sets of 4 are invigorating!

I have some work related travel this week so I will begin my Week 6 on Sunday rather than Monday. I will be home on Wednesday so back to my regular schedule.

Back
Top Bottom