all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

Hey bgn,

It’s funny how we are synchronized, I also started to reduce calories a bit (albeit I started last week)
1500 may feel ok for a day or two. But don’t fall in the trap to « shortcut » fat loss by reducing your calories too much. I don’t know your age, height and weight. But you’re better off making 200-300kcal adjustments and wait at least 1-2 weeks to see the results. You can also reduce them only on your non training days at first, it will lower your weekly average but you’ll have some fuel for your trainings. As we get to the end of Phase 1, I think it’s becoming more and more important to feel fresh and recovered for each workout.

Slept. I mean 6:30pm I was already gone and woke up today by myself at 5am. thats good 10 hrs. Will take it.

Workout at the same time. First set was sluggish but then it all felt right and I have managed to enjoy it. Haven't missed a single rep so far.

Supplements - same as on Monday with same timings. 40 grams of BCAA across the day (4 x 10gr). drinking a lot of water across the day.

Food:
Post workout meal - grilled chicken breast (300 gr/12oz), one large sweet potato, broccoli (225gr/10oz) and spinach (a lot)

Dinner - grilled chicken breast (300 gr/12oz), salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, green onion)

Approximating macros: 1300 kcal (Protein 240, Fat 20, Net Carbs: 55)

Food on Thu: 1940 kcal (P 152, C 130, F 81)
Food today: 2250 kcal (P 180, C 196, F 89)

End of week 6. Workout #18. Done all sets of triples without much of an issue. 2 weeks from now we will test how it translated to new rep max. Didn’t feel like checking my rest times and surprisingly I’ve done whole workout in 20 minutes, which means my rest between sets was 2m18s on average. Great that I’m starting to auto regulate in that aspect.

I had to do the workout #18 today (Saturday) due to bad weather at sea yesterday. It really felt great. The additional recovery day was welcome. I really feel comfortable doing sets of 3 now. The rhythm, the breathing pattern, all feels regular. I mostly keep doing the sets on top of two minutes from the start, it still works pretty well.

The sets of three were not that comfortable when I started with them, I am really happy now and I feel I can just be patient and trust the program. Can’t wait for phase 2 to begin.

I must confess I was doing ballistics on off days. 6 weeks of 044 actually. I’m just going to quit for now as the volume increases on the Strong program. It was manageable with good recovery drills. But this week felt amazing doing only Strong! I just do low volume body weight pull ups right after the session and it feels good right after pressing, I might as well dish them when the volume increases even more.
Overall, I feel stronger. My body comp improved. And I feel my shoulders are less prone to injuries. Great program.

Great job!

I can't remember, are the ab exercises recommended? Which exercises are you doing?
That one is an easy answer: as Pavel has said, one of the biggest an ab training mistakes is “not making every exercise an abdominal exercise.”

Hey bgn,

It’s funny how we are synchronized, I also started to reduce calories a bit (albeit I started last week)
1500 may feel ok for a day or two. But don’t fall in the trap to « shortcut » fat loss by reducing your calories too much. I don’t know your age, height and weight. But you’re better off making 200-300kcal adjustments and wait at least 1-2 weeks to see the results. You can also reduce them only on your non training days at first, it will lower your weekly average but you’ll have some fuel for your trainings. As we get to the end of Phase 1, I think it’s becoming more and more important to feel fresh and recovered for each workout.
Yes, hitting up multiple triples with a weight that was a 4-5RM is taxing and needs refueling!

Ok, here we go.
catching up with food log:
22-May: 142 P / 313 C / 132 F / 3165 kcal
23-May: 136 P / 201 C / 137 F / 2635 kcal
24-May: 234 P / 97 C / 158 F / 1730 kcal
25-May: 178 P / 323 C / 217 F / 4049 kcal
26-May: 212 P / 92 C / 87 F / 1852 kcal
27-May: 179 P / 235 C / 175 F / 3356 kcal
28-May: 252 P / 253 C / 82 F / 2853 kcal

workouts:
#19: max amount of sets for doubles - done
#20: triples - done
#21: repeat of Monday - done done done (got second shot of covid vaccine but no negative impact at all)

getting ready for next Friday.

have a good weekend guys!

So had my covid jab on Friday and still feel a little bit rough.

29-May: 0 calories.

You’ve read that correctly. Had jab at 9am on Friday and last meal at around 8pm. Started feeling really crappy around 9pm and whole Saturday was literally feeling like I had terrible flu. Didn’t eat at all until Sunday midday. So that’s around 40 hrs of water and painkillers only. All my joints are still aching terribly and whole shoulder girdle is very sore; knees are killing me as well today.

30-May: 170 P / 244 C / 107 F / 2522 kcal

I haven´t read this thread from the beginning, but shouldn´t this be in the training log section?
I don't believe so. This has become more of support and info thread on KB Strong similar to the Giant 1.0 thread and ROP support thread which have long resided here. In fact my next post is an update on my progress and a question pertaining to an upcoming workout.

Hey everyone! Hope you had a good weekend or at least better than mine.
I’m done with workout #22. Last time doing triples in Phase 1. It sucked terribly. Side effect of my vaccine is very swollen lymph node in my armpit and on the neck. Both are huge, I mean I had to use baby powder in my armpit today to relief the rubbing. I’m walking with my arms like I have “imaginary wings”. Affects my ability to have compact rack and I had a lot wider position today. Because of bells being further away I was leaking strength to press and was compensating and shortening the move. Sucked by did it. Definitely one workout that will have a steric next to it in my personal log as it was more of clean & incline press than C&P. But did it and moving on.
Food: 174 P / 98 C / 92 F / 1828 kcal (one meal today)

@John Grahill - hi John, how did you approach workout #24 your first time? Any tips or suggestions? I wanted to follow my usual warmup and then do triple with working weight, rest 5 minutes and go all in and see what’s going to happen.

@Geoff Neupert - Hi Geoff, will send you video after Friday’s workout to evidence my progress.

@John Grahill - hi John, how did you approach workout #24 your first time? Any tips or suggestions? I wanted to follow my usual warmup and then do triple with working weight, rest 5 minutes and go all in and see what’s going to
For the Strong Program I actually did 3 triples with 2 bell sizes below test weight, then 3 doubles with 1 size under test bells then 3 singles with the target bells. Didn't rush through them. Then I hit up the rep test.

For the Strong Program I actually did 3 triples with 2 bell sizes below test weight, then 3 doubles with 1 size under test bells then 3 singles with the target bells. Didn't rush through them. Then I hit up the rep test.
Thank You!

So today's workout went great. Hitting 30 reps felt fairly easy and I did so in about 21:30. I also added in a core/ab circuit of 1H carries each side, 10 Exercise ball crunches and 10 Exercise ball reverse crunches. I completed the circuit 3 times in about 10 minutes.

BGN already nailed the question I was going to ask @John Grahill as well. Thanks for the input sir. My idea was a 1-2-3 ladder of 1 bell below and then the same with my test bell. I really like your idea though. I'm excited to see how many I can pump out in one set this Friday!

Same as bgn for me. The Monday workout was not great. I did extra activities during the weekend + poor sleep. I wasn’t well recovered.

But I know that I own these triples now. I’ll just carry on with the two last workouts, eat and sleep well until then.
I’ll also try the John protocol for Friday ☺️

@bgn @DC3 what are your plans after phase 1?

I talked to @Geoff Neupert about this by email and am very tempted to carry on with slow and steady to keep the same kind of layout as phase 1. And probably transition to the Giant later on. I just love double C&P.

catching up with food log:
22-May: 142 P / 313 C / 132 F / 3165 kcal
23-May: 136 P / 201 C / 137 F / 2635 kcal
24-May: 234 P / 97 C / 158 F / 1730 kcal
25-May: 178 P / 323 C / 217 F / 4049 kcal
26-May: 212 P / 92 C / 87 F / 1852 kcal
27-May: 179 P / 235 C / 175 F / 3356 kcal
28-May: 252 P / 253 C / 82 F / 2853 kcal

workouts:
#19: max amount of sets for doubles - done
#20: triples - done
#21: repeat of Monday - done done done (got second shot of covid vaccine but no negative impact at all)

getting ready for next Friday.

have a good weekend guys
Wow when I first saw your macro tracking I thought that was the numbers of Cleans, Presses and Front-squats you had done ?

