all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Just chipping in with my progress.

Ive just completed week 7, 8x3 c+p with 2:30 rest using 2x32s, and 8x3 squats with 2x32s and a 20kg vest. All felt good, my first set felt as strong as my last (if not better).

Loving the progress so far
Edit: week 6

Ive just completed week 7, 8x3 c+p with 2:30 rest using 2x32s, and 8x3 squats with 2x32s and a 20kg vest. All felt good, my first set felt as strong as my last (if not better).

So, you do C&P, then squats with 84kg x 8x3 ?!? Hulk smash!!

Does anyone else do other strength stuff after doing their Strong workouts?

I’ve done hardly any squatting this year and would like to do some but I don’t want to interfere with kb Strong.

Not so much for strength, but just because squatting is a great movement and I always feel good when I squat regularly.

I’ve got plenty of time at the gym to do something else before I leave for work, and I’m really not keen on the treadmill haha

I’ve done hardly any squatting this year and would like to do some but I don’t want to interfere with kb Strong.

Not so much for strength, but just because squatting is a great movement and I always feel good when I squat regularly.

I’ve got plenty of time at the gym to do something else before I leave for work, and I’m really not keen on the treadmill haha
I do this type of squats, two times a week. I am currently finishing my 1 st phase of strong...

Chipping in with my progress as well. I made it to workout 20 of P2 Slow and steady and realized that this was getting very hard and I had to take waaay longer rest periods than before to finish. It turned out that I missed workouts 13,16 and 19 because I assumed that the programming would continue as before. I know this might be quite unclear but I'm trying to not give the program away haha.

In addition I took a 2 week vacation so all my activity was loads of leisurely walking and my diet was in vacation mode (cafe -> aperitivo -> pizza and wine -> gelato).

Now that I'm back I decided to ease in by doing the missed workouts first before jumping back on track. I thought it would be easy but the first workout of triples was the hardest one in Strong! so far. I'm looking forward for my strength to pick up again.

Yes I did double FSQ with the pair of 28s (the weight I was running the press program with), in a 5 x 5 format.

I also did one handed swings with the 48kg. I had worked hard to get a solid swing with The Beast and didn't want to lose it. Done Simple and Sinister style but with lower volume, between 40 and 80 reps total, depending on how I was feeling.

The above two exercises were done in an alternating fashion post the cleans and presses, so on a Monday it might be squats, Wednesday swings, back to squats again on Friday.

Sorry, just completed week 6 I should say

So, you do C&P, then squats with 84kg x 8x3 ?!? Hulk smash!!
Haha yeah, my legs have always been stronger than my upper body so I haven’t found it too difficult.
I did try to switch the sets and reps for squats for a couple of sessions, 2 sets of 10 instead of 10 sets of 2 for example, but it was brutal, I don’t think I could have kept it up

I’m very cautious about adding to Strong. Though I think my work capacity has increased, as I’ve been doing Giant and Strong all year, and I feel like I do have energy to do something else.

Today was sets of 4 in phase 2, and after I did 3 slow getups each side (24)and the Cook drill. I’ll keep an eye on recovery and continue if all is ok.

Im currently doing Strong ph2 twice a week, with a 3rd day of either Swing hard, or getups and the Cook drill.

When I get to the higher volume sets, I will just revert back to Strong only if I feel recovery is affected

I'm doing Strong with Double Kettlebell Front Squat, and a couple months ago I started feeling my left shoulder. I went to physical therapy and then started adding shoulder exercises by the physical therapist's recommendations. To be honest, it feels great :)

After warm-up and the Strong session, I'm doing 2 sets of YTW, 3 sets of unsupported rows, and 3 sets of dumbbell lateral raises. It doesn't seem to interfere at all with the squats, unless by the fact that the shoulder pain is fading away.

I was doing 5x5 front squats after each session, but that started getting too much with the high volume days in phase 2. So after this week, I’m going to try one day a week of barbell back squats with one of the barbell bolt-on templates.

I'm doing Strong with Double Kettlebell Front Squat, and a couple months ago I started feeling my left shoulder. I went to physical therapy and then started adding shoulder exercises by the physical therapist's recommendations. To be honest, it feels great :)

After warm-up and the Strong session, I'm doing 2 sets of YTW, 3 sets of unsupported rows, and 3 sets of dumbbell lateral raises. It doesn't seem to interfere at all with the squats, unless by the fact that the shoulder pain is fading away.
Awesome mate! I definitely want to do strong with dkbfs. My squat sucks now. It’s going to suck having to drop right down in weight but it will be worth it in the end.

