all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell STRONG (Neupert)

@Henda - thanks for kind words but I’m just a fat boy that tries to use extra padding to my advantage.

food:
Jun-1: 121 P / 133 C / 124 F / 2170 kcal
Jun-2: 249 P / 52 C / 46 F / 1666 kcal

workout #23 has been done and it was uneventful. Very busy at work; yesterday worked almost 16 hrs and today I’ve managed to squeeze workout only after 6pm. Both days I had only one meal. Yesterday was so tired that only thing I had was Whataburger “food”. Today’s food was better: chicken, black beans, spinach.

waiting for Friday now and let’s see how it all worked out for me.

@Henda - thanks for kind words but I’m just a fat boy that tries to use extra padding to my advantage.

food:
Jun-1: 121 P / 133 C / 124 F / 2170 kcal
Jun-2: 249 P / 52 C / 46 F / 1666 kcal

workout #23 has been done and it was uneventful. Very busy at work; yesterday worked almost 16 hrs and today I’ve managed to squeeze workout only after 6pm. Both days I had only one meal. Yesterday was so tired that only thing I had was Whataburger “food”. Today’s food was better: chicken, black beans, spinach.

waiting for Friday now and let’s see how it all worked out for me.
Just a fat and strong guy you should have said!
I my self can't even press a single 32kg bell once, not to say two.

Workout 23 went great yesterday. I completed the DCP's in 19 minutes. I added a finisher of 2H Swings (28KG) x 10 + 5 Ab Wheel rollouts for 5 rounds. Then 1 minute plank + 10 Bird Dogs each side for 2 rounds. Completed in 14:20.

Phase 2 is going to be the Short Course for me. This is strictly due to scheduling as it will put me in week 3 of fat loss/conditioning when we head off to beach for vacation.

Let me also add that I believe I'm having the classic huge early response to KB Strong DCP's even at 45 due to the fact that overhead work is probably the thing I have trained the least throughout my life. I was a basketball and soccer player all the way through high school, the military and even into my mid 30's. Even in the gym when working with the barbell it was mostly back squats, deadlifts, rows and bench press. Occasionally light cleans for explosiveness. I've really held my shoulders back it seems. So, a few weekends ago I picked up the Giant. @Geoff Neupert hasn't let me down yet, so why not. That is my next big planned program. I haven't decided yet but after finishing that last week of KB Strong I may run through a short 2-6 week program before starting the Giant. I plan on running it completely through all versions.

Good Morning Everyone. Happy Friday!

Workout # 24 done. Used something very similar to what @John Grahill suggested:
warmed up with following sets - had 3-5 mins of rest between each set:
3 reps @ 2x24kg
5 reps @ 2x24kg
3 reps @ 2x32kg
1 rep @ 2x36kg
1 rep @ 2x36kg

rest 5 mins

10 reps @ 2x36kg. Took me 1m20s to go through it. Got a little bit out of breath.

On 11th April I did 3 reps + 1 rep with extra body language.

Today I did 10 reps while:
- having less than optimal diet, still being fatboy
- slept between 11pm and 4am today (only 5 hrs)
- not pressing anything above 3 reps in 8 weeks

This is amazing result. 250%+ strength increase. Never managed to get that in 8 weeks.

It works!!!

Thank you @Geoff Neupert !!! I've sent video to your personal inbox.

Moving to less interesting things:
3-Jun: 190 P / 162 C / 124 F / 2560 kcal
4- Jun: 260 P / 110 C / 42 F / 1720 kcal

Recapping Phase 1 Test Day:
Warm Up I did some OS movements and 5 Mace 360's each way with a 10 pounder.

I only have a single 12KG so I did 3 sets of triples of right and left. I then did DCP's with 16KG, 3 sets of doubles. I then started a ladder with the 20KG's and did 1,2,3, 10! At that point I wanted to see how I could clean and press my single 24KG. I did 3 right and then 3 left (last rep push press). Then 2 right and 2 left(2nd push press). Then 1 right and 1 left. I then did 3 more sets of DCP's triples with my 20KG's. Wow.

At the beginning of this year I was using 16KG for presses while doing Simple Strength for difficult times. When I tried to add 20KG into that program for the presses I could get 2 with my right and 1 left. That was it. In March I could finally get out 3 each side doing single arm presses in W.OD. Now I have 10RM with these bells and I'm pressing the 24KG. Not bad for a smaller guy who had a tweak in his left shoulder and really weak presses period. A big key for me is using the keys to create a ton of tension all the way through. In fact it wasn't my left shoulder that first started to feel it when testing my RM but my lower legs from all the tension.

Thanks @Geoff Neupert With 20's now being my 10 RM I'm wondering if I should follow the 4 week Phase 2 as planned or possibly start week 1 with the reps of week 2 and adjust week 4 for higher reps?

Happy Monday everyone! hope yours is as good as it can be.

@Jean-Marie - how did your test go?

I've forgotten to mention that there is a nice side effect of Phase 1 - I have lost 12 lbs (5.4 kg) in 8 weeks. Which given my starting point is not much but I just wanted to share it.

I have decided to do "Slow & Steady" due to following factors:
1. "Slow & Steady" has similar weaviness and progression to Phase 1 and I can see that Phase 1 works
2. Job is getting crazy, that plus studying and family life means my sleeping pattern started to be 'opportunistic' and eating is not as clean as it should be.
3. I can definitely do better when it comes to crispiness of clean and press - 12 more week of Slow & Steady should help me with that.

Recapping Phase 1 Test Day:
Warm Up I did some OS movements and 5 Mace 360's each way with a 10 pounder.

I only have a single 12KG so I did 3 sets of triples of right and left. I then did DCP's with 16KG, 3 sets of doubles. I then started a ladder with the 20KG's and did 1,2,3, 10! At that point I wanted to see how I could clean and press my single 24KG. I did 3 right and then 3 left (last rep push press). Then 2 right and 2 left(2nd push press). Then 1 right and 1 left. I then did 3 more sets of DCP's triples with my 20KG's. Wow.

At the beginning of this year I was using 16KG for presses while doing Simple Strength for difficult times. When I tried to add 20KG into that program for the presses I could get 2 with my right and 1 left. That was it. In March I could finally get out 3 each side doing single arm presses in W.OD. Now I have 10RM with these bells and I'm pressing the 24KG. Not bad for a smaller guy who had a tweak in his left shoulder and really weak presses period. A big key for me is using the keys to create a ton of tension all the way through. In fact it wasn't my left shoulder that first started to feel it when testing my RM but my lower legs from all the tension.

Thanks @Geoff Neupert With 20's now being my 10 RM I'm wondering if I should follow the 4 week Phase 2 as planned or possibly start week 1 with the reps of week 2 and adjust week 4 for higher reps?
Just my advice from having done it.. .. Do phase 2 as is, either slow and steady or short course. Use the first week as a treat because it gets intense for sure!

Reactions: DC3
Hello everyone,

@bgn The test was not that easy on Friday. The ship was rolling a lot. But I still wanted to be in schedule so I did the test and got 6 reps. I kind of felt I could have squeezed one or two more reps. So I tried again the next day. Still 6 reps, I was still a little sore from the first test but anyway. I am content keeping 6 strict C&P as my TRM. Especially given I started the program with push presses. My strict presses were not even a 1RM to start with.

Now I’m facing a dilemma. I feel capable of going on with slow and steady. Sets of 3 and 4 are roughly 60% of my max and I really love the way it is laid out, similar to phase 1
But I only have 4 weeks remaining on board and then, I’ll go on vacation and maybe I will not be able to have my two bells with me for 16weeks straight.
So I was thinking maybe doing Dry Fighting Weight to solidify my pressing strength in the low rep range. I think the squats would make my whole body a better pressing platform too.
I’m also a little calorie restricted right now. I think getting to higher reps will be a lot of fun when I’ll eat back to maintenance.
During vacation I think I’ll only have one bell with me. I’ll do 8 weeks of ROP I think. (Still a lot of pressing volume, even though one handed)

I plan to come back to Doubles in September. I’ll do a new RM test and choose between Short Course, Slow and Steady or maybe even The Giant :)

I also share my plan with @Geoff Neupert, I’m curious to get his insight about this course of action.

@bgn I’ll continue to check this thread and your progress. Can’t wait to be back to this plan !

Happy Monday everyone! hope yours is as good as it can be.

@Jean-Marie - how did your test go?

I've forgotten to mention that there is a nice side effect of Phase 1 - I have lost 12 lbs (5.4 kg) in 8 weeks. Which given my starting point is not much but I just wanted to share it.

I have decided to do "Slow & Steady" due to following factors:
1. "Slow & Steady" has similar weaviness and progression to Phase 1 and I can see that Phase 1 works
2. Job is getting crazy, that plus studying and family life means my sleeping pattern started to be 'opportunistic' and eating is not as clean as it should be.
3. I can definitely do better when it comes to crispiness of clean and press - 12 more week of Slow & Steady should help me with that.
You made the right move for sure, especially considering the "extra life stuff" going on in your day to day living!

Watching your diet and training heavy you dropped 12 pounds....I think that's awesome!

Hello everyone,

@bgn The test was not that easy on Friday. The ship was rolling a lot. But I still wanted to be in schedule so I did the test and got 6 reps. I kind of felt I could have squeezed one or two more reps. So I tried again the next day. Still 6 reps, I was still a little sore from the first test but anyway. I am content keeping 6 strict C&P as my TRM. Especially given I started the program with push presses. My strict presses were not even a 1RM to start with.

Now I’m facing a dilemma. I feel capable of going on with slow and steady. Sets of 3 and 4 are roughly 60% of my max and I really love the way it is laid out, similar to phase 1
But I only have 4 weeks remaining on board and then, I’ll go on vacation and maybe I will not be able to have my two bells with me for 16weeks straight.
So I was thinking maybe doing Dry Fighting Weight to solidify my pressing strength in the low rep range. I think the squats would make my whole body a better pressing platform too.
I’m also a little calorie restricted right now. I think getting to higher reps will be a lot of fun when I’ll eat back to maintenance.
During vacation I think I’ll only have one bell with me. I’ll do 8 weeks of ROP I think. (Still a lot of pressing volume, even though one handed)

I plan to come back to Doubles in September. I’ll do a new RM test and choose between Short Course, Slow and Steady or maybe even The Giant :)

I also share my plan with @Geoff Neupert, I’m curious to get his insight about this course of action.

@bgn I’ll continue to check this thread and your progress. Can’t wait to be back to this plan !
Again, no expert but have you considered doing the Giant 3.0 for 4 weeks, then returning to Strong Phase 2 and using the "slow and steady"?

Also, one thing I love about kettlebells is their ability to travel with you! Take em with ya!

Hello @John Grahill,

I also thought about this option, The giant is very appealing with the auto regulation in it. For travelling, I’m not sure yet as I will have to take the train and another boat. So Doubles + my luggage could be a challenge ?

There is a KB in my destination waiting for me. So I thought I could travel light and use it.

Back
Top Bottom