all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Week 9 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is over!

I kept this week's sets of 3 and 4 to OTM. The sets of 5 were done with one minute of rest between sets. As I've said before, I'm trying to keep disciplined about my rest periods between sets. I want to be ready for the rigor of Phase 3.

I'm on vacation in Northern Michigan this week. I brought my KBs with me. I got all of my lifts done. I am proud of me.

We've had good weather for the last two days. But the morning grass has been too dewy to lift outside. I'd rather not be coated in dew and grass clippings after my Strong! session.

I went for a SCUBA dive yesterday. I really enjoyed it.

Week 9 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is over!

I kept this week's sets of 3 and 4 to OTM. The sets of 5 were done with one minute of rest between sets. As I've said before, I'm trying to keep disciplined about my rest periods between sets. I want to be ready for the rigor of Phase 3.

I'm on vacation in Northern Michigan this week. I brought my KBs with me. I got all of my lifts done. I am proud of me.

We've had good weather for the last two days. But the morning grass has been too dewy to lift outside. I'd rather not be coated in dew and grass clippings after my Strong! session.

I went for a SCUBA dive yesterday. I really enjoyed it.
Man that’s awesome! I take mine on vacation too. Great job!

I definitely don’t think it will be easy. My plan when I start phase 2, is 2 days a week Strong. Mon and Fri, and Swing hard on Wed. If it goes alright, after a few weeks I may add a 2nd day of swing hard on the weekend, but only if I’m feeling good.
Well, it’s definitely going to be once a week until I get used to regular swings again. My hamstrings are not happy with me today at all haha

I have 3 sessions to go then the rep max to Finish phase 1.

Do you guys have a break between phase 1 and 2 or just head straight into phase 2? I’m guessing a few days off after the rep max but otherwise, should I just go straight into it ?

Thanks guys. I’ve been looking at the sets and reps. Daunting, but like phase 1, just slowly builds. Im dropping to twice a week, with Swing hard 3.0 in between.

Done with Week 10 of Phase 2: Slow and Steady!

This was a great week. The reps are definitely getting challenging (and rewarding). I am still trying to be disciplined with my rest between sets. I want to be positioned to succeed when I get to Phase 3. I am keeping the sets of 4 to OTM. 1 minute of rest for the sets of 5. 2 minutes of rest for the sets of 6. I feel like I needed the two minutes of rest for the sets of 6. My form was good. I am not sure that I would have been able to do the reps with good form if I rested for a shorter period of time.

A little observation I have made while doing Strong! and some other Geoff Neupert's programs, follow his recommendations for the bell to select for a program. (example the 4-5 RM bell for Strong!) Don't let your ego get in the way and try to do his programs with the bell you aspire to use for the program, use the bell that your pre-program test tells you to use. When I was in Phase 1 of Strong! I thought I might be under belled with the 2x24kbs. But I decided to trust in Geoff and push on with the 24k bells rather than move up to 28k bells. I am very glad I decided to stay with the bells I tested at. Today's session of 6 reps was challenging but NOT impossible. I felt a huge sense of satisfaction that I was able to bang out reps of 6 for multiple sets. This is something that I could not do in April.

TLDR: Trust in Geoff when you select your bells.

Done with Week 10 of Phase 2: Slow and Steady!

This was a great week. The reps are definitely getting challenging (and rewarding). I am still trying to be disciplined with my rest between sets. I want to be positioned to succeed when I get to Phase 3. I am keeping the sets of 4 to OTM. 1 minute of rest for the sets of 5. 2 minutes of rest for the sets of 6. I feel like I needed the two minutes of rest for the sets of 6. My form was good. I am not sure that I would have been able to do the reps with good form if I rested for a shorter period of time.

A little observation I have made while doing Strong! and some other Geoff Neupert's programs, follow his recommendations for the bell to select for a program. (example the 4-5 RM bell for Strong!) Don't let your ego get in the way and try to do his programs with the bell you aspire to use for the program, use the bell that your pre-program test tells you to use. When I was in Phase 1 of Strong! I thought I might be under belled with the 2x24kbs. But I decided to trust in Geoff and push on with the 24k bells rather than move up to 28k bells. I am very glad I decided to stay with the bells I tested at. Today's session of 6 reps was challenging but NOT impossible. I felt a huge sense of satisfaction that I was able to bang out reps of 6 for multiple sets. This is something that I could not do in April.

TLDR: Trust in Geoff when you select your bells.
You’re doing great on your rest periods.
This is also from a Geoff email last year sometime; when training type 2x fibers (which we are mostly these programs), a work/rest ratio of 1:5-10. Higher effort=higher rest usually/heavier load=longer rest usually.
Mine were about in the middle of that once I got into the 4,5,6 rep range.
Type 2a fibers generally a 1:2-3 work/rest based on weight and efforts.
2a use lots of energy and fatigue quickly.
2b are glucose (sugar) dependent and used in sprints, hammer throws, discus, OLY lifts, power lifts, squats, press, cleans, snatch.
At least that’s what I think I understood from an email of the past from Geoff.

You’re doing great on your rest periods.
This is also from a Geoff email last year sometime; when training type 2x fibers (which we are mostly these programs), a work/rest ratio of 1:5-10. Higher effort=higher rest usually/heavier load=longer rest usually.
Mine were about in the middle of that once I got into the 4,5,6 rep range.
Type 2a fibers generally a 1:2-3 work/rest based on weight and efforts.
2a use lots of energy and fatigue quickly.
2b are glucose (sugar) dependent and used in sprints, hammer throws, discus, OLY lifts, power lifts, squats, press, cleans, snatch.
At least that’s what I think I understood from an email of the past from Geoff.
What a great post! Thank you!

I’ve only just started looking at rest periods, and I’m a few workouts from finishing Strong phase 1. I’m going to err on the side of more rest from the start. I can’t believe I’ll actually be able to do a set of 6. My upcoming rep max test should be interesting. Next session is 10x3, the most reps of phase 1. I’m confident I’ll get them all.

I'm also not trying to feel anxious over my rest periods, which are around 3-4 mins (I just started introducing sets of 5 in Phase 2). I also started to do rocking and head nods from OS Pressing Reset between sets and it really helps with rep quality, and it feels really good.

A little observation I have made while doing Strong! and some other Geoff Neupert's programs, follow his recommendations for the bell to select for a program. (example the 4-5 RM bell for Strong!) Don't let your ego get in the way and try to do his programs with the bell you aspire to use for the program, use the bell that your pre-program test tells you to use.

Good advice. I was kind of between 28 and 32kg... I could do 8 reps of 28 and only 2-3 of 32. So I thought it might be interesting to run through Strong using Thrusters instead of press.

I'm up to the 5x5 of Phase 2. Kinda fearful of going over 4 reps because adding the squat rep seems to add significant time to the time under tension. But will see how it goes tomorrow. I definitely feel worked out at the end of 4x10.

I’ve just finished the 3rd session of week 2. Weird timing I know. I just thought I’d chip in with how it’s going.

I started the first week, and because I am who I am, decided that I was going to giant set c&p with squats and pull ups. I then decided I was going to do some complexes to finish off.

I quickly learned that this wasn’t a good idea.

Im running through strong with 32s, which are pretty heavy. I probably could have gone through it using 28s, but I don’t have any and I already owned a single 32 so I thought I might as well just buy another.

With all the extra unnecessary volume I was doing, I started to get a little bit of an ache in my elbows, so I’ve dropped the complexes.

I’m still going to keep the squats and pull ups because I’m a bit of a gym bro at heart and I’m not really to go full minimalist, but I’m going to complete all my c&p and finish with the accessories if I have the time/energy.

If I get to the end of the first phase and keep the rest between c&p sets to 2 minutes I’ll be extremely happy with myself. I’m loving the programme because I can literally just go into the back yard and crack on with it, I know exactly what weights I’m going to use, the exact sets and reps. It feels like the volume creeps up so slowly that it’ll be borderline impossible to not make progress.

It’ll be interesting to see what I look like at the end of the 3 phases

Back
Top Bottom