Same as bgn for me. The Monday workout was not great. I did extra activities during the weekend + poor sleep. I wasn’t well recovered.

But I know that I own these triples now. I’ll just carry on with the two last workouts, eat and sleep well until then.
I’ll also try the John protocol for Friday ☺️

@bgn @DC3 what are your plans after phase 1?

I talked to @Geoff Neupert about this by email and am very tempted to carry on with slow and steady to keep the same kind of layout as phase 1. And probably transition to the Giant later on. I just love double C&P.
hey Mate, hows your life on the ship? Hope all is well at your end.

Friday will decide what will happen in Phase 2. If I can do 9-10 reps with two 36kgs without 'fighting too much' for it then I will do Short Course. Anything less than that and I do Slow & Steady. Unless I will listen to voice of reason (looking at you @John Grahill dear Sir) and stick with something that works without killing me then Slow & Steady it is.

Then Phase 3.

If I do it with Slow and Steady, then it means 21 weeks (Phase 2+3) from next Monday and last workout of this Program will happen on October 29th.

After STRONG I'll immediately jump to do The One = last workout will be Dec 3rd.

Rest of December I will eat and sleep and eat some more and sleep even more. Just rest and not doing much. XMas period for me is time where I prefer to just chill and ensure i have time for family.

After that is still a toss between STRONG and EXTREME...

I'd like to start STRONG again on January 3rd, this time with 2x40kgs. I enjoy it. I'm getting more athletic, little extra padding here and there, thinking process is completely removed for me (something I'm always able to mess up), simplicity of this program makes me happy, and lastly, this is the first program that I do and don't fail reps. As silly as it sounds: Not failing reps means to me a lot and allows me to stay positive, look forward to working out and enjoy it. STRONG allowed me to enjoy lifting weights once again. So I will try again.

Other option is to do EXTREME but to do that I would need to have working knees. Will try to address my knee problems while doing this run of STRONG and then make final decision during my break in December.

Wow when I first saw your macro tracking I thought that was the numbers of Cleans, Presses and Front-squats you had done ?
haha :) , I don't think i would ever be able to walk again after that volume of squats. Thanks for your faith in me .

hey Mate, hows your life on the ship? Hope all is well at your end.

Friday will decide what will happen in Phase 2. If I can do 9-10 reps with two 36kgs without 'fighting too much' for it then I will do Short Course. Anything less than that and I do Slow & Steady. Unless I will listen to voice of reason (looking at you @John Grahill dear Sir) and stick with something that works without killing me then Slow & Steady it is.

Then Phase 3.

If I do it with Slow and Steady, then it means 21 weeks (Phase 2+3) from next Monday and last workout of this Program will happen on October 29th.

After STRONG I'll immediately jump to do The One = last workout will be Dec 3rd.

Rest of December I will eat and sleep and eat some more and sleep even more. Just rest and not doing much. XMas period for me is time where I prefer to just chill and ensure i have time for family.

After that is still a toss between STRONG and EXTREME...

I'd like to start STRONG again on January 3rd, this time with 2x40kgs. I enjoy it. I'm getting more athletic, little extra padding here and there, thinking process is completely removed for me (something I'm always able to mess up), simplicity of this program makes me happy, and lastly, this is the first program that I do and don't fail reps. As silly as it sounds: Not failing reps means to me a lot and allows me to stay positive, look forward to working out and enjoy it. STRONG allowed me to enjoy lifting weights once again. So I will try again.

Other option is to do EXTREME but to do that I would need to have working knees. Will try to address my knee problems while doing this run of STRONG and then make final decision during my break in December.
Wow! You're a beast 2x36kg!

I'm about to finish 3rd phase in a week. I loved this program, I really enjoyed it a lot, even though I stressed myself when I started to fail finishing some workouts. Now I am doing good but I still feel the pressure of failure every workout.

Next I'm planning to jump to a double C&P + double FS (Dry fighting weight, total tension or moving target). I really missed leg work in this program. If it added some DFS and pull-ups, I would stick with it forever.

Back
Top Bottom