all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

OK, I have those as well. I thought you were mentioning a specific ab circuit. I'm only spending 5-10 minutes on abs as well. Which actually feels very effective combined with C&zł
I’m doing them in circuit fashion to have abs exercises out of the way as quickly as I can while still challenging and working it. Exercise 1, rest 1 minute, exercise 2, rest 1 minute, exercise 3, rest 1 minute and repeat.
Sorry if I mislead or want clearer in one of my previous posts.

Reactions: DC3
Hi there! I need your advice. Since I started phase 3 I am not being able to finish the workouts. In the first workout I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last series (10x6 120s rest). In the second workout (110s rest) things went worst, I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last two series. Yesterday as expected things went worst (100s rest). I did the five first series ok, but after that I was able to do only three series more of 5 and the last two of 4 reps.

What strategy should I follow, may I keep going and do what I can or should I restart the phase or adjust the resting times starting with a rest time of lets say 150 s?
Hi Henda! How are you?

What you’ve described makes me assume that you were already finishing Phase 2 running on empty and you’ve started Phase 3 tired and spent.

Geoff stated in his book that Phase 2 (regardless if short course or slow & steady) should be done with 60-120 secs of rest between sets. Were you taking longer breaks? If that’s the case then now you’re paying the price for it

if not....you’re stating that you have a problem with “finishing the reps”. I assume you’re referring to the fact that Press is “no go”. Are you “muscling up” your cleans with your arms and not generating enough power from lower body? Might that be the reason why you’re tired at the end?

I can’t comment on strategy over here as Geoff and few others can give you that but few things to consider and think about when you’ll be discussing this stuff with them offline or via direct messages:

1. One whole week of rest to recover, clean up your clean technique and attempt phase 3 again;

2. Go heavier and swap presses with Jerks (at the end it is conditioning segment so I doubt anyone would object to that);

3. Bastardize phase 3 at expense of not doing STRONG anymore and adapt “Slow & Steady” concept to Phase 3. Stay at each “rest time” until you can do 3 consecutive workouts, then one deload workout to introduce some “waving” and purse next “rest time” target......but you might run yourself to the ground if you’re not careful;

4. Lastly I’d swap Phase 3 and The One. As in - do ONE and get yourself strong and well conditioned a#@, grip, back, legs and then attack Phase 3 again.

again, speak with people that know more than I do.

have a great weekend!

Happy Monday everyone!

Workout #13 done. Unfortunately lost my focus while counting sets and at the end I did one extra set. 90 seconds rest between sets. All was done under 19 minutes.

I did Workout #13 today as well and felt great. I also did 3 sets of Bird Dog Crunches x15 each side and 3 sets of Reverse Crunches x15.

Interesting to see what John added here because I took even less time overall on the KB Strong portion. I finished the C&P's in about 15:30. However I'm not timing exact rest periods. I believe in this phase it was suggested to rest as needed. As a reminder these bells were a 2-3 RM for me when I started week 1. The rest and workout time was much longer in the beginning. However I am already feeling incredible with this weight and noticed a workout or two ago I finished really fast. I focused today on getting what I thought was plenty of rest between sets. I still felt great and ready to go after my final set though.

This program really does feel good.

Last edited:
@bgn That's certainly a good effort but just for advice from someone who's done Strong, I'd just get the work sets in without worrying about condensing the rest periods at this point. Enjoy the simplicity because the upcoming phase 2 will get interesting for sure!
Hey John; thanks for your reply. Not really condensing my rest periods. One C&P taken me right now around 8-10 seconds; doubles take 18 seconds (if we decide to take “average”) so work:rest ratio is 1:5 which I think is sensible. Definitely not sacrificing my “quality” and not chasing the clock, just building up consistency to ensure I have a tank when Phase 2 and 3 will come to get me :)

@Jean-Marie , @DC3 - how was your workout today.

Second time doing triples and I must admit that the longer the set lasts the easier is for me to find a rhythm and breath correctly.

Bonus today as my missus stated out of nowhere that my calves grew and are leaner than few weeks ago. I will take it.....although my eyes are up here :p

Hey,

The second workout with triples was a little bit challenging. I’m currently on a cargo ship. And when the sea gets a little rough, I really have to focus on zipping up. Some of my cleans were a little off due to that and it generally makes the following presses not so pretty.

With triples, I noticed that I have to press the bells faster to avoid too much fatigue for the last press.
I used to take a small pause in the rack just to make sure that everything is tight and to do a slow active negative. I now have to reduce those and get into another rhythm.

Overall feeling strong, and recovery is good !

Last workout of the week. #15 done. 5 weeks in and seeing great things.

Slept 9+ hrs last night and cleans were very easy today.

next week I’m going to start getting up at the same time, working out at exact same time and will adjust my eating habits (skipping breakfast, waking up around 6am, working out around 12pm, meals around 1pm and 6pm, aiming for 200gr of protein and we will see where we can get).

never thought my shoulders will be so healthy while pressing three times per week. Still amazed how good it feels.

Have a great weekend!

Last workout of the week done as well.
Felt great. Since intensity was lower, I could focus even more on being tight. Although I was already taking my time for zipping up before each press. I noticed I could squeeze some more juice by pushing even harder into the ground with my feet. Felt the bell flying afterwards.
Technique is so important. I started my Strong journey with push presses, I transitioned to strict presses with the same weights on Workout #3 by just practicing the cues.

I started the week end recovery with some stick dislocates and with a nice barbecue with the rest of the crew.
I can’t wait for Monday, I really want to own those triples as the first two workouts with them were a little bit challenging.

I’m also very happy about how my shoulders feel. I’ve had some painful moments on my right one due to heavy get ups in the past year. But it seems that slowly building up load with presses is the good way to go.

Hi there! I need your advice. Since I started phase 3 I am not being able to finish the workouts. In the first workout I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last series (10x6 120s rest). In the second workout (110s rest) things went worst, I couldn't finish the last two reps of the last two series. Yesterday as expected things went worst (100s rest). I did the five first series ok, but after that I was able to do only three series more of 5 and the last two of 4 reps.

What strategy should I follow, may I keep going and do what I can or should I restart the phase or adjust the resting times starting with a rest time of lets say 150 s?
Eventually I came up with the solution. These days I am being able to sleep more and I decided after three failed workouts of phase 3 to restart it.

I have redone those three workouts successfully, but I have simplified my warmup and I stop less in the rack position between the clean and the press.

We'll see if everything keeps going well!

Workout 15 was fantastic for me as well. I also did Bird Dog Crunches x15 es for 2 sets and a 6 minute tabata of Hollow Holds (30on/30off).

Let's talk warmup. Personally I'm just doing 5 minutes or less of Original Strength inspired movement and love it. It's basically movements that get the blood flowing into the muscles everywhere but doesn't really fatigue at all. The exact one I use I got from Geoff's Kettllebell W.O.D. You can find different variations on YouTube.

Have a great weekend guys. It's my cheat/feast day so I'm going to enjoy some pizza and a few brews with the wife. ?

Workout 15 was fantastic for me as well. I also did Bird Dog Crunches x15 es for 2 sets and a 6 minute tabata of Hollow Holds (30on/30off).

Let's talk warmup. Personally I'm just doing 5 minutes or less of Original Strength inspired movement and love it. It's basically movements that get the blood flowing into the muscles everywhere but doesn't really fatigue at all. The exact one I use I got from Geoff's Kettllebell W.O.D. You can find different variations on YouTube.

Have a great weekend guys. It's my cheat/feast day so I'm going to enjoy some pizza and a few brews with the wife. ?

At first I was doing about 10-15 minutes warmup. 3x10 abwheel, 3x10 halos with a 16kg bell and 3x10 squats with 20kg bell.

Now I only do joint mobility and one minute jumping jacks. And yes, even if it is harder to start lifting I feel fresher.

I have a question for mr @Geoff Neupert . My wife and I when we finished the 2nd phase made the test. She was able to do 15 reps with 2x10 kg bells and I did 12 reps with a pair of 20 kg bells. As the program is arriving to the end we were deciding what to do next and we thought to keep going with the program with the next bell sizes.

Here comes the problem as I am already able to c&p 5 times a pair of 24kg bells but my wife can't c&p a pair of 12 kg bells 2 times. We don't really understand the reason as she achieved best results with her bells and her bell jump is only of 2 kg. Why is this so? What could she do?

Thanks for your help!

I have a question for mr @Geoff Neupert . My wife and I when we finished the 2nd phase made the test. She was able to do 15 reps with 2x10 kg bells and I did 12 reps with a pair of 20 kg bells. As the program is arriving to the end we were deciding what to do next and we thought to keep going with the program with the next bell sizes.

Here comes the problem as I am already able to c&p 5 times a pair of 24kg bells but my wife can't c&p a pair of 12 kg bells 2 times. We don't really understand the reason as she achieved best results with her bells and her bell jump is only of 2 kg. Why is this so? What could she do?

Thanks for your help!
@Henda Obviously not Geoff, but I have done Strong more than once with various weights. You're sure your wife's RM with 10s is now 15? And that she can only get 2 reps with 12s?

Just a thought but maybe try the full cycle clean and push press for her? I got a stronger strict press from doing push presses in the past.

Just a thought.

@Henda Obviously not Geoff, but I have done Strong more than once with various weights. You're sure your wife's RM with 10s is now 15? And that she can only get 2 reps with 12s?

Just a thought but maybe try the full cycle clean and push press for her? I got a stronger strict press from doing push presses in the past.

Just a thought.
Yes, I'm sure her RM is 15 with 10s. But today I told her that Mr. Grahill is shocked about the fact. I told her that maybe it is a mental issue and I encouraged her to try again. She tried again with 12s and she's been able to do 4 good reps!
Sometimes our mental state is the key, I think she wasn't confident about her abilities.

Yes, I'm sure her RM is 15 with 10s. But today I told her that Mr. Grahill is shocked about the fact. I told her that maybe it is a mental issue and I encouraged her to try again. She tried again with 12s and she's been able to do 4 good reps!
Sometimes our mental state is the key, I think she wasn't confident about her abilities.
Congrats to you and your wife, @Henda! ?

As far as your wife is concerned, I'm sure she's good for even more.

Please make sure she's familiar with the pressing cues and that she uses them all as well.

Here we go....week #6 started...not so well as I didn't have much sleep. Went to bed after 2am and had to get up at 5:45am.

Food for the day and workout:

7:30am - 1 large black coffee, serving of Collagen (14 grams), BCAA 10 grams, 2000mg of vit. C, vit B complex and serving of Glucosamine Chondroitin.

11:30 - 10 grams of BCAA

12pm - workout #16 - I did it, although not very energetic. Had to ensure that my press is not rushed and was staying extra long in the rack. Didn't do abs today as couldn't be bothered. Sleepy.

12:30pm - 10 grams of BCAA

1pm - 2 large chicken breasts, 1 medium sweet potato and a lot of broccoli

Left with following to get into me:

4pm - 10 grams of BCAA

6pm - 1 large chicken breast, reminder of broccoli, 2 tbsp of coconut oil + serving of Omega-3 and vit. D, serving of Magnesium

(3 organic chicken breasts weighted @ 1.4 lbs before cooking)

Hopefully by 9pm I'll be sleeping like a baby.

During first 5 weeks I have been overeating, as I was afraid that I won't be able to cope with the weight so I guess ease of workouts might be contributed to very clever design and me stuffing my face with very scientific "See-Food-Diet" :)

I'll try to be more responsible right now and fuel my workouts in more mature manner.

Surprising is the fact that one of the most popular calorie tracking applications shows that I am going to eat on 1,500 calories today. Weird as I feel ok so far.

Macros breakdown as per app:

Protein: 218 grams
Net Carbs: 40 grams
Fat: 47 grams

Let us see how well I can adapt to eating healthier while getting stronger. I assume that in a few days my body will start asking for calories so maybe every two weeks after Friday's workout I will stuff my face between 1pm and 10pm?

Happy Monday everyone!

Reactions: DC3
Complete mess when it comes to sleeping pattern. Second night in a row I can't fall asleep. Last time I looked at the clock it was 3:48am and when my dogs woke me up at 5:30am I seriously didn't know what's my name. No clue what's happening but hope I can go to sleep tonight, otherwise I will probably kill myself with kettlebells tomorrow. At this stage hitting myself in a head with 'bell and fainting seems like a very tempting option.

Not much of an appetite. My significantly better other half was kind enough to make food for me so I was shoveling and trying not to think about it too much.

12pm - Lunch: huge salad (spinach, lettuce, avocado, cilantro, tomato, cucumber, mango) + 2 cans of pink salmon and 2 hard boiled eggs

6pm - will have reminder of T-Bone Steak (around 200gr/8oz) with 2 tbsp of coconut oil

Supplementing with collagen and vitamins. not taking BCAAs today.

Supposed to do abs......supposed to.....waiting for work to finish, then last meal, shower and hopefully some sleep.

Back
Top Bottom