I was doing 5x5 front squats after each session, but that started getting too much with the high volume days in phase 2. So after this week, I’m going to try one day a week of barbell back squats with one of the barbell bolt-on templates.
Know what you mean, definitely worth adjusting any assistance exercises based on the volume of C&P on a given day.

Know what you mean, definitely worth adjusting any assistance exercises based on the volume of C&P on a given day.
Having read the following article yesterday doesn't adjusting the accessory volume on a given day fall into 'intuitive' programming trap 4?

4. Not doing the math

Or have I misinterpreted the advice?

Week 15 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is over!

All of Phase 2 was building to today's lifts! The lifts went up strong and with good form. I rested two minutes between sets. I am so proud of me! The sets of six seemed like they would be impossible when I was in Phase 1. The sets of 6 ARE possible and I CAN do them!

I have a question. For next week's test day---I was thinking about doing my rep max test with 2x28k bells rather than the 2x24k bells I have using for Strong. I banged out 10 reps with the 2x24k bells and 2 reps with 2x28k bells at the end of Phase 1. Do you think there would be any harm in testing the 28k bells? I want to use them for the Giant in the New Year. I am curious to see how many reps I can do.

Last edited:
Week 15 Phase 2: Slow and Steady is over!

All of Phase 2 was building to today's lifts! The lifts went up strong and with good form. I rested two minutes between sets. I am so proud of me! The sets of six seemed like they would be impossible when I was in Phase 1. The sets of 6 ARE possible and I CAN do them!

I have a question. For next week's test day---I was thinking about doing my rep max test with 2x28k bells rather than the 2x24k bells I have using for Strong. I banged out 10 reps with the 2x24k bells and 2 reps with 2x28k bells at the end of Phase 1. Do you think there would be any harm in testing the 28k bells? I want to use them for the Giant in the New Year. I am curious to see how many reps I can do.
Awesome work mate!

Do it! If you can do 10@2x24 and you are planning on using 2x28 for Giant, i say do it! You’ve built the strength to move up.

How did you go doing Phase 2 3 times a week? Did you do Monday Wednesday Friday? I’m doing phase 2 now but twice a week, as my gym days are Mon Wednesday Friday so not sure I’d handle the high rep weeks with only a days rest between. But, my work capacity has definitely gone up from the start of the year

Awesome work mate!

Do it! If you can do 10@2x24 and you are planning on using 2x28 for Giant, i say do it! You’ve built the strength to move up.

How did you go doing Phase 2 3 times a week? Did you do Monday Wednesday Friday? I’m doing phase 2 now but twice a week, as my gym days are Mon Wednesday Friday so not sure I’d handle the high rep weeks with only a days rest between. But, my work capacity has definitely gone up from the start of the year
Thanks! I have appreciated your support here on the Forum. I have decided to use the 2x28k bells on Friday's test day.

My training days are Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I have not had a problem with recovery. Geoff Neupert has designed Strong to be a 3 day week program. The structure is working for me. In fact in the past, if I wasn't working out everyday, (doing something) it became a free day. Then an excuse to skip a workout and then eventually quit a program. I have had a lot major changes in my life during Strong and I able to keep going. I am very grateful that Strong has been there for me during this time.

Thanks! I have appreciated your support here on the Forum. I have decided to use the 2x28k bells on Friday's test day.

My training days are Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I have not had a problem with recovery. Geoff Neupert has designed Strong to be a 3 day week program. The structure is working for me. In fact in the past, if I wasn't working out everyday, (doing something) it became a free day. Then an excuse to skip a workout and then eventually quit a program. I have had a lot major changes in my life during Strong and I able to keep going. I am very grateful that Strong has been there for me during this time.
Lots of support here in this thread definitely, thanks for yours also!. I think you’ll be fine with the bigger bells mate.

I think I might give the M,W,F a go. At worst I’ll drop back to 2 days a week. Ive been surprised at how the sets of 4 have been hard, but not so hard I can’t finish them. Strong is awesome.

Lots of support here in this thread definitely, thanks for yours also!. I think you’ll be fine with the bigger bells mate.

I think I might give the M,W,F a go. At worst I’ll drop back to 2 days a week. Ive been surprised at how the sets of 4 have been hard, but not so hard I can’t finish them. Strong is awesome.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your progress in Phase 2.

The lifts for me have been challenging but not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom