all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

If and when I finish Strong “Slow and Steady” do I need to perform a “de-load” week? Could someone please explain what a “de-load” week is and how to perform it? Thank you in advance.

Blessings,

Monday I’m up to max reps and sets for phase 2. 10x4 today was easy, 1:35 rest but could have reduced that, so easy I did 36 reps x 30m carries with my 24’s after. Just over a kilometre haha. Work capacity has gone through the roof.

W45 today, 10x6 @2:25 rest. Last few sets were tough, but I got through. Phase 3 almost here. Can’t believe it !

People who have finished phase 3, what strategies did you use to bring rest times down? I doubt I’ll be able to reduce rest times as fast as it’s written, I’ll need more time definitely

People who have finished phase 3, what strategies did you use to bring rest times down? I doubt I’ll be able to reduce rest times as fast as it’s written, I’ll need more time definitely
I was conscious of AND disciplined about my rest periods throughout Phase 2. Without giving away the rep scheme, I kept trying to reduce my rest times until I could do the previous week's lifts on the minute.

I really liked Phase 3. It was challenging but not impossible. I felt tired at the end of the set. BUT I felt like I accomplished something after each session.

I was conscious of AND disciplined about my rest periods throughout Phase 2. Without giving away the rep scheme, I kept trying to reduce my rest times until I could do the previous week's lifts on the minute.

I really liked Phase 3. It was challenging but not impossible. I felt tired at the end of the set. BUT I felt like I accomplished something after each session.
Yeah, I think I made a mistake not watching the clock early on. It’s going to mean it’ll take me longer but, I’ll get there. I think getting used to 10x6 3 times a week will take a while itself, let alone timed. Looking forward to it though, I’ve adapted to everything so far, it’s taken me longer than the prescribed time, but I’m still happy I’m getting there.

Yeah, I think I made a mistake not watching the clock early on. It’s going to mean it’ll take me longer but, I’ll get there. I think getting used to 10x6 3 times a week will take a while itself, let alone timed. Looking forward to it though, I’ve adapted to everything so far, it’s taken me longer than the prescribed time, but I’m still happy I’m getting there.
You can do it!

What is your experience on changing kettlebell weight after a Strong! cycle?
I'm quietly continuing with phase 2, 2 times a week @2x24kg. Everything is going well.
Next weight: 2x32 or 2x28?
Thanks

I'm quietly continuing with phase 2, 2 times a week @2x24kg. Everything is going well.
Thanks
I'd estimate you need at least 13 reps with the 24s to get 4 reps with the 32s.
Based on 1RM = m x 36 / (37 - RM)
or 24 kg x 36 / 24 = 36 kg = 32 kg x 36 / 32

Thanks
I’ve been doing phase 2 2x24’s for months, I’ve got 1 session to go before I do the rep max, then start phase 3. I’m confident I could start phase 1 with 28’s, but I know id struggle with my 32’s. It’s possible I could do phase 1, but I’d need to do push press, and I’d need to do phase 1 a few times in a row before I was ready for phase 2.

If you can handle straight to 32’s you should.

I had a “things are going so well, how can I f$&k it up” moment. I’ve been adding Carries with the bells after Strong. But I did too much too soon and aggravated my knee. Lost a few days, but back into it this morning. I have one more session, then I’m up to the rep max after phase 2, then phase 3 begins.

Curious to see the rep max.

Last edited:
Thanks
This is a long answer to your short question. I progressed very conservatively.

Last year I used 24k bells for Strong. I made very nice progress with 24s during Phase 1. I decided to test the 28k bells. On 6.10.22 I got two reps. On 9.30.22 at the end of Phase 2 I got 5 reps with the 28k bells. This caused me to debate whether or not I should start Stong over again with 28s.

I really wanted to do the Giant so I stayed the course with Strong and completed Phase 3 with the 24s.

I then did all 3 Phases of The Giant X Beta test with the 24k bells. For my rep test at the end of each phase, I tested with the 28s. Phase 1 was 9 reps. Phase 2 was 8 reps. Phase 3 was 8 reps.

At the end of Phase 3 Giant X, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't at a 10 RPM with the 28s. I decided that I needed to actually Do a program with the 28s to unlock my 10 RPM.

I ran Kettle Burn Extreme with the 28s as my A Workout bells. At the end of KBE my rep max test went great. I got 10 reps with the 28s and 3 solid reps with the 32s. (My previous record with the 32s was one Clean and Press and one clean.) I COULD have pushed it and struggled through another rep to get 4 reps with the 32s, I decided it would not be a good idea.

In September, I plan to begin another go at Strong with the 32k bells.

I like this path I followed with the 24k and 28k bells. I will modify it a little for the 32s. I plan to run all 3 Phases of Strong again. Then I will run Maximorum with the 32s for DCP & DFSQ. Then I will run the original Giant (I still haven't done the original program.)

Thanks

January I did GIANT 3.0 and now I have two more weeks of Slow and Steady using 24’s my thought “today” just start the low rep STRONG strength cycle with 28’s. The ideal would be the strength cycle then Slow and Steady but that would take me to the the end of 2023. Not sure I have the mental toughness for that but willing to be encouraged.

I could do Giant 1.0 but the ramping up with Strong works well for me.

Last edited:
January I did GIANT 3.0 and have now I have two more weeks of Slow and Steady using 24’s my thought “today” just start the low rep STRONG strength cycle with 28’s. The ideal would be the strength cycle then Slow and Steady but that would take me to the the end of 2023. Not sure I have the mental toughness for that but willing to be encouraged.

I could do Giant 1.0 but the ramping up with Strong works well for me.
It’s taken me 10 months to finish phase 2. I had a few niggling injuries where I had to pause to sort out, but then got back to it. Phase 3 will take me longer than written, definitely.

It is a grind sometimes doing just C&P only, and I’ll do a few full body month long programs when I’m done, but I have 28’s and 32’s and I plan on going through strong with those as well. Probably be 2 years +, IF I get that far haha

REP MAX! Managed 10 reps for my rep max. I looked back at when i started, I had to start Strong with Push Press, as I could barely get 2 reps strict press. Big difference and pretty happy with it!.

I then did 3 more sets AMRAP, all 3 sets of 8.

Onto phase 3! Im going to need some kind of strategy here, as my rest times aren’t quite there yet, but I’ll figure it out

REP MAX! Managed 10 reps for my rep max. I looked back at when i started, I had to start Strong with Push Press, as I could barely get 2 reps strict press. Big difference and pretty happy with it!.

I then did 3 more sets AMRAP, all 3 sets of 8.

Onto phase 3! Im going to need some kind of strategy here, as my rest times aren’t quite there yet, but I’ll figure it out
Nice work!! You should be very proud of yourself!! Phase 3 should be scared of you!

Back
Top Bottom