all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

W16 of 24 done. Sets of 3 for me are doable but my conditioning is average. I planned on doing phase 2, but I think I need some conditioning. Bumped into a relative who recently lost weight and got into good enough shape to spend 6 weeks surfing in Indonesia. Got me inspired to at least get back into surfing again.

I’m thinking either dry fighting weight, a swing/getup/goblet squat circuit from KB express or maybe even The Wolf, although I can only do single arm half snatches ( haven’t quite got the hang of the drop yet ). I suspect the Wolf may kill me in my current shape though.
The Wolf is killer. I did Wolf this past Spring before we went on vacation. Every day I was asking myself “why do I have to torture myself”. I hope you have some light pairs because you will likely have to drop several bell sizes.
I did phase 1 & 2 slow and steady of Strong with a pair of 28’s, then repeated phase 2 short course before doing Wolf.
I could use 24’s on most sets day 1 and day 2. Day 3 I definitely had to drop to 20’s and it still rough.

I planned on doing phase 2, but I think I need some conditioning.
Isn't Phase 3 of Strong! the conditioning portion of the program?

Also, I think (though you didn't ask) you should carry on with Strong!. Phase 2 is worth your time. The higher rep sets are challenging.

You can work on your conditioning in Phase 2 by being strict with your rest periods. I am working on keeping my rest between sets to the minimum. On the three reps set days I'm doing the sets OTM. For the 4 and 5 set days I am resting one minute between sets. When I bump up to the sets of 6, I plan to do the 4 rep days OTM.

Hmm well the Wolf is definitely out for now haha. Phase 2 with slowly decreasing rest times might be better.

OR, I was just looking over it, anyone done both Strong and The one? I thought I could just do single KB 2H swings and spread the progression out so that I did each step of the progression 3 times before decreasing rest times, so it would basically last as long as phase 2. Then on Strong days, I’d just rest as needed. Regular swings definitely increase my conditioning.

At the moment, I can do Strong after a days rest, with no recovery issues. I usually do 3 times a week.

That’d be 6 months of swings and C&P! 10 sets of 6 reps haha, seems crazy, but 7x3 seemed crazy a few weeks ago and I got through it yesterday ok, with only a little huffing and puffing.

Last edited:
I'm late to this party, but I read this thread and wanted to point out something a bit different, namely that the STRONG videos are a seminar in coaching. Sure, there were new tips and drills that will help me, esp. with the clean and jerk. But I really appreciated it as an instructional video in how to coach and work with athletes, in this case an elite athlete.

I'm not surprised that the analysis of Tim's efforts was crisp and on point, but I was impressed by how efficient Geoff was with the verbiage. That's deceptively difficult. So as an old coach, this was a twofer for me. Props. I'll go back and watch much of it again, just to think about coaching technique.

Hmm well the Wolf is definitely out for now haha. Phase 2 with slowly decreasing rest times might be better.

OR, I was just looking over it, anyone done both Strong and The one? I thought I could just do single KB 2H swings and spread the progression out so that I did each step of the progression 3 times before decreasing rest times, so it would basically last as long as phase 2. Then on Strong days, I’d just rest as needed. Regular swings definitely increase my conditioning.

At the moment, I can do Strong after a days rest, with no recovery issues. I usually do 3 times a week.

That’d be 6 months of swings and C&P! 10 sets of 6 reps haha, seems crazy, but 7x3 seemed crazy a few weeks ago and I got through it yesterday ok, with only a little huffing and puffing.

A great idea but here's a better one
Strong + swing hard 1.0 or 1.1

Your recovery must be really good. I can't handle 3 sessions a week of Strong. I feel either very hungry or drained out, so I've started limiting them to 2 sessions a week. And sometimes I just take a week off in between !

Your recovery must be really good. I can't handle 3 sessions a week of Strong. I feel either very hungry or drained out, so I've started limiting them to 2 sessions a week. And sometimes I just take a week off in between !
I generally plan to go 2 days of rest but I can do one day rest if I need to depending on my work schedule. I eat a lot too haha.

Are your bells heavy? I am only doing 24’s, I don’t know how the other people in this thread are doing 32’s and above!

I generally plan to go 2 days of rest but I can do one day rest if I need to depending on my work schedule. I eat a lot too haha.

Are your bells heavy? I am only doing 24’s, I don’t know how the other people in this thread are doing 32’s and above!
I am working with 2x32s now. This is a lot for me, but in general its not a lot for many on this forum :) I recently saw @SvenRieger post on FB RM with 2x40s. So ... my suggestion is to not compare with anyone but where you are today ;)

I did Ph1 with 2x28s comfortably. Literally every other day, with little to no rest. But had to stop Ph2 after I reprioritized my focus to get through SFG1. During my SFG1 prep I did get stronger and was able to get my 2x32s to a 4RM, so decided to start Ph1. I might get get back to 2x28s after Ph1 with 2x32s and run the Ph2 (quick version) with the 2x28s. So what I've realized is that I have never consolidated the gains I had with 2x28, if one goes through with the Ph2 slow and steady, one consolidates the gains at that weight. So I kinda jumped the gun and went with 2x32s !

Hey all,

I'm currently in week 5 of phase 1 with a pair of 24s. So far everything is good, and I'm very happy with the program.

I have a quick question re foot position. I'm noticing that my feet lean more to their sides when the bells are in the bottom position right before I clean them back up. I've experimented with keeping them straight, slightly angled, and a wider stance. Sometimes they're flat, and other times they slip into that habit. I reread the Strong! book and saw this briefly mentioned in a sidebar about loading the foot. Should I just continue working on it and stay aware of the problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey all,

I'm currently in week 5 of phase 1 with a pair of 24s. So far everything is good, and I'm very happy with the program.

I have a quick question re foot position. I'm noticing that my feet lean more to their sides when the bells are in the bottom position right before I clean them back up. I've experimented with keeping them straight, slightly angled, and a wider stance. Sometimes they're flat, and other times they slip into that habit. I reread the Strong! book and saw this briefly mentioned in a sidebar about loading the foot. Should I just continue working on it and stay aware of the problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Have you considered the points in the Common Front Squat Mistakes section as well?

I am working with 2x32s now. This is a lot for me, but in general its not a lot for many on this forum :) I recently saw @SvenRieger post on FB RM with 2x40s. So ... my suggestion is to not compare with anyone but where you are today ;)

I did Ph1 with 2x28s comfortably. Literally every other day, with little to no rest. But had to stop Ph2 after I reprioritized my focus to get through SFG1. During my SFG1 prep I did get stronger and was able to get my 2x32s to a 4RM, so decided to start Ph1. I might get get back to 2x28s after Ph1 with 2x32s and run the Ph2 (quick version) with the 2x28s. So what I've realized is that I have never consolidated the gains I had with 2x28, if one goes through with the Ph2 slow and steady, one consolidates the gains at that weight. So I kinda jumped the gun and went with 2x32s !
You'll rock those 32s! I am currently getting my butt kicked in phase 2.....I thought was age but i found my notes from 2015 and the same feeling hit me at tge same time through the slow and steady! Just 1 more month to go!

And don’t forget Strong phase 3 for conditioning.
To be honest, I just didn’t have it in me after 1&2 slow and steady followed by phase 2 short coarse. Thinking of it now though, I might go back and go straight to phase three with the 28’s after I finish a couple Giant cycles with the single 32kg. Currently I’m in week three of Giant 3.0.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Even if I start with feet straight, after I’ve racked the bells I have some angle with them. I reset before the next clean, when I remember haha

Anyone get tightness where the pec goes into the shoulder from lots of C&P ? I always do halos and band dislocates but last week or so I’ve got a tightness right where my pec goes into my shoulder. Doesn’t really affect C&P, it shows up more in pushing movements like pushing up from the floor in a push-up?

Doing lots of trigger ball of my pec, definitely tight

Done with Week 8 Phase 2 Slow and Steady! HALF DONE WITH PHASE 2!

What a great session today. (Sets of 4.) I have been disciplined with trying to keep my rest times between sets to the minimum amount of time I need to recover. When I was about to start the session, my Pandora feed played Black Flag's Rise Above. The song motivated me to try the sets of 4 OTM. I did it! Every rep with good form. I feel like a BOSS!

I have a vacation next week. My bells are packed up and ready to go. BRING ON WEEK 9 !